+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help with Ranger

Rift Disciple

Default Help with Ranger

I've been searching the guide forum, and cannot find a Ranger guide. From my read of forum posts, it appears that 61 RNG should be better than 61 MM, but when I parse it, I actually get 10% less DPS from the RNG spec. So it is either I am doing something wrong, or am misinformed about RNG.

Can someone please point to me a credible RNG guide? Thanks in advance.

Rift Disciple

Default Edit:

After posting this, I found Legit's guide, which I will try this evening to see if I get the anticipated DPS boost over MM. To that end, I still have a question:

Legit suggests using 12 Sin + 3 NB. Is that better than putting 5 points in MM to get empowered shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Harrodon View Post
    After posting this, I found Legit's guide, which I will try this evening to see if I get the anticipated DPS boost over MM. To that end, I still have a question:

Legit suggests using 12 Sin + 3 NB. Is that better than putting 5 points in MM to get empowered shot?
    You never ever want to use ES with ranger..
    Quite@Typhiria
    -GreatWhiteNinja- he was right after all -
    61 Dominator Guide
    Nightmare rifts - An indepth guide to reach stage 300

If you're going with their suggested point spread, I'd put the 3 in NB into RS instead =P

-1.5% gift dmg bonus for a teleport, worth it in my book any day of the week.
    Last edited by MoonfireSpam; 09-09-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    If you're going with their suggested point spread, I'd put the 3 in NB into RS instead =P

-1.5% gift dmg bonus for a teleport, worth it in my book any day of the week.
    Yea, because we do so much teleporting as Ranger...especially someone at the level of asking about a guide. WTF. Maybe I just got trolled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistica View Post
    Yea, because we do so much teleporting as Ranger...especially someone at the level of asking about a guide. WTF. Maybe I just got trolled.
    He's speaking as someone who's at the leading edge of progression on new content, so I would acknowledge his opinion even if you disagree.

That being said, the reason you take RS is for the increased health and teleport which is very useful for getting you out of or into places quickly. Both of which are very good for progression.

2.4 is around the corner. Goodbye dps runes hello +55 endurance runes + RS in most builds.
    Last edited by Zazen; 09-10-2013 at 04:54 PM.

I'm of the opinion that if you have a 0 point soul, it should always be RS. If you spend 1-5 points in NB, you should spend it in RS instead. (61 'sin would be the exception, but that's only because they actually use a NB ability)

No other class gains so much HP/utility for such a tiny dps sacrifice.

You will not even notice the -2.5% gift dmg bonus you lose from taking points in RS vs NB. In a parse, it usually comes out to significantly less than 1% of your actual dps.

Now when you die in progression because you got overkilled by 1-2k? You'll notice that. Got killed by a laser you coulda ported across? You'll notice that. Got hit by an aoe that spawned on top of you but you couldn't move out of fast enough (but coulda ported out!)... you'll notice that.

You aren't going to make or break a fight with the ~100 dps difference you're talking about taking NB over RS. But you just might be the reason the boss didn't die, because you died to something you could've lived through had you taken RS as a sub soul instead of NB.

I would agree since we tend to take large bursts of damage on the fights we run Ranger on, however Planebound Resilience isn't received until 4RS. So it wouldn't be as much of a benefit to take, and Shadow Shift would be used for Ranger on those encounters maybe... twice ever.
    Kukri @Deepwood
    <-VIRUS->

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    I wish there was a way to record combat logs.
    Why can't sab have GTAE for its traps? This cast time is really lame, its 2014, make it so.

I guess it could come in handy for Ultane if your Green-Link buddy is on the other side of the room.
    And I've died once to the Salv laser that probably could've been avoided with it.
    Kukri @Deepwood
    <-VIRUS->

Why can't sab have GTAE for its traps? This cast time is really lame, its 2014, make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudily View Post
    I would agree since we tend to take large bursts of damage on the fights we run Ranger on, however Planebound Resilience isn't received until 4RS. So it wouldn't be as much of a benefit to take, and Shadow Shift would be used for Ranger on those encounters maybe... twice ever.
    You'd lose out on the 1740 hp from planebound + that extra point's worth of rs gift bonus, but you'd still get some hp/armor/resist out of it just by having 3 points in RS.

Besides, its more about always having the teleport available (and bound to the same key in every spec) so that when you DO need to use it to quickly escape death, you have it right at your fingertips.

And you won't need to wonder where you bound that shadow shift.
    Last edited by MoonfireSpam; 09-11-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Yep, I have it bound to 'Q' in every other build. I actually thought about that as I was posting, I don't have any other easy keybinds left to remap Quick Shot!
    Kukri @Deepwood
    <-VIRUS->

Shadowlander

Gery's Ranger guide in case you haven't seen the link a few posts above me.

but to answer your question: you kind of need the 12 Sin points because it unlocks the second *weapon enchant* Leeching Poison and Sin is the only one that provides 2 weapon enchants so early. and that is allot of damage you'd be missing out on if you would not have it.
    by contrast for example full MM only needs the 10 in Sin(5 Magnified Pain) due to the fact that it has it's own weapon enchants.
    (as a side note, Magnified Pain is a much higher DPS increase than one would expect due to the fact that it's in another category and it's multiplicative, making it one of the best passives to put points into for a subsoul)
    Empowered shot only needs 4 points also, but it's still one short. You won't have talents that buff it from MM and you'd have to deal with it's 1.5 s cast time (none of the 61 ranger shots have cast time, which btw is one of the greatest things about this spec, being able to deal the same DPS on the run). Also Ranger has 1 second gcd, so besides the damage issue that half a second would mess with the rotation. The extra combo point it provides is on a 10 sec cd so there's no way it would allow for more than the 4 Twin Shots that you already can barely squeeze inside your 15 second CD's. In other words it's a hassle that's totally not worth it.

so that only leaves you with 3 points to spend into. Moonfire made an excellent suggestion putting those 3 into RS instead of NB, because well Blazing Fury and Unseen fury are basically the same thing, so the only thing different is what the souls give. You'd be losing only 1.5% additive damage (additive being key word here so it's way less of a dps loss than it looks like) while gaining a blink, some hp resists and armor. On the other hand if you are not worried about dying and every bit of dps counts NB is the better option, nobody will judge.

Rift Disciple

I actually prefer MM as a zero point. On the double has a shorter CD and you get more control with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inshalla View Post
    I actually prefer MM as a zero point. On the double has a shorter CD and you get more control with it.
    There's a fundamental difference between a speed boost and an instantaneous teleport.

Control is just something you get used to. Its always 15 meters towards where your character is facing. Using it more often will give you a better feel of where you're going to port to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast