+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel

Thread: Level 20-40 tank and pvp specs?

Soulwalker

Default Level 20-40 tank and pvp specs?

Was hoping someone could recommend a couple of lower level specs. I'd like to try the rogue tanking gameplay, but I'd like to play something damaging in pvp (sab or tac?), and there are a lot of questionable guides on the guide section.

In general, I like to solo, I like to run dungeons as either support or tank (dps is ok, just not my thing generally), and I want to get into PvP. I've tried the cleric and warrior. Liked the warrior tanking, hated it's pvp, didn't care much for the cleric anything.

Also would appreciate it if they had macro suggestions since, uh, I'm lazy. I'm not looking for the 'one button sab' build that was posted (hah), just casting around.

I enjoy the bard for support in dungeons and solo, is tact or the 'medical tact' preset good/better/worse?

Quote Originally Posted by kroonermanblack View Post
    I'd like to try the rogue tanking gameplay
    Check the Riftstalker guide in my signature.

I'd like to play something damaging in pvp (sab or tac?)
    Use Marksman. Sab and Tactician are AoE specs, and are terrible in warfronts.

I enjoy the bard for support in dungeons and solo, is tact or the 'medical tact' preset good/better/worse?
    Currently, Tactician doesn't really function as a support spec, despite being called as such in-game. It's only really used in Tactician/Marksman hybrid specs for AoE DPS. Generally speaking, it's not the kind of thing you should use in dungeons, especially not at low levels when you're missing critical abilities.

And it's worth noting that Bard isn't worth using in dungeons, either. Pretty much every dungeon in the game can be solo healed, and the group gains significantly more DPS if you just use a DPS spec. Bard is only worth using in raids and sometimes in PvP.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the reply. Might have more in-depth information than I wanted, ha.

I actually liked the 'casual guides' series. I'm never going to be a top-end raider or PVP player, I just want to slog in, have some fun, have a relatively simple rotation (with or without some clever macros), and get on with it.

Sure, this limits me from not mastering the end-game entirely, but given my history of playing games, I get kinda bored with the whole raiding thing anyway, so I'm not worried about it.

I read through the guide, and I don't think blade dancer is for me. Managing the 5 dances, meh. After posting this I fiddled around with tact, and I've enjoyed it in pve so far, seems pretty good at pulling in 5+ mobs at once and keeping me alive, more fun than bard right now too.

Could you explain why AoE specs fail in warfronts? I can see why single target would be beneficial, but is the healing/shielding system in this game so strong that aoe damage is pointless, or is it simply pointless when comparing it to single target MM damage?

Could you explain your comment about support in groups? Should I never bother trying to support, and instead focus on pure dps (so each group effectively becomes 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps, 0 support)? Would that mean I should just run DPS spec's and queue as support/dps?

I read through the guide, and I don't think blade dancer is for me. Managing the 5 dances, meh. After posting this I fiddled around with tact, and I've enjoyed it in pve so far, seems pretty good at pulling in 5+ mobs at once and keeping me alive, more fun than bard right now too.
    Oh, yeah, I'd definitely steer clear of my Bladedancer guide if you're new to the game, it's a fairly complex build. I was talking about the Riftstalker guide.

Could you explain why AoE specs fail in warfronts? I can see why single target would be beneficial, but is the healing/shielding system in this game so strong that aoe damage is pointless, or is it simply pointless when comparing it to single target MM damage?
    AoE damage is reduced in PvP, and healers can easily heal through AoE damage due to how much higher AoE HPS is than ST HPS.

Could you explain your comment about support in groups? Should I never bother trying to support, and instead focus on pure dps (so each group effectively becomes 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps, 0 support)? Would that mean I should just run DPS spec's and queue as support/dps?
    When you queue as support prior to level 60, ask if the healer wants support or not-- some of them may be trying out healing for the first time. At level 60, though, anyone that queues as support will just play DPS 99% of the time, so you don't even need to ask-- the healer will let you know if they need you to switch to support.

Soulwalker

Spiffy. Thanks a lot man.

Is there any particular leveling/solo, and/or dungeon dps/support specs you'd recommend? I'm up to around 30.

For soloing, put 4 points into Tactician (for Curative Engine) and 8 points into Riftstalker (for Boosted Recovery). You can then put the rest of the points into pretty much any soul and you'll do okay, but the best choices for a "main" soul are Nightblade, Bladedancer, and Tactician. If you find that you have survivability issues, put more points into Riftstalker until you're comfortable with your survivability, but it shouldn't be necessary at lower levels.

For dungeons, I'd just use Marksman.

+ Reply to Thread