Closed Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gery

Thread: Best Tact Solo Spec?

Plane Walker

Default Best Tact Solo Spec?

I'm trying to find the optimal soloing spec for tactician, with a high survivability and decent damage, mostly for rifts, invasions, low level content etc. I cannot afford to go full damage even after having 58 tact since huge masses of elite invasion mobs in dendrome/ashora are still way too painful and healers in zone events are also unreliable. Given that my base build is 58 tact 8 rs, where should the rest of the 10 points go?

I'm deciding between 3 specs currently:

58 tact 18 rs 0 mm: Highest HP/def/resist, and with restorative bolt, it's easy to preload 5 stacks of planar boost. However, extra combo points generated by expanded torrents do not count as a fifth point, so the stacks will eventually drop off unless you use another bolt after getting 5 points. I also prefer this because I don't have to cast fanfare of vigor...

58 tact 13 rs 5 bard: Bard for some extra healing from gift and more passive damage, while keeping most of the rs benefits.

58 tact 8 rs 10 bard: Significantly more healing, but loses a lot of EHP. Street performer might be useful as it's not uncommon for me to find myself in a <30% HP state, when I pull too many mobs and struggle to survive.

Besides those 3, there's also another 2 specs that I'm unsure about:

58 tact 8 rs 10 mm: I believe it's a more popular spec due to its (minimal) similarity to tactman, but I'm not sure if the survivability it gives up is worth it.

58 tact 13 rs 5 nb: I thought of this while looking at the 10 mm spec. It seems that it gives about the same damage as 10 mm but has better survivability. Although perhaps I'm understanding the additive and multiplicative buffs wrongly. I assume that the 10% AP from 5 nb is just as good as the 10% AP from increased fire power.

Thanks for reading, any comments are welcome.

Well... I know it's not really the question that you're asking, but you should probably know that Tactician is a very poor choice for farming elite mobs, as torrents cannot proc Vampiric Essence. The bulk of your healing therefore comes from Curative Engine, which doesn't scale up as enemies hit harder.

And for elite invasions, it's even worse off, because Torrents don't get the damage boost from Fury of the Ascended, which would triple your damage output vs. planar creatures.

Anyways, if you're dead-set on it, the standard Tactician soloing build is 61Tact/8RS/7Bard.
    Last edited by Muspel; 09-14-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    And for elite invasions, it's even worse off, because Torrents don't get the damage boost from Fury of the Ascended, which would triple your damage output vs. planar creatures.
    Woah, I've never known that! I guess I'll be using sab a lot more for invasions. As for weapon enchants, I've always been using honed edge since I heard that the healing from vamp, while useful, is not that significant. I know the melee solo builds are most likely better, but I prefer ranged, and between the ranged DPS classes, tact seems the most solo capable as heals are more reliable than proc. I usually drop both beams and run while healing with bolt and curative blast. That's sucky for DPS I know, but usually the number of mobs I can pull offset that.

I know about the 61 tact spec, but frankly are the 3 points in tact worth it if I mainly solo? The 61 root is completely useless for soloing, and barely useful for easy content pugs.

RIFT Guide Writer

There's no point in going 61 into tact, like you said the last 3 points give nothing. Vampiric Essence is also unnecessary since you can just heal yourself with restorative bolt if necessary.

Spec depends on gear, take the highest dps spec which still keeps you alive. Sacrificing dps for overhealing serves no purpose. Once you have enough gear you won't even need restorative bolt anymore. Then you can just go 40 tact, 28 mm, 8 rs and rely more on boosted recovery and kill faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyd View Post
    I know about the 61 tact spec, but frankly are the 3 points in tact worth it if I mainly solo? The 61 root is completely useless for soloing, and barely useful for easy content pugs.
    The issue with using 61 Tact to solo elites tends to be the lack of significant self-healing options (unless you're using Restorative Bolt, which hurts your DPS a fair amount).

Tactician has a higher %healing gift than any other rogue soul. The 61tact/8RS/7Bard build is designed to maximize self-healing. You can certainly take points out of Tact if you feel that you don't need the extra survivability, but based on your first post, that doesn't seem to be the case.

RIFT Guide Writer

The issue with using 61 Tact to solo elites tends to be the lack of significant self-healing options (unless you're using Restorative Bolt, which hurts your DPS a fair amount).

Tactician has a higher %healing gift than any other rogue soul. The 61tact/8RS/7Bard build is designed to maximize self-healing. You can certainly take points out of Tact if you feel that you don't need the extra survivability, but based on your first post, that doesn't seem to be the case.
    61 tact/7 bard gets 3*0.25%=0.75% higher passive healing bonus than 58 tact/10 bard. That means going from 173.5% to 174.25%, or in other words it improves your healing by 174.25/173.5-100%=0.43%.

3 more levels in bard on the other hand gives 1.5% more endurance, motif of regeneration and 3 points to put in Anthem of Glory/Stage Presence/Street Performer, all of which are better than that 0.43% healing. 58 tact/10 bard is the more survivable spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    61 tact/7 bard gets 3*0.25%=0.75% higher passive healing bonus than 58 tact/10 bard. That means going from 173.5% to 174.25%, or in other words it improves your healing by 174.25/173.5-100%=0.43%.

3 more levels in bard on the other hand gives 1.5% more endurance, motif of regeneration and 3 points to put in Anthem of Glory/Stage Presence/Street Performer, all of which are better than that 0.43% healing. 58 tact/10 bard is the more survivable spec.
    Endurance doesn't matter, maintaining Motif of Regeneration is a more significant DPS loss, and 61Tact/7Bard already has Stage Presence. Anthem of Glory is potentially worthwhile, I'll grant you that, but that's an argument for using 60tact, not 58tact.
    Last edited by Muspel; 09-14-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Endurance doesn't matter, maintaining Motif of Regeneration is a more significant DPS loss, and 61Tact/7Bard already has Stage Presence. Anthem of Glory is potentially worthwhile, I'll grant you that, but that's an argument for using 60tact, not 58tact.

Wish someone had a great BD spec for soloing.
    Pika

Shadowlander

8 RS, 10 Bard, 58 Tact.

Restorative Engine and Enhanced Necrotic Torrent do nothing when soloing.
    having Motif off Regneration is nice, you can preload it be4 big pulls, in addition to its own HoT, it increases all healing on you by another 5% and this is very constant proccing heal spec so it definitely adds up.

No idea what Muspel is on when he says "lack of significant self-healing options". This Spec is rife with them. The new Rotation means you Prime only once every 60 seconds, that leaves easily 3 chances to use Curative blast as your finisher, (really not needed though -Necrotic Ray gets a lot of use) and, with the MotiffofReg on, Curative Core Dropped, and Restorative bolt as your point builder, that's a tonne continuous healing that leaves you incredibly survivable, and sides heals anyone in your public group .

Motiff of Regeneration might be a DPS loss, but it helps healing, and there's many opportunities in an invasion or GH etc, that you have gaps to press a button and have it going off in the background for 20 seconds. Or if you've shadow shifted forward 20 meters, you can prime MoR while you wheel round to target the enemies again (I often use it as as end cast button, to stop torrents). Plus Street performer is niiice as tactician, little bit of extra speed to run away, or kite with ( the specs power encourages living dangerously) is a great addition to that increased healing right when you need it most sub 30%.

I'm sure Muspel knows what spec gives the best dps solo spec, but in actual event/solo play, battle is actually quite bitty and stop start, with unexpected Damage spikes and lulls.
    I find the security of healing and movement much, much more useful and reassuring than the marginal dps increase.
    Last edited by Merillion; 09-17-2013 at 03:27 AM.

Shadowlander

8 RS, 10 Bard, 58 Tact.

Restorative Engine and Enhanced Necrotic Torrent do nothing when soloing.
    having Motif off Regneration is nice, you can preload it be4 big pulls, in addition to its own HoT, it increases all healing on you by another 5% and this is very constant proccing heal spec so it definitely adds up.

No idea what Muspel is on when he says "lack of significant self-healing options". This Spec is rife with them. The new Rotation means you Prime only once every 60 seconds, that leaves easily 3 chances to use Curative blast as your finisher, (really not needed though -Necrotic Ray gets a lot of use) and, with the MotiffofReg on, Curative Core Dropped, RS's Bosoted recovery from kills, and Restorative bolt as your point builder, that's a tonne continuous healing (that can easily max your health from <30% during Barrier remote - for which Endurance does matter a bit) that leaves you incredibly survivable, and sides heals anyone in your public group .

Motiff of Regeneration might be a DPS loss, but it helps healing, and there's many opportunities in an invasion or GH etc, that you have gaps to press a button and have it going off in the background for 20 seconds. Or if you've shadow shifted forward 20 meters, you can prime MoR while you wheel round to target the enemies again (I often use it as as end cast button, to stop torrents). Plus Street performer is niiice as tactician, little bit of extra speed to run away, or kite with ( the specs power encourages living dangerously ) is a great addition to that increased healing right when you need it most:sub 30%.

I'm sure Muspel knows what spec gives the best dps solo spec, but in actual event/solo play, battle is actually quite bitty and stop start, with unexpected Damage spikes and lulls.
    I find the security of healing and movement much, much more useful and reassuring than the marginal dps increase.
    Last edited by Merillion; 09-17-2013 at 03:34 AM.

Shadowlander

This is my solo tactman build. Definitely not meant for a fresh 60. Mutant Hearts, Hive group daily (Big Bad Bugs), and chronicle is easily soloable with this spec.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...T8FkyGAalg/t8g

#show Glacial Torrent
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Curative Engine
    cast Glacial Torrent

#show Infernal Torrent
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Curative Engine
    cast Infernal Torrent

#show Necrotic Ray
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Necrotic Engine
    cast Necrotic Ray

#show Empyrean Bolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast Empyrean Bolt

#show Empyrean Ray
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Empyrean Ray

#show Curative Core
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Curative Core
    cast Necrotic Core

#show Battle Remote
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Battle Remote
    cast Power Core

#show Infernal Beam
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast Infernal Beam
    cast Necrotic Bolt

40 Tact 28mm 8RS is the superior soling spec if you're set on using a Tactician build for soloing. I prefer Bladedancer for soling but I used the Tactman variant for a while.
    Bard@Greybriar

T1: Conq, T2: Conq, T3 (Bindings of Blood): 7/8
    I kill, I maim, I fornicate, but as far as my flock is concerned my only vice is a little tipple before Evensong - The baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Merillion View Post
    No idea what Muspel is on when he says "lack of significant self-healing options". This Spec is rife with them. The new Rotation means you Prime only once every 60 seconds, that leaves easily 3 chances to use Curative blast as your finisher, (really not needed though -Necrotic Ray gets a lot of use) and, with the MotiffofReg on, Curative Core Dropped, RS's Bosoted recovery from kills, and Restorative bolt as your point builder, that's a tonne continuous healing (that can easily max your health from <30% during Barrier remote - for which Endurance does matter a bit) that leaves you incredibly survivable, and sides heals anyone in your public group .
    Curative Blast costs you a fair chunk of DPS, and is also very weak. Curative Core's healing is a joke, and Restorative Bolt also costs you DPS.

Compare that to Bladedancer, that gets all of the healing it needs from just Vampiric Essence and Curative Engine. Sure, you can throw in a Meditative Trance in an emergency, but that's pretty much never necessary.

Motiff of Regeneration might be a DPS loss, but it helps healing, and there's many opportunities in an invasion or GH etc, that you have gaps to press a button and have it going off in the background for 20 seconds. Or if you've shadow shifted forward 20 meters, you can prime MoR while you wheel round to target the enemies again (I often use it as as end cast button, to stop torrents). Plus Street performer is niiice as tactician, little bit of extra speed to run away, or kite with ( the specs power encourages living dangerously ) is a great addition to that increased healing right when you need it most:sub 30%.
    Tactician needs to waste GCDs on healing abilities to stay alive. Other specs don't.

The only time that Tactician surpasses other solo specs is when you're dealing with a lot of mobs that don't move (like archers and casters), and you can't LoS to stack them up for AoE. This happens... well, pretty much never.

Shadowlander

Oh I won't argue that, but this was a topic on best Tactician Solo Spec, not rogue

That 24 point MM one looks more powerful, but since the patch I can't play Tactician without Restorative Bolt, being able to Build CP's up at will is such a nice easy quality of life improvement; Tact is such a carefree lazy spec to play, perfect for solo play imho :P
    Last edited by Merillion; 09-18-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Oh I won't argue that, but this was a topic on best Tactician Solo Spec, not rogue
    And if you go back and read my first post (and the OP's response), you'll notice that I pointed out some things he hadn't realized that made Tactician less effective than he thought it would be.

Closed Thread