+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel

Thread: Questions - a lot of them

Soulwalker

Default Questions - a lot of them

OK, I have a some questions about specific things relevant for rogues. I asked my brother who is relatively new to 60 but he only knew about clerics and not much about them also. Then i turned to ingame chat and asked some questions there. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY RIFT LIFE!!! Those people there are vicious, mean, bitter and generally not at all helpful (1-50 chat - i tried them all).

One day I would like to be a tank in a raiding guild (I have a lot of experience with tanking in other games, LoTRO primarily) but as i heard I should focus first at DPS role and learning the dungeons, raids and all other group content and only then try gearing as a tank and tanking. That seems reasonable, but i heard that gearing process (grind?) is really bad. On the other hand I heard people can be raid ready in under one week? I don't know what to believe here. I DO NOT want to be carried through content and geared by guildies.

Currently I am just starting SL soon. Builds that I am using (rotating) are: Devastating Untarnished Nobility, Granpa said knock you out, one predefined role and one that i tinkered with (it's not very good ).

OK, questions incoming...
    * If my end goal is tanking, should i first try DPS gearing and later tank gearing (grind?) or go straight for tanking gear (I am guessing dps and then tank but I want to make sure)
    * What stats should I aim for as dps/tank and in what order of importance? (crit rating, attack power or crit power for dps) for tank I read this: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...rm-legion.html - is that still relevant after 2.4?
    * I heard there are almost BiS crafted gear items. My brother said that he got himself really good crafted rings, helmet, belt, seal and 2h weapon. I suppose there is something like that for rogues also. Would you mind listing the exact names of said items if they do exist and can be crafted. My brother has all professions and can craft a lot of stuff. Best I could find was this: http://rift.magelo.com/en/items?r=10...&f=fg_0|a4_0_1
    * If the builds I am currently using are not good or are out of date, please advise a better one (with a guide preferably )
    * What specific essences should i be aiming for (dps/tank). My brother said that venerated ones are the best but it is a grind to get them - I don't mind the grind but i would like to have a specific aim to get a specific one(s) (so i don't mess up like my brother and throw away 25k planarite and 9k infinity stones). Apparently greater ones are not worth it for Clerics, does the same apply for Roruges?
    * I have a tone more questions but these are the ones that were bugging me the most. I learned a lot by watching my brother and talking to him. Forum is a great source of information but its a problem finding relevant and up to date information.

I do not want to join a guild just yet because they will probably hurry me up to level faster and i want to do it in my own pace. I will join one eventually when I am 58-59.

Please answer my questions or point me in the right direction if something was answered in other post or part of the forum.
    Thank you in advance for helping a newbie out!

PS. If you guys (girls) answer these questions, I will follow up with a few less important ones.

tl;dr newbie needs help, plz answer questions or point me in the right directions

If you want to tank raids you need to find a guild that needs raid tanks. There are limited spots for this since most encounters only need 2 tanks, occasionally an encounter will need 3 or 4. If the guild knows you are gearing up for tanking then they will help you get appropriate gear. But of course you need to be level 60 first. There's no reason you need to focus on tanking before then, though it is easier to get into queues if you can tank, it's much more difficult to tank while leveling because of the difficulty of getting good tanking gear and differences in level.

You can prioritize tanking gear but for actually learning encounters it is easier to start as a DPS. The tank is usually expected to know the encounter and fill a leadership role (in random groups). It's easiest to learn encounters while tanking in guild groups.

For raid tanking, Endurance. That's really all you need to go after. If the endurance is the same then the priority is: Dexterity > Deflect > Strength > Parry=Dodge. Very few raid encounters have large amounts of deflectable or avoidable damage so Endurance is the only stat you can stack that really matters. Armor and Resistance are important as well but you can't do much to directly improve those except by using a higher tier of gear.

Crafted items generally have very high Endurance for their tier because of the Endurance augment you can apply. Be careful though as they will still have a lower hit/toughness value that higher tier items. You need 320 Hit/300 Toughness to tank experts effectively, 420/400 for T1 raids, and 520/500 for T2 raids. There's no value in going above these numbers except to prepare for the next tier.

For specific rogue tanking info check out Muspel's Riftstalker guide.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 09-25-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Soulwalker

Thank you for the quick reply. You basically answered my tanking questions and confirmed what a lot of people said (no need for so-so tanks, only good players and limited spots in raids)

Can you or anyone else answer my DPS questions? Since, it looks like I should first take care of that? Of course if people have more to say about tanking I would love to hear it also

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Standie View Post
    * What stats should I aim for as dps/tank and in what order of importance? (crit rating, attack power or crit power for dps)
    I'm pretty sure it's still Atk power first as many of the DPS abilites work off this. Crit power would be next and can be helpful for bigger crits. However, trying to cap it is pretty hard from what I understand. It's also only for a specific DPS spec that it would really shine at the very top end of min/max'ing your toon. (but your aiming to tank so its not a huge concern).

Then there's crit rating. This doesn't go very high at all, and it's basically how "often" you crit. Your going to crit alot once you get some decent gear anyway, so this one isn't extremly important to you either.

Dex is your main stat for all things DPS, but also doubles for deflect iirc. Endurance as mentioned, is your focus for tanking. Str also works for rogues but at 1/2 (or less) the value. so if 1 dex=1 ap, then Str is like .5 or less (I forget, but its worth saying it does SOMEthing for us, just very very minimal)

Quote Originally Posted by Standie View Post
    * If my end goal is tanking, should i first try DPS gearing and later tank gearing (grind?) or go straight for tanking gear (I am guessing dps and then tank but I want to make sure)
    * What stats should I aim for as dps/tank and in what order of importance? (crit rating, attack power or crit power for dps) for tank I read this: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...rm-legion.html - is that still relevant after 2.4?
    * I heard there are almost BiS crafted gear items. My brother said that he got himself really good crafted rings, helmet, belt, seal and 2h weapon. I suppose there is something like that for rogues also. Would you mind listing the exact names of said items if they do exist and can be crafted. My brother has all professions and can craft a lot of stuff. Best I could find was this: http://rift.magelo.com/en/items?r=10...&f=fg_0|a4_0_1
    * If the builds I am currently using are not good or are out of date, please advise a better one (with a guide preferably )
    * What specific essences should i be aiming for (dps/tank). My brother said that venerated ones are the best but it is a grind to get them - I don't mind the grind but i would like to have a specific aim to get a specific one(s) (so i don't mess up like my brother and throw away 25k planarite and 9k infinity stones). Apparently greater ones are not worth it for Clerics, does the same apply for Roruges?
    * I have a tone more questions but these are the ones that were bugging me the most. I learned a lot by watching my brother and talking to him. Forum is a great source of information but its a problem finding relevant and up to date information.
    1. You don't need any tank gear until level 60, at which point bosses gain amplified critical damage multipliers that you'll need Toughness to negate. You can tank in your DPS gear until then.
    2. For DPS, it depends on the spec. Most specs want crit power. Bladedancer wants AP, and Ranger stacks CP up until ~500, then goes for AP. The information in my tanking guide is still up-to-date, so just stack endurance like it recommends.
    3. For DPS, the crafted item names generally begin with "furious". Tanking items begin with "fortified". Make sure that you're using a decent augment when you craft them-- many of the ones posted on the AH use terrible low level augments. The crafted weapons and the absolute top-end seal are probably going to be too expensive for you, though, unless you have thousands of plat to spare.
    4. You only listed two soloing builds, both of which are decent enough (but should not be used in dungeons or raids).
    5. The venerated essences are best in slot. Some of the venerated lesser essences can be combined with greater essences to form a relic quality greater essence that has both stats and a proc-- these are worth using, but the greater essences that you use to upgrade them are extremely expensive, so I wouldn't worry about it until you've gotten all of the other important stuff that plat can buy you.
    Last edited by Muspel; 09-25-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Soulwalker

I should have been more specific but all my questions were aimed at level 60 not my current level. I just wanted to know is there anything I can do (wrong) pre level 60.

Thank you again. You guys pretty much answered all my questions.

I know you all are probably sick of questions that I am about to ask but since you have been really helpful I thought I would take advantage of that.

What is the best beginner ranged spec for a rogue dps for experts and later for raids (since it seems Ill have to do that first). I know there is no definitive answer for this question but if most people say something it usually is right (usually). I don't want it to seem like I am lazy and do know know how to use the search function or do not know where the rogue guide section is, but there is a lot of information there and people keep necroing threads and giving bad information or bad macros. Guide for the spec would be ideal

I did some research but I wanted to ask you guys, what spec would give me decent dps (when i gear up a little) and give me the chance to observe what the tank is doing from a far so eventually I know what to do? I don't mind melee eventually but for start I would like a ranged spec.

Guides I found that could be helpful (so I don't look like a lazy new guy that wants all the info without doing the research):
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...rm-legion.html (with a few variants)

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...dps-guide.html (with a few variants)

and looks like this is THE one for tanking
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...rm-legion.html (with a few variants)

please answer, advise, comment, call me a newb ...

thank you in advance

No no there's an answer. Its 61 marksman and I think muspels guide is the one on the front page. Despite what you think, rift players are nice. If you need to learn an encounter just ask your team about it and 99% of the time they will help you. 1% it'll be a ******* premade guildie thing that will kick you
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Yes, use Marksman to start. Not only is it less of a hassle to play, it also has an interrupt and a purge that will help a lot for Experts.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    No no there's an answer. Its 61 marksman and I think muspels guide is the one on the front page. Despite what you think, rift players are nice. If you need to learn an encounter just ask your team about it and 99% of the time they will help you. 1% it'll be a ******* premade guildie thing that will kick you
    Good premade guild groups will carry a couple of newbies without problems as long as they are at least trying. Kicking is reserved for when the person is just afk, disconnected or otherwise an extreme case. I see a lot more drama in full pugs.

Soulwalker

So, looks like the Marksman is the way to go for ranged dps.

Thank you all again for helping me and answering all my questions. I may have some more questions over the weekend when I get to play a little more.

Thank you again

Well, Marksman is the way to go in expert dungeons because of its flexibility. It's significantly less useful in raids, because while it can do a lot of stuff fairly well, you'll generally want more specialized specs for specific encounters. There are raid bosses where it gets used, but you'll also want to learn other DPS specs as well, such as Assassin, Tactman, Nightblade, and Ranger.
    Last edited by Muspel; 09-27-2013 at 11:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread