+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there any point to being a melee rogue for PvE?

Shadowlander

Default Is there any point to being a melee rogue for PvE?

I have a level 57 melee specced rogue and lately I've been noticing that in a lot of dungeons there seems to be a good amount of reasons why it would be better to be ranged. Basically the bosses seem to have a lot of aoe against melee characters and I find myself running out of the aoe and standing there waiting for the aoe to end or for me to be healed so I can go back in again. I know that is only 1 example but still.. it just seems harder to be melee than ranged.

I'm sticking with melee for now because I like it for leveling, but at 60 is there any point to being a melee dps rogue over a ranged one?

RIFT Guide Writer

Melee does more damage than ranged so that's a good reason. Big part of being a dps rogue is choosing the right spec for each fight and often that means melee.

Soulwalker

I'd say "Go for it!", if you enjoy it. I personally fell in love with the Nb/Sin build. There's one in the guide section. I try and use it whenever I can, to be honest. Not always the optimal choice, but I can get away with it most of the time. There are indeed the not so melee friendly encounters that make life a bit harder, but that also at times clashes with the boss tactics a raid leader/group leader/player decide to use.

In my opinion, fights are in general more melee friendly than people make it sound. Just be mobile and reactive. Sometimes I've witnessed tactics used in some groups being a bit limited and narrowed down, without proper reasons behind it. "Because they did it like that in this video" or "its easier this way". Easier for who? The one new to the fight or the one not willing to adjust?

Being ranged can maybe be more forgiving and keep you alive easier, but as encounter experience is gathered, melee will usually shine more and more.

Melee is awesome because it's usually the only way for me to stay awake during raids.

Shadowlander

I guess the simple fact is melee dps Is a lot higher and when you play melee they put mechanics in so it's harder. Otherwise aside from marksmen for interupt and purging every class would go melee for less risk and higher dps

If you have trouble what I did is learnt marksmen ( it's extremely easy of average dps ) and try do all the fights as ranged or as bard till you have learnt them and feel more comfortable going melee. Unless you are making dps checks then you might just have to suck it up and go melee lol

I'm Kruth, I belong to Coriolis but i'm bad, how does that work?

Bunch of abbreviations and numbers like Sy 6/7, CTR 2/2, GVX 9/9 HM 4/4
    yeah im cool

+ Reply to Thread