+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Assassin Help

Soulwalker

Default Assassin Help

Hey everyone,

So - just out of curiosity - does anyone have any suggestions on how to play an assassin? I absolutely love the class, however I'm a big PVP fan. I have one of each class in Rift, and all of them I seem to shine with, except for this one (which is one of my favorites). I have a Champion/Warlord build that seems to out DPS the assassin and be more durable.

I dual wield daggers, and try to keep my dex as high as possible. I usually use Paralyzing strike then backstab to open with instead of assassinate as it seems to pack a better punch than assassinate. I keep lethal and leeching poison on, and I have riftwalker as my secondary. At the moment, I'm only around level 30, but I've definitely been trying pvp in the upper tiers (19, 29) to really test it out. Is Assassin something that shines later? Doesn't shine? Or am I just totally doing something wrong?

Any assassin tips appreciated.

Sin is weak until later on, and then it's sit around until your cooldowns come back up, kill one person, and then tell everyone they suck and you're awesome until your cooldowns come back up.

Also I suggest opening up with Jagged Strike as soon as you get it and use Assassinate until then.
    Even free cost too much now

Soulwalker

Assassin is imo extremely fun late game. Pre lvl 60 I cant say as I never touched it and always played marksman. Really, just focus on leveling right now. If you are really interested in pvp, start at level 50. Leveling from 50 to 60 will more than likely give you enough prestige xp (pvp rank experience) to bring your prestige rank to 50 (which if you plan to pvp is an optimal benchmark so that once you hit 60 you can immediately begin buying pvp gear). Always keep in mind that assassin is a class that is meant to be played a certain way, and utilizing in alternate ways that may be more acceptable for other melee pvp classes will only result in it failing with disgrace for you. Assassin can provide very large amounts of damage over a short period of time FOR a short period of time. Assuming you don't have a pockethealer, you will be squishy (easily killed after your 'burst' dps is finished.). You do have options to make yourself less squishy (some will put more points into the riftstalker soul granting them both an endurance buff and endurance per point spent in the soul, alongside some other damage mitigating abilities depending upon how far into the tree you decide to go) These will modifications will ALWAYS come at the cost of lower dps. The argument for doing so, which is also valid, is that even though you won't put out as much burst dps, your ability to survive is prolonged which will enable you to in the long run put out more dps as you cannot kill anything when you are dead. Your decision to spec into a build with more short term burst and less survivablity versus a spec with less burst dps and more survivability will probably come down to three or four factors. 1 - are you very new to the class? if so, having more survivability prolly will be better for you to kind of learn the assassin class mechanics without being mowed down very quickly by more experienced players. I would suggest this as you first turn 60 so that you can more easily acclimate to the pvp atmosphere (and it does change drastically at end game from previous). 2) Equipment - while this game offers a rather limited 'boost' in having better equipment, when you are fully decked out in end gear, there will absolutely be differences that are noticeable when facing someone of equal skill(who is wearing lesser gear). This ties into '1' as being new to 60, unless you plan appropriately you will more than likely be lacking in the gear department (keep in mind that with gear also comes runes, which again will make or break any advantage against an equally skilled opponet). Always remember that gear will not ever truly make or break you in the pvp environment. I have seen people in the most basic pvp gear devestate others because they were knowledgeable of their class and its operations. 3) Playstyle. playstyle. playstyle. If you want to be an assassin, don't expect to jump out in a zerg and kill anything but a rabbit, snake, or already dead focus fired target. The class itself will not work in those environments (although you can provide support towards your team by jumping out in zerg on occasion but it genearlyy requires coordination with another, a dedicated healer, or very stupid people [unless again you are just bored and want to provide a momentary distraction to the opposing team/healers and who knows, maybe your target will freak out, blow their cooldowns on you and be incapable of helping their team allowing your zerg to gain an advantage, superduper situational]). Assassins tend to prevail in domination type matches, where they can sneak in, cap a base and either stealth to defend it or again sneak off to cap another enemy base. This leads to many 1v1 or 1v2 (and sometimes v3) matches. 1v1 your chances of victory (supposing you are versed enough in your class) arent too shabby at all. 1v2, as long as you have some vital cooldowns and buffs (your slip away buff, blood thirsty, decently runed gear and ofc party buffs) your chances of victory aren't too stunted. v3, either you are a marvelous player, playing against robits, or recognize you will not survive and just delay them from the capping the point by being sneaky (using your 'sap' skills, stun skills, slip away, sap, stun etc, just a prolonged bout of crowd control with the hopes either an ally will arive to help you in battle or that once you are out off cd's and actually must fight you have delayed them for as long as possible). Dont ever feel you can't be a part of the 'zerg' in dom matches though. Sometimes an assass sneaking up to a healer during a codex assault will distract them enough to cause their teammates to not receive heals and succomb to death etcetc, and i think I already mentioned that and I believe I have drank too many adult beverages and I hope this at least somewhat helpfulish. One last note, the spec I most favor is 61 assassin/5 ranger (for the crit chance) and the rest into nightblade to get twilight force. TF is a very strong ranged attack which also slows your opponet down (making catchin up to them as they run or teleport away much easier while simultaneously building combo points). I put TF on my builder macro at the end, so that if I fall out melee range I will instantly begin using it until I regain melee distance; more than one person has died from twilight force spams as my dots ate away at them.

Shadowlander

^^ Are you SERIOUS right now?

holy wall of text batman

That wall of text > 3 Assassins

Rift Master

Stealth camp the flags. When someone attempts to capture, incapacitate and giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by moocowarrow View Post
    Assassin is imo extremely fun late game. Pre lvl 60 I cant say as I never touched it and always played marksman. Really, just focus on leveling right now. If you are really interested in pvp, start at level 50. Leveling from 50 to 60 will more than likely give you enough prestige xp (pvp rank experience) to bring your prestige rank to 50 (which if you plan to pvp is an optimal benchmark so that once you hit 60 you can immediately begin buying pvp gear). Always keep in mind that assassin is a class that is meant to be played a certain way, and utilizing in alternate ways that may be more acceptable for other melee pvp classes will only result in it failing with disgrace for you. Assassin can provide very large amounts of damage over a short period of time FOR a short period of time. Assuming you don't have a pockethealer, you will be squishy (easily killed after your 'burst' dps is finished.). You do have options to make yourself less squishy (some will put more points into the riftstalker soul granting them both an endurance buff and endurance per point spent in the soul, alongside some other damage mitigating abilities depending upon how far into the tree you decide to go) These will modifications will ALWAYS come at the cost of lower dps. The argument for doing so, which is also valid, is that even though you won't put out as much burst dps, your ability to survive is prolonged which will enable you to in the long run put out more dps as you cannot kill anything when you are dead. Your decision to spec into a build with more short term burst and less survivablity versus a spec with less burst dps and more survivability will probably come down to three or four factors. 1 - are you very new to the class? if so, having more survivability prolly will be better for you to kind of learn the assassin class mechanics without being mowed down very quickly by more experienced players. I would suggest this as you first turn 60 so that you can more easily acclimate to the pvp atmosphere (and it does change drastically at end game from previous). 2) Equipment - while this game offers a rather limited 'boost' in having better equipment, when you are fully decked out in end gear, there will absolutely be differences that are noticeable when facing someone of equal skill(who is wearing lesser gear). This ties into '1' as being new to 60, unless you plan appropriately you will more than likely be lacking in the gear department (keep in mind that with gear also comes runes, which again will make or break any advantage against an equally skilled opponet). Always remember that gear will not ever truly make or break you in the pvp environment. I have seen people in the most basic pvp gear devestate others because they were knowledgeable of their class and its operations. 3) Playstyle. playstyle. playstyle. If you want to be an assassin, don't expect to jump out in a zerg and kill anything but a rabbit, snake, or already dead focus fired target. The class itself will not work in those environments (although you can provide support towards your team by jumping out in zerg on occasion but it genearlyy requires coordination with another, a dedicated healer, or very stupid people [unless again you are just bored and want to provide a momentary distraction to the opposing team/healers and who knows, maybe your target will freak out, blow their cooldowns on you and be incapable of helping their team allowing your zerg to gain an advantage, superduper situational]). Assassins tend to prevail in domination type matches, where they can sneak in, cap a base and either stealth to defend it or again sneak off to cap another enemy base. This leads to many 1v1 or 1v2 (and sometimes v3) matches. 1v1 your chances of victory (supposing you are versed enough in your class) arent too shabby at all. 1v2, as long as you have some vital cooldowns and buffs (your slip away buff, blood thirsty, decently runed gear and ofc party buffs) your chances of victory aren't too stunted. v3, either you are a marvelous player, playing against robits, or recognize you will not survive and just delay them from the capping the point by being sneaky (using your 'sap' skills, stun skills, slip away, sap, stun etc, just a prolonged bout of crowd control with the hopes either an ally will arive to help you in battle or that once you are out off cd's and actually must fight you have delayed them for as long as possible). Dont ever feel you can't be a part of the 'zerg' in dom matches though. Sometimes an assass sneaking up to a healer during a codex assault will distract them enough to cause their teammates to not receive heals and succomb to death etcetc, and i think I already mentioned that and I believe I have drank too many adult beverages and I hope this at least somewhat helpfulish. One last note, the spec I most favor is 61 assassin/5 ranger (for the crit chance) and the rest into nightblade to get twilight force. TF is a very strong ranged attack which also slows your opponet down (making catchin up to them as they run or teleport away much easier while simultaneously building combo points). I put TF on my builder macro at the end, so that if I fall out melee range I will instantly begin using it until I regain melee distance; more than one person has died from twilight force spams as my dots ate away at them.
    I quoted the text in its entirety not because I agree with it (heck, i haven't even read it) but because I feel it is necessary to remind people of its existence, again ;3
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    I quoted the text in its entirety not because I agree with it (heck, i haven't even read it) but because I feel it is necessary to remind people of its existence, again ;3
    if I could hit a like button on here, I so would have!

