+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Basic rogue question regarding raiding

Plane Touched

Default Basic rogue question regarding raiding

Hello fellow Rogues.

I am in need of your shadowy assistance with my baby level 60 rogue. I am wanting to raid eventually (no major rush for it right now with work commitments so gearing can be done slow and steady same with learning specs). Now with wanting to raid I have been talking to guildies and some random people in 60's chat, even though I needed brain bleach after, about which specs are the better options and such.

Most of the time I got told the 61 pt MM spec, so I tried it out and whilst the numbers where decent in my hodge podge of green/blue/purple gear, the rotation was so mind numbingly boring I just had to stop.

I also tried out a few different ranger builds and also got bored of them or simply didn't enjoy them (I found the pets to be brain dead morons, also never have had much patience with AI pets in any MMO due to shoddy AI and such).

Now my main thing I did indeed enjoy whilst leveling was melee. Get right up in their face and stab/slash r bludgeon them to death. I found the animations and rotations both more fluid and satisfying.

When I say I want to go melee as my raiding spec, either assasin, BD or NB I get laughed at and told 'don't bother man, SL is horrible for melee, just go ranged and suck it up buttercup' or words to that effect.

Now I know people here know their stuff and most oft he well known rogues have been raiding for a long time in the SL raids, so my main question is this:

Are melee rogues actually viable and can justify their raid spot over and equally geared and skilled ranger/MM rogue? Would I be a liability being melee, even if I knew the mechanics and was good with maintaining time on boss when disconnects occur?

Any help with this would be appreciated as I much prefer my rogue over my other 60 (a mage, mainly Harb so no big surprise there) and don't want to be constantly passed up for other players when it comes to picking people to sit out when raid times ticks over.

Thank you very much in advance.

Telaran

As a raid rogue, you're probably going to have to carry 61MM; especially when you're still lower geared, it's easier to learn fights and be a useful interrupt/purge bot to pull your weight.

That said, you can play a melee spec and be highly effective on the vast majority of current raid content. Personally, the only T1 fights I don't ever melee on are Jultharin in TDQ (where you can go NB if you want) and Matriarch in EE (because I'm AOEing).

As for GA, I bard for Kaliban and purge for Kyzan, but I still play assassin for Salvarola.

Plane Touched

OK so there is hope, that's good to hear. Also your point about MM whilst learning is a very good one that honestly didn't occur to me, as ashamed as I am to admit it.

I'm also toying with the idea of being able to tank too eventually (it's melee too right?) both to speed up expert queue times and to be able to pretend to tank zone event things (most tanks I see that go toe to toe with them get destroyed regardless due to no healer usually, aside from weeklies).

I've not looked into bard at all, so may look into that too. Not heard anything bad about it and that it's a great 'buff bot' whilst able to still do respectable personal DPS (even more when you take into account the party/raid bonus DPS granted).

Just to help you I will break down the builds I play on the current content:

Frozen Tempest
    Gelidra: NB/Sin (because I'm the one providing Lethal Poison)
    Gangnum: 61 Assassin
    Xaviel: NB/Sin
    Twins: Saboteur because we 2-tank it (as almost everyone does these days)
    Crucia: NB/Sin

Endless Eclipse
    Progenitor: NB/Sin
    Kain: NB/Sin
    Matriarch: Tactman
    Goloch: 61 Assassin
    Regulos: NB/Sin

Grim Awakening
    Kaliban: Ranger
    Kaizan: NB/Sin
    Salvarola: Ranger
    Ultane: Super Secret Ultane Only Spec ™

Triumph of the Dragon Queen
    Zoles: 61 Assassin
    Cyril: 61 Assassin
    Jultharen: NB/Sin
    Typhiria: Ranger or NB/Sin

That makes 4 or 5 fights in the current tier 1 and tier 2 that are ranged with all others melee.

The reason I play NB/Sin over 61 NB is for Lethal Poison. If another player in the raid is providing the same debuff I will play 61NB.

Some fights are more challenging as melee, for example, Kaizan, requires you to joust or reposition for certain mechanics and it's a highly dynamic fight. For me this makes it the most entertaining melee fight in the game at the moment.
    Last edited by Zazen; 09-09-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Telaran

Is nb that far behind sin on goloch?

Quote Originally Posted by Zadaine07 View Post
    Is nb that far behind sin on goloch?
    I actually parse better on Goloch in 61 NB than 61 assassin. But it's not just about me, the raid overall does higher dps if someone is providing the increased crit debuff.

+ Reply to Thread