+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bladedancer, Is it Viable now?

Default Bladedancer, Is it Viable now?

My initial thoughts as a 61 point build are still no. Especially with the buffs to other melee classes within the rogue tree. However if someone out there is trying to put together a BD raiding spec how is it coming along? I'd love to use the class as its mechanics IMO are a little more involved then other classes. But when I test the dps the numbers im getting are inferior to a NB or Sin spec still. However that was with a 61BD/10MM/5Sin build. There may be something better out there and if there is well, that was the reason of this post to find it

Telaran

Find Munspel. He's got a giant hard-on for BD and likes to use it wherever he can. It is viable, just probably not "optimal." Given t1 raiding though, you can really play whatever in the hell you like for most of the encounters and so long as you're not derping pull sufficient #'s to make enrages. You won't win the dps chart mind you.

Bladedancer has been viable for quite a while now (ever since the Dauntless Strike change and the reduced CD on DS/HB), it's just that the situations where it's optimal are rare. It's probably the best spec we have for normal mode Gelidra and possibly Regulos. It also does very well in experts unless you're looking at extremely melee-unfriendly bosses like Cl0n3 or Cahail.

Aside from those, it'll do okay, but you'd probably be better off with something else.

Also, the highest ST spec I've gotten with Bladedancer is 61BD/12sin/3NB.
    Last edited by Muspel; 08-16-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Also, the highest ST spec I've gotten with Bladedancer is 61BD/12sin/3NB.
    How far off is something like 61BD/8NB/7sin as compared to that. I was getting slightly better numbers in the foundry with that, but I could be missing something. I am still new to 61BD.
    Rebooting initiated... Loading Crayons 2.0

I don't have the parses anymore-- the differences were pretty minor if I remember correctly, though. One thing that's irritating about parsing BD is that crit RNG during Fated Blades makes it really difficult to accurately compare specs.

Rift Master

One thing to note about BD is that it's the only melee spec we have that has an interrupt.

In our guild runs, with our warriors now going Champ to take on the AoE duties we used to have as tactman's, it will be important for us. Might be something to consider for your mark-up.

Im pretty sure 61NB is the way to go for regulos. That aside, unfortunately BD is extremely limited because it just cannot handle disconnects at all and with a rotation set in stone it cannot adapt to any fight that has rng involved. We once had a BD on salvarola for interrupting and I'm pretty sure he doesn't wanna do it ever again :P

And speaking of which, maybe its time for another melee spec to get an interrupt as well? As it is now I'd be super happy if NB were to lose blazing path and get a simple interrupt. Yeah, 58 points for an interrupt, still better than blazing path...

Wipe Inc - Zaviel
    4/4, 5/5, 4/4, 1/3

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Caldorian View Post
    One thing to note about BD is that it's the only melee spec we have that has an interrupt.

In our guild runs, with our warriors now going Champ to take on the AoE duties we used to have as tactman's, it will be important for us. Might be something to consider for your mark-up.
    I'm pretty sure stuns still interrupt so you can use sin to interrupt. I have had to tell some sins this when I was tanking and needed an interrupt. Might be different in raids I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeirdOne View Post
    I'm pretty sure stuns still interrupt so you can use sin to interrupt. I have had to tell some sins this when I was tanking and needed an interrupt. Might be different in raids I guess.
    Bosses (and many of their adds) are immune to stuns. Also, Foul Play is on the GCD while interrupts aren't.
    Last edited by Muspel; 08-16-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Bosses (and many of their adds) are immune to stuns. Also, Foul Play is on the GCD while interrupts aren't.
    I thought it still interrupted though. That was my point. I didn't know about the GCD thing so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeirdOne View Post
    I thought it still interrupted though. That was my point. I didn't know about the GCD thing so yeah.
    No. It only interrupts if the stun hits because it's not the mob being interrupted, you just stunned him during a cast. If the mob is immune to stun then stun will not interrupt a cast.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

I've had a 61BD build that I used whenever I could for a while now. Before the patch, I was doing around 18k ST with that, and 21k ST with NB or SIN, after the patch, I am doing 22k or so with NB and Sin, and about 19.5-20k with bladedancer. For fights that you need constant AoE, and do not need to worry about interrupts, NB definitely pulls ahead. For fights with not so constant AoE, like, as mentioned above, Gelidra, and Regulos, Bladedancer pulls way ahead of NB. Another fight I like to use it on is Kain, has enough ST for the first phase to be more than viable, and has Tact-like cleave for the second phase adds, especially with Fated blades or B&SP, throw a dancing steel or hundred blades and those mobs get melted down way too fast to worry about, and obviously doesn't wipe the raid due to soul mechanics as tact would. There are quite a few situations to use a BD build, I also use it on Zaviel when I am on interrupt duty, as it does more DPS than MM if played right. Other than those 4 fights, well 3, because most people wouldn't play it on Zaviel, you can play it if you want to, it has a lot of upsides to it, as does every other soul, but a spec doesn't need to be mathematically superior to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomin View Post
    Another fight I like to use it on is Kain, has enough ST for the first phase to be more than viable, and has Tact-like cleave for the second phase adds, especially with Fated blades or B&SP, throw a dancing steel or hundred blades and those mobs get melted down way too fast to worry about, and obviously doesn't wipe the raid due to soul mechanics as tact would.
    I don't think you understand Kain's mechanics at all. Bladedancer AoEs do not work on the bloods.

Tml

This may be OT, but I'm lvling as Bladedancer and I'm having a blast.
    Exploits are for the weak.

Default Good bladedancer spec?

This spec works well for me:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...9lai8/ykw4R0/A

Rotation is very simple, just expose weakness/precision strike/keen strike as the builder macro, dauntless strike as the finisher, and put the four bd dances in your dance macro and just hit it at start and when the current dance falls off. Use the lethal poison and virulent poison as your weapon buffs. Not sure if the dauntless and lethal crit bonuses stack; if not then maybe lethal's not worth it, or maybe put the bd point somewhere else.

I'd appreciate any additional testing and feedback; pretty sure my asn/nb specs weren't optimally played or maybe even optimally spec'd, but this was doing better than all other asn/nb/bd variations I tried.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast