+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ranger melee range

Default ranger melee range

Ok so i prefer to use ranger for warfronts but i hate that rangers cant attack in melee range. It would be nice if this was changed in a future update and i don't think its too much to ask for but would defiantly help a lot especially considering the limited mobility to move out of melee range.

Plane Walker

I don't understand the reasoning behind ranged classes not being to attack at melee range. Getting into melee range for ranged classes is already a disadvantage for them, not being able to attack too is just adding insult to injury.

IMO all ranged classes should have the limitation removed, not just ranger.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Scyd View Post
    I don't understand the reasoning behind ranged classes not being to attack at melee range. Getting into melee range for ranged classes is already a disadvantage for them, not being able to attack too is just adding insult to injury.

IMO all ranged classes should have the limitation removed, not just ranger.
    Huh?

Ranger is the only ranged soul with this restriction. Marksman can spec for Close Quarters Combat to negate the penalty. Bard, Saboteur and Tactician do not have this range restriction at all. Nor do the ranged souls in other callings.

And, yes, there's really no reason at all for Ranger to have this restriction at this point. It's just an annoyance for annoyances sake.
    Last edited by Kedon; 09-22-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    Ranger is the only ranged soul with this restriction. Marksman can spec for Close Quarters Combat to negate the penalty. Bard, Saboteur and Tactician do not have this range restriction at all. Nor do the ranged souls in other callings.
    I'm not sure about other callings, but even though skills for the other rogue classes can be used at close range, they will still switch to melee weapons for normal attacks and you'll still get the "too close" message. I guess it's not important, but I find it irritating.

Ascendant

The minimum range requirement is most likely an ancient byproduct of WoW's Hunter when it was released.

WoW has it in place as a balancing act made to Hunter (since hunters had superior range and many tools to create and maintain distance). Hunter in WoW actually had a "Deadzone", this is where the enemy can stand in ~3-5 yd away from the Hunter, where its too close for the hunter to use most of its ranged attacks, while too far for the hunter to use any melee abilities. e.g Mages loved to blink in, FN root hunter in place, stand in deadzone and nuke him to death.

I played wow from Open Beta and quit shortly after TBC. So things could have changed.

Rift continued to use the minimum range limitation but luckily did not impose a deadzone. When Rift was released there was a lot of hybrids, MM and Ranger usually have some melee builders from other melee soul in their macro in case target got too close. -hint- you can still do this while small dps loss over your intended attack, at least you dont get "blank" gcds that you are nothing doing anything.

And as of why MM also put melee builder in their macro back in the days (in case people are wondering), close quarter combat used to be a CD, not passive.

This is the old tooltip for

Close Quarter Combat
    All ranged attacks can be used at melee range for 15 seconds. (Cooldown: 1 minute)

Ya i know the marksman can i just think all classes should be able to attack at melee range with long range.I just enjoy the having a pet but i guess ill just use marksman for warfronts till this is changed if ever. Glad to hear im not the only one thinking this tho.

Quote Originally Posted by WarUltima View Post
    The minimum range requirement is most likely an ancient byproduct of WoW's Hunter when it was released.

WoW has it in place as a balancing act made to Hunter (since hunters had superior range and many tools to create and maintain distance). Hunter in WoW actually had a "Deadzone", this is where the enemy can stand in ~3-5 yd away from the Hunter, where its too close for the hunter to use most of its ranged attacks, while too far for the hunter to use any melee abilities. e.g Mages loved to blink in, FN root hunter in place, stand in deadzone and nuke him to death.

I played wow from Open Beta and quit shortly after TBC. So things could have changed.

Rift continued to use the minimum range limitation but luckily did not impose a deadzone. When Rift was released there was a lot of hybrids, MM and Ranger usually have some melee builders from other melee soul in their macro in case target got too close. -hint- you can still do this while small dps loss over your intended attack, at least you dont get "blank" gcds that you are nothing doing anything.

And as of why MM also put melee builder in their macro back in the days (in case people are wondering), close quarter combat used to be a CD, not passive.

This is the old tooltip for

Close Quarter Combat
    All ranged attacks can be used at melee range for 15 seconds. (Cooldown: 1 minute)
    Ya i use a sin melee move in my macro since i am using the 61ranger 12sin 3rs build but would prefer to not have to use melee at all.

+ Reply to Thread