+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Assasin macro help

Soulwalker

Default Assasin macro help

I have been playing assassin spec a lot lately and am likening it. I was wanting to set up macro's to help dish out as much dps as I can. I mainly do pvp and am only lvl 45. I am not very familiar on what abilities I can use in a macro together. It seems that when I tried puncture and savage strike in the same macro it would only cast puncture. Am I doing something wrong? I am still learning the class and am just looking for help. I was hoping to also find a sin pvp spec but the one on here was an old one. Is sin even a viable pvp spec? Sorry if I seem clueless, because I am

Champion of Telara

As a starting point you should only macro skills with a cooldown. They dont work sequentially, they just use the first available skill in the macro. You can use modifiers in them but personally I dont like them so i dont know much about them. If you look around there are macro writing guides lurking somewhere.

Assasin isnt that macro friendly really - i barely use any. I have one that uses Backstab then Serpent strike then savage strike and one that uses thread of death which you wont have yet but thats about it.

Soulwalker

Just do a search for them, you'll find a lot.

Remember you can put "proc", off the gcd abilities, in your builder macro and never worry about using them.

My builder macro has +/- 8 abilites I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post

Assasin isnt that macro friendly really.
    This is just not correct at all IMO.
    Last edited by Nuuguy; 09-24-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuguy View Post
    Just do a search for them, you'll find a lot.

Remember you can put "proc", off the gcd abilities, in your builder macro and never worry about using them.

My builder macro has +/- 8 abilites I think.

This is just not correct at all IMO.
    Terrible advice, on par with that Klown guy that posted a guide in the guides forum.

The only macro you should have as 61 sin is:

cast thread of death
    cast jagged strike

Quote Originally Posted by Zazen View Post
    Terrible advice, on par with that Klown guy that posted a guide in the guides forum.

The only macro you should have as 61 sin is:

cast thread of death
    cast jagged strike
    Not entirely true. I use three macros. There's the one you just listed, and the following two builder macros:

#show Serpent Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Swift Shot
    cast Serpent Strike

#show Backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Swift Shot

I have Karuul Alerts set up to monitor the cooldown of Serpent Strike and the duration of Serpent Pose, and I use the second macro if I don't have a proc (or if I'm at 4CPs and I don't want to waste one).

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    #show Backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Swift Shot
    Wasn't it inadvisable to macro Swift Shot in the builder due to the bug where you continue to use it even when you've already moved to melee range?

Quote Originally Posted by Scyd View Post
    Wasn't it inadvisable to macro Swift Shot in the builder due to the bug where you continue to use it even when you've already moved to melee range?
    Swift Shot cannot be used in melee range unless you have Close Quarters Combat.

Swift Shot cannot be used in melee range unless you have Close Quarters Combat.
    It can; you're thinking of Quick Shot

RIFT Guide Writer

Usually if you are melee the game considers you to be both under 3 meters and over 3 meters from your target at the same time. This happens because the ranged abilties' minimum range check is to the center of hitbox while the maximum range check is to the edge of the hitbox. This is most clear on bosses with huge hitboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Usually if you are melee the game considers you to be both under 3 meters and over 3 meters from your target at the same time. This happens because the ranged abilties' minimum range check is to the center of hitbox while the maximum range check is to the edge of the hitbox. This is most clear on bosses with huge hitboxes.
    mind blown

Oddly, I haven't ever had any issues with Assassin firing off ranged abilities in melee. Not sure why it happens so much for Bladedancer but not for Assassin.

Not entirely true. I use three macros. There's the one you just listed, and the following two builder macros:

#show Serpent Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Swift Shot
    cast Serpent Strike

#show Backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Swift Shot

I have Karuul Alerts set up to monitor the cooldown of Serpent Strike and the duration of Serpent Pose, and I use the second macro if I don't have a proc (or if I'm at 4CPs and I don't want to waste one).
    I'm not a fan of either of those macros because on movement you can fire off a Swift Shot instead of waiting the fraction of a second to get off the Backstab/Savage Strike. I manually do Swift Shot when I know I'm going to be out of range. Though I forgot I do have the above macros without the Swift Shot. However, 8 abilities in a builder macro for 61 Assassin is ill-advised.
    Last edited by Zazen; 09-25-2013 at 03:43 PM.

#show Serpent Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Swift Shot
    cast Serpent Strike

#show Backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Swift Shot

are you sure you actually play a sin?

swift shot in your spam macro does not work, you just end up shooting someone in their back when you should be using backstab. anyone who has tried it knows this.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    are you sure you actually play a sin?

swift shot in your spam macro does not work, you just end up shooting someone in their back when you should be using backstab. anyone who has tried it knows this.
    Are you sure you play a sin? Swift Shot only fires when you're outside melee range. If Backstab is on CD (or you're not behind the target) and you're within melee range, Savage Strike will fire. The only other circumstance that Swift Shot could possibly have fired even at melee range is if the energy costs were different (and you were energy starved), however they are not in the 61 sin spec.
    Last edited by Zazen; 09-26-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazen View Post
    Are you sure you play a sin? Swift Shot only fires when you're outside melee range. If Backstab is on CD (or you're not behind the target) and you're within melee range, Savage Strike will fire. The only other circumstance that Swift Shot could possibly have fired even at melee range is if the energy costs were different (and you were energy starved), however they are not in the 61 sin spec.
    Pretty sure he's talking about the weapon swap bug, where it takes a few seconds to swap back to your melee weapon after running back into melee, which will cause macros to fire off abilities that do not require melee weapons. You can easily see this in action by switching to a tank spec, using Quick Shot, running into melee, then immediately pressing your Ruthless Stalker macro-- it'll fire off Shadow Stalk instead of Shadow Assault or Shadow Blitz, since the latter two require a melee weapon. You can generally force a swap back to melee weapons by using an ability that requires a melee weapon (or a macro that only has melee abilities in it).

However, like I noted earlier, this bug doesn't seem to affect me when I play Assassin for some reason. It possibly has something to do with the fact that I'm generally at 5 CPs when I reenter melee, meaning I'll start with a finisher and force the weapon swap. Or maybe it's because there's an oGCD melee builder in there? Or maybe it has to do with Leaping Plunge, which I usually use to close in.
    Last edited by Muspel; 09-26-2013 at 09:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast