+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roles for my wife

Rift Chaser

Default Roles for my wife

So I've played a mage since beta, and dabbled in a warrior. A personal friend had a rogue, and they seemed to be fairly easy to play. Which is why I created one for my wife, once I convinced her to try Rift. She is actually having a lot of fun, to her chagrin. Now, we don't play a huge amount, maybe an hour or so a day during the week, and a few hours a day on the weekend. I created a new mage to level up with her, so we can enjoy stuff together.

What I'm curious to have recommended, are some roles to make for her. So far she has a MM for ranged/PvP. She does quite well, and loves PvP.

She has a Bladedancer for melee/solo, but doesn't use it much. The other day, I made her a tact/RS/MM for solo to try, so she has good self heals for when I'm at work.

So, should she continue to run dungeons and PvP with MM? Or does she need a Ranger build? How does Tactician do? Does she need to learn a different melee spec? She prefers an easy rotation, of course. But I'm pretty sure if I pushed her a bit, she could learn a 4 - 5 button rotation. Currently, we are level 41.

Thanks in advance for any help/recommendations.

Only the easy-mode saboteur is less than 4 button, everything else will require at least cooldowns as separate buttons.

If she is enjoying MM especially in PvP, she will do just fine at lvl60 as MM is not a weak spec for PvP. For PvE, every other DPS spec pulls better numbers.
    Last edited by Rounded; 09-05-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Ascendant

Marksman is sufficient for dungeons as it does a decent enough job of covering all the bases (okay-ish AoE and good-but-not-great ST while covering the party's purgeing and interrupting needs whilst being very, very easy to play).

Nightblade and Bladedancer will significantly outdo it when it comes to DPS numbers. If she has experience using Bladedancer in solo play it might be worth a try using that in dungeons as I've always found it to be the best all-round spec for 5-mans.

But if she wants to stick with Marksman that'll do fine.
    Last edited by Kedon; 09-05-2013 at 11:21 AM.

MM really is the go-to spec here. But I wouldn't discount 61 NB, particularly if you're considering melee specs in general. Not all that many buttons, and it both is pretty fun and does fairly well.
    Last edited by Sonic Rain Boom; 09-10-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Rift Disciple

MM or NB are probably the specs of choice depending on if you want a melee or ranged soul (get both just to be sure). NB will be better dps, but MM will be an easier spec.

If your wife needs something simplified then you can always play with some macros for her for a separate ST and AoE button for combo builders and finishers...so that narrows things to 4 buttons and frees up other buttons and her attention onto clicking cooldowns and such. For PvP, you may need to switch over some points into defensive talents but there's plenty of guides around for that.

because you aren't going to in any way hardcore so it kind of rules out top tier raiding, there is no need to pay attention to any posts discussing parses of top dps and such, pretty much any soul combo played well will be more than enough for levelling dungeons. I would recommend playing something that you ENJOY over something that is theoretically the top dps....for levelling content you don't need it and will be better at it anyway if you feel comfortable and having fun with what you are playing as.

Ascendant

Roles for your wife, huh? it depends on the kinds of things she is into. You need to spice up the relationship.

+ Reply to Thread