+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tact/ranger?

Soulwalker

Default tact/ranger?

I just started playing as a tact/MM and was wondering about how well a tact/ranger would work out? All the guides I have read do not mention tact/ranger.
    I was thinking that since you get a tank pet as ranger, it may be more helpful??

I dunno, just wondering what others think or have tried that work for them. I am still new to the rogue class, and usually play a DPS/tank warrior so I kinda suck at it atm.

Razorbeast is made out of cardboard, unfortunately.

Tact by itself is moderately terrible at single-target DPS, and Razorbeast can't really handle multiple enemies unless you are significantly overgeared (and/or babysitting him with heals and thus losing a ton of your DPS). Moreover, Ranger doesn't really provide Tact with useful, synergistic DPS boosts like MM does, so you don't really gain much outside of the pet, either.

Long story short, I don't see the combination being especially worthwhile.

The reason you use Marksman with Tactician is because the skills synergise very well. Most of the Marksman talents boost Tactician damage.

Contrary to that, Ranger has little synergy and while the prospect of a tank pet might be tempting, the reality is quite different. For leveling and soloing add a smattering of Rifstalker (8 points) to make your life easier.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zazen View Post
    The reason you use Marksman with Tactician is because the skills synergise very well. Most of the Marksman talents boost Tactician damage.

Contrary to that, Ranger has little synergy and while the prospect of a tank pet might be tempting, the reality is quite different. For leveling and soloing add a smattering of Rifstalker (8 points) to make your life easier.
    So you seem to know what you're doing. Could you provide me with a quick little guide for rogue leveling? Just maybe a good tactician build and basic rotation or anything else you want to add?

Quote Originally Posted by rawesomericky View Post
    Could you provide me with a quick little guide for rogue leveling?
    4 points in Tactician, 8 points in Riftstalker. Then put the rest of your points into Nightblade, Bladedancer, or Tactician. If you find that you're too squishy, you can put extra points into Riftstalker until you're comfortable with your survivability.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    4 points in Tactician, 8 points in Riftstalker. Then put the rest of your points into Nightblade, Bladedancer, or Tactician. If you find that you're too squishy, you can put extra points into Riftstalker until you're comfortable with your survivability.
    Oh so I shouldn't put my extra points into bard? It seemed like those buffs would really help.

Oh so I shouldn't put my extra points into bard? It seemed like those buffs would really help.
    Bard is not worth it.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Bard is not worth it.
    What about as a support class for dungeons? Or should I just stick to dps and let another class support?

Or should I just stick to dps and let another class support?
    Pretty much. A Bard generally isn't desirable for 5-mans, since you are highly unlikely to make up for your lost personal DPS with your buffs. If you end up in a situation where the party actually needs a Bard for healing, the dungeon run is going to be an exercise in frustration regardless of what you do.

That doesn't mean you can't queue as support, though. I think most people just kind of assume that the "Support" slot is just another DPS, though you might want to keep a Bard build around in case someone gets too whiny about it. Bard is useful for Zone Events even if you don't do structured Raids, so it's nice to have it around anyways.

+ Reply to Thread