+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Potential New Player - Bard

Soulwalker

Default Potential New Player - Bard

Hello all.I have been browsing through the forums after discovering the website. My background is EQ/DAOC/GW2. What grabbed my attention was someone mentioned that Rift bard was similar to EQ Bard. My EQ Bard was my favorite character. EQ2 had similar 2 classes but they didn't have the run speed of EQ Bard.

Do Rift Bards have a noticeable run speed increase? Looking through some character builders I only noticed a run speed buff of 15% ?

I prefer pvp play. I see there are a ton of potential builds. In general is a Bard competitive in pvp? Especially as a solo roamer/duo (does that even apply in Rift?)

Quote Originally Posted by carumba View Post
    Do Rift Bards have a noticeable run speed increase?
    Not really. You can pick up a short-duration speed boost if you take Marksman as a subsoul (5 second duration, 30 second cooldown), but aside from Anthem of Competence, you don't get any persistent speed boost.

I prefer pvp play. I see there are a ton of potential builds. In general is a Bard competitive in pvp? Especially as a solo roamer/duo (does that even apply in Rift?)
    Bard is a support spec. It has pretty low damage and mediocre AoE heals. It only really shines in large-scale combat where there are lots of people that can benefit from your raid buffs. That kind of battle is common in some warfronts and very rare in others.

Roaming PvP is a thing that doesn't really happen all that much. Bards aren't particularly noteworthy in 1v1-- in general, if you get into a fight like that, you'll just CC the other guy and walk away.

It's also worth noting that Bard has a significant endurance multiplier from its Gift, which means you end up with a lot more health than pretty much anyone other than a tank. This means that it's rare that skilled PvPers will attack you, because it's just not worth the effort when they could be killing a healer or a DPS instead.

Soulwalker

Well that is unfortunate. After reading someones guide for his Bard and calling him is EQ equal I got excited.

So I guess on to plan B. How about a Marksman and/or Ranger combo with a class that stealths. Try for a similar class as like a DAOC Scout. Would that work for roaming in pvp ?

If you're really into speed boosts, you could pick up the Eth race, which has a speedboost (out of combat, and has cooldown).
    Aside from that, once hitting level 50, there's some small boosts you can get in Planar Attunement.
    There's also potions, foods, and items crafted by outfitters that all give you speed boosts that can be used in combat.

Speed boosts aren't really something you play a class for...

But in my experience Bards are actually really good in pvp and if you want to play bard in pvp it's a great role.

Aubree / Aubwolo - Typhiria - EU
    3/3 Infinity Gate - 4/5 Planebreaker Bastion

Telaran

Having played EQ's flavor of bard for many years I can say that Rift Bard is nowhere near as fun or flexible in playstyle. The only similarity I would mention is they are equally boring to play in a raid.

He is curious about Rift bard run speed because one of the defining qualitys of EQ Bards is their ability to run fast. Think about the fastest mount in rift then multiply that run speed by 3 times and you would be moving as fast as a EQ bard. Oh and you would be levitated and invisible. When they finally added mounts to EQ the mount most desired was the "bard speed" mount.

There are many reasons to play Rift beyond run speed however and I would heartily recommend the game to experienced WoW and EQ players.
    Imriel - Rogue of Ten Inches Unbuffed

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mediik View Post
    Having played EQ's flavor of bard for many years I can say that Rift Bard is nowhere near as fun or flexible in playstyle. The only similarity I would mention is they are equally boring to play in a raid.

He is curious about Rift bard run speed because one of the defining qualitys of EQ Bards is their ability to run fast. Think about the fastest mount in rift then multiply that run speed by 3 times and you would be moving as fast as a EQ bard. Oh and you would be levitated and invisible. When they finally added mounts to EQ the mount most desired was the "bard speed" mount.

There are many reasons to play Rift beyond run speed however and I would heartily recommend the game to experienced WoW and EQ players.
    Someone that understands the power and fun of an EQ Bard. Hard for anyone else to understand who didn't play one.

Anyways, started up a Rogue with MM as the main. Only level 9 but seems really slow killing things.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Aubree View Post

But in my experience Bards are actually really good in pvp and if you want to play bard in pvp it's a great role.
    PvP as a support role I assume ?

PvP as a support role I assume ?
    Yes - it's a buffer/debuffer and potent CCer first, splash healer and minor damage dealer next. When well played it's a force - virtuoso spam heals can carry a team through the initial zerg (no CD 15s worth of spam healing). It pairs well with MM for the mobility you're looking for - swift shot and hasted shot are low hanging fruit, and your movement speed will be extremely fast. On the Double (also from MM) gives you another nice burst of speed.

Bard/MM/RS will not go out of style any time soon - it's slippery as all hell, durable, and has a nice skill curve.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Last edited by Fiskerton; 08-26-2013 at 11:11 PM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    Yes, that was the post I was talking about earlier that tweaked my interest about EQ Bards. As per the replies to my post here he is apparently full of it

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    Yes - it's a buffer/debuffer and potent CCer first, splash healer and minor damage dealer next. When well played it's a force - virtuoso spam heals can carry a team through the initial zerg (no CD 15s worth of spam healing). It pairs well with MM for the mobility you're looking for - swift shot and hasted shot are low hanging fruit, and your movement speed will be extremely fast. On the Double (also from MM) gives you another nice burst of speed.

Bard/MM/RS will not go out of style any time soon - it's slippery as all hell, durable, and has a nice skill curve.
    Sounds like a nice class. Unfortunately I am not really a grouper. More a roamer looking for fights.Not sure if that play style will work in Rift. It did in Daoc/WoW and GW2

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Aubree View Post
    Never played EQ but it's why I played Shadow Hunter in Rappelz. Higher movespeed than mounted players is just so cool. No chance of getting knocked off a mount too.

Sounds like a nice class. Unfortunately I am not really a grouper. More a roamer looking for fights.Not sure if that play style will work in Rift. It did in Daoc/WoW and GW2
    if you want to roam then you want nb or sin or even nb/sin. nb/rift for more survivability
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    if you want to roam then you want nb or sin or even nb/sin. nb/rift for more survivability
    Can you roam with an archer (MM or Ranger) + stealth from one of the other rogues ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast