+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does the crit chance count on dots as well??

Telaran

Default Does the crit chance count on dots as well??

I have a question about my rogue.. I just put 2 points in "advance flanking" which basically gives you a 50% chance to crit from stealth.. Now the question I have is does that apply to a DOT based attack like jagged edge? Does it just crit for the first DOT damage or does it apply throughout the whole set of damages? For example, if i'm doing 4k dmg over 10 seconds and I crit with it, will it be a 7k-8k dot damage or does this even apply?

Thanks in advance!

Any of your DoT ticks can crit on most DoT's as far as I am aware. However the damage each crit does is based on the individual tick amount, not the overall damage of the spell.
    Last edited by soulseeker; 09-02-2013 at 11:18 AM.

This question came up wayyyyyyyyyy back when they changed how dots work and I'm trying to remember what the answer was. I think it might just be the first tick, but I'm not sure. I haven't played Sin since around 1.4
    Even free cost too much now

Telaran

Yea because I got it so I can open up with assassinate (Since I normally open with jagged because the DOT does great damage) but when someone has a lot of defense, sometimes assassinate does hit too hard. (Im still only 51 with not all my full pvp gear yet so that might be a big help as well) so if it makes the crit chance better with my jagged strike, i'll continue to use that.

Ascendant

You get the +50% crit for all ticks of Jagged Strike. You can see this on a parse against a dummy. My crit rate on Jagged Strike is typically 80-90% (at least in a raid setting).

Edited to be a little more specific.
    Last edited by Adastra; 09-02-2013 at 11:39 AM.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
    You get the +50% crit for all ticks of Jagged Strike. You can see this on a parse against a dummy. My crit rate on Jagged Strike is typically 80-90% (at least in a raid setting).
    So if I normally do 800 dmg every 2 seconds with jagged strike (4k damage in 10 seconds) and I crit the jagged strike, then every 800 dmg should crit?

Telaran

I just tried it on the dummy.. It looks like you're right where it crits the whole, or at the very LEAST crits at 50 percent. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zafan View Post
    So if I normally do 800 dmg every 2 seconds with jagged strike (4k damage in 10 seconds) and I crit the jagged strike, then every 800 dmg should crit?
    Each tick has an individual chance to crit. So the first two might crit, the third one might not, and then the rest might. Or maybe the first one won't, but the rest will. Et cetera.
    Last edited by Muspel; 09-02-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Each tick has an individual chance to crit. So the first two might crit, the third one might not, and then the rest might. Or maybe the first one won't, but the rest will. Et cetera.
    Basically what Muspel said, I suck at explaining stuff anyway. But yes, it's essentially +50% chance to crit on each tick is what I originally meant. >_>
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

I just tried it on the dummy.. It looks like you're right where it crits the whole, or at the very LEAST crits at 50 percent. Thanks!
    Base crit bonus damage is +50%, crit power can take this bonus to 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Yeah. I think at one point if the first tick crit all crit...same for channels. This was creating balance issues though with souls that were short on DoTs and channels though so they changed it so it was crit per tick vs crit per button push.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Rift Disciple

JS has a chance to crit per tick as Muspel said. It is your best opener 90% of the time IMO. With two points in subterfuge, you get 3 combo points guaranteed and a nice dmg boost.

You can usually get two more combo points quickly with a backstab/savage strike and get a 5cp Impale on them before they run/teleport and they are hurting at that point with two heavy bleeds.

I only open with assassinate if they are almost dead, and even then it sometimes does not kill them haha. It collects dust on my hotkey because it is so bland.

Ascendant

Now the question I have is does that apply to a DOT based attack like jagged edge?
    Yes.

Does it just crit for the first DOT damage or does it apply throughout the whole set of damages?
    It applies to them all.

For example, if i'm doing 4k dmg over 10 seconds and I crit with it, will it be a 7k-8k dot damage or does this even apply?
    Each tick is factored separately. So if you have advanced flanking (and you always should) then it will increase the crit chance of each tick individually. However, since it increases your crit chance by 50%, you will see that most ticks will crit.

+ Reply to Thread