http://www.bikecad.ca/faqFiles/enter_key.jpg

Rift Chaser

Wall of text crits you for 999999999999999
    You have died.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    Sin is weak until later on, and then it's sit around until your cooldowns come back up, kill one person, and then tell everyone they suck and you're awesome until your cooldowns come back up.

Also I suggest opening up with Jagged Strike as soon as you get it and use Assassinate until then.
    Heyas I wanna do the same question, I'm playing as an riftstalker/assassin/MM but i'm focused on the assassin tree, I'm level 23 atm and i got all the gear plus i can to get as much endurance and dexterity as i can. Well if I compare with my pyro when he was 23, fighting against plate users, chain, and whatever his damage was miles higher than my rogue atm. I don't think i'm a complete noob playing, i know the DoTs, openers and all. So, is the assassin rogue only viable on later levels (if yes starting from what level?), or I'm not doing my best?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostalker View Post
    Heyas I wanna do the same question, I'm playing as an riftstalker/assassin/MM but i'm focused on the assassin tree, I'm level 23 atm and i got all the gear plus i can to get as much endurance and dexterity as i can. Well if I compare with my pyro when he was 23, fighting against plate users, chain, and whatever his damage was miles higher than my rogue atm. I don't think i'm a complete noob playing, i know the DoTs, openers and all. So, is the assassin rogue only viable on later levels (if yes starting from what level?), or I'm not doing my best?
    It's been a loooooooooong time since I leveled a Rogue (as in 1.0) so I'm not sure what level exactly. I would imagine the 40s somewhere is where it starts to pick up just as a shot from the hip.

You have been hit with Wall of Text for 9 Trillion Damage
    Last edited by Xillean; 10-16-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

Assassin is more about precision and situational awareness. Once you get good at those, then the assassin comes into his own (provided you already know all the different soul mechanics, and what everyone else's builds are).

Best bet is to keep stealthed, and just watch the ebb and flow of the battle, then locate a target of opportunity, and strike hard and fast, then run off. With enough practice, you'll be able to "sense" how the fights will go, and who you need to target first in order for you to be productive to your team.

edit: oh yea, you want assassin / nb / <anything, RS/BD, I went BD due to the evasion buff, but might change it> if you want to be a pure assassin type. People like going MM since it gives range, but the NB line is better suited since it has the ability to have a ranged snare.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#ykFlliGAGl4/wmBa/t
    Last edited by Anasatsudo; 10-16-2013 at 02:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast