+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MM and Ranger. Need some comparison.

Default MM and Ranger. Need some comparison.

So I read mm and ranger guides and people saying that there is 2k+ dps difference between specs. I believe this is under raid buffs and with good gear. But i'm kinda new so mostly doing experts right now etc etc and no raid buffs for me So...
    1. Now i wondering about how much difference it should be on dummies with self buffs? And with what gear (i.e. "with expert gear it should be 200 dps and in raid gear it should be 500 dps") ?
    2. I just tried out ranger rotation and yea i kinda fail with it sometimes, but the difference was about 100-200 dps. Then i wonder if i should practise my ranger more and then i will get more dps in comparison if all done properly?
    3. And does ranger fall off when DPSing on fights with a lot of movement and target switching? And if so - MM is better for experts (due to mostly a lot of target switching and kinda short fights overall)?
    4. Last question about 2.4 patch - will it change something in current situation? I heard that there will be some changes to MM's synergy crystal?

1) i wouldnt consider a dummy comparison good in the case of mm vs ranger because mm has a way of regaining its energy while ranger gets super starved after a certain amount of time

2) practice it sure if you like the playstyle. if you really want, you can get karuulalert to help you

3) MM can target switch better than ranger can, but the difference isn't that extreme. neither them is punished for moving or target switching. however, ranger is punished if his pet dies

4) dunno. they increased the damage but doesn't proc off procs

overall, i would not recommend using ranger at all in dungeons because of its energy problems
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 09-18-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Shadowlander

Default a few pointers for Ranger perspective

there is more to it than just DPS if you want to compare the two. MM has a purge and easily available interrupt(Ranger has an AOE interrupt, but it's very costly and messes rotations badly, you should avoid interrupt duties as Ranger). Also Ranger pets are sometimes good and sometimes bad, for example when having to LOS the boss the pet can still attack him no problem, but on the other hand when the boss teleports around like crazy or there are wipe mechanics that will kill your pet(in experts for example there is that flooding mechanic where you have to climb a elevated platform or else you die, the platform where the boss stands is also flooded so if you don't recall your pet .. dead pet) you will lose allot of dps.

Ranger AOE isn't stellar but you can't just spam rain of arrows(your pet won't attack and he has AOE of it's own) and Trick Shot Concussive Blast is very energy starving, not to mention Concussive Blast isn't spamable.

Anyway to address your questions:
    1)I don't think anyone can really give you a definite answer here because it depends on soo many things. Ranger should be slightly ahead probably but not by much and it shouldn't actually matter. You should be picking the one that you are actually more comfortable playing.
    2)while the Ranger rotation looks simple it does make a big difference when you do it right and well .. not so right. There are 2 major things that will affect your dps: one is screwing up your CD's. the purpose of the "rotation" is to line up and manage to get 4 twin shots into your buffs duration every time your Animalism comes back up. Secondly(but a bit less important) is clipping or missing debufs: Splinter and Ace Shot.
    3) Ranger has absolutely 0 problems with moving because all shots are instant(I'd say it's the souls strongest asset). It does have 3 selfapplied debufs, one of them being a bleed so target switching does affect him a bit, but only where the target dies very fast. His self buffs are on a 30 secs CD so they are almost always up. One thing to note however, Ranger doesn't have Close Quarters Combat and there are times (not many, but there will be) where you will find yourself unable to shoot.
    4) there were almost no changes mentioned for Rogues, notable ones anyway so not much will change.

I'd say the DPS difference should not matter for experts, it's not that big, you should play what you are comfortable with. You should however learn to play both.

Quote Originally Posted by Napalmique View Post
    Ranger AOE isn't stellar but you can't just spam rain of arrows(your pet won't attack and he has AOE of it's own) and Trick Shot Concussive Blast is very energy starving, not to mention Concussive Blast isn't spamable.

3) Ranger has absolutely 0 problems with moving because all shots are instant(I'd say it's the souls strongest asset). It does have 3 selfapplied debufs, one of them being a bleed so target switching does affect him a bit, but only where the target dies very fast. His self buffs are on a 30 secs CD so they are almost always up. One thing to note however, Ranger doesn't have Close Quarters Combat and there are times (not many, but there will be) where you will find yourself unable to shoot.
    I must admit although im only level 58 so not on the bigger dungeons/raids etc that Rain of Arrows is quite good AoE if the tank grabs everything and holds it close (3rd or 4th round of Golem Foundary dungeon is perfect for this) and I use Rain of Arrows as my AoE spell constantly. I rarely use Concussive Blast but It does come in handy as the interupt incase someone else isnt watching lol

Point 3 you made is definately a pain in regards the Close Quarters, I've come close a few times where the distance is too close and my char whips out his melee, definately I'd say Rangers biggest let down in a way, but then as Ranger, you shouldnt be allowing anything to get THAT close, Razorbeast should be holding it up as tank or in dungeons, boss should never be that close as ST's.

I would recommend Marksman over Ranger for expert dungeons, because it's not energy starved, and it fares better on any fight with target switching or circle-based damage buffs (since the Ranger pet generally won't be able to stand in the circle and therefore won't get the benefit AFAIK).
    Last edited by Muspel; 09-19-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Plane Walker

3 min parse on expert boss dummy with expert level gear, self-buffed + Honed Edge:
    Marksman - 10k
    Ranger - 11.5k

Thank you guys for your answers :3 I believe that i'll try ranger if/when i decide to do some raiding with my rogue, until then it's gonna be MM :3

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I would recommend Marksman over Ranger for expert dungeons, because it's not energy starved, and it fares better on any fight with target switching or circle-based damage buffs (since the Ranger pet generally won't be able to stand in the circle and therefore won't get the benefit AFAIK).
    Well I run a Marksman build as well, but tbh, most times I've found as long as Tank can aggro enough and hold them, Rain of Arrows easily does the damage as my AoE, target switching or if tank moves about too much, I do lose that effectiveness.

+ Reply to Thread