+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returned player; not sure if ranged solo build still possible

Soulwalker

Default Returned player; not sure if ranged solo build still possible

I used to play Rift a lot in 2011, but stopped for some time and have moved away from traditional MMOs in general. F2P and boredom have drawn me back, and logging in I find a lot has changed.

I used to solo fairly well with a MM/Ranger/Sab build, but I'm not sure if this is still possible. The end-all, be-all solo build seems to be this grandpa build. I'm not interested in playing a predominantly melee character, however. Are there any decent ranged soloing builds, or am I SOL?

Sorry if this is a repeat question. I usually create builds organically and then look at guides to refine them, but it having been so long since I last played and starting at level 50 makes that particular style more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Kativla View Post
    The end-all, be-all solo build seems to be this grandpa build.
    Debatable. It's probably the most popular solo build, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it "end-all, be-all". While it is a good all-around build, it has enough issues that I'm not a big fan of it.

I'm not interested in playing a predominantly melee character, however. Are there any decent ranged soloing builds, or am I SOL?
    Sadly Ranger pets are pretty much made out of cardboard in Storm Legion, though I've had some success with a Ranger/Bard hybrid (24 Ranger, rest in Bard). Saboteur is pretty bad for soloing and doesn't really play well with other Souls. I haven't actually tried MM solo, but I haven't heard anything particularly good about it, either.

Your best bets are probably Bard and Tactician. Neither are traditional Ranged Souls, but they have the self-heals necessary to stay alive and the AoE to take on groups.

Regardless of your build, though, you'll probably want 8 Riftstalker and 4 Tactician (if you have it) for Boosted Recovery and Curative Engine - those two abilities give you a ton of survivability regardless of the rest of your build.

Rift Master

There's 3 ranged options I play with:
    61 Tact / 7 Bard / 8 RS
    Best AoE of the bunch, but medium solo burn, and doesn't get the damage bonuses from Fury of the Ascended. More info from Dunsparrow. Should have better self healing with today's tact changes (Yay self-targetted restorative bolt), but damage will suffer.

61 MM / 11 RS / 4 Tact
    Best ST burn, and can kite packs of mobs around while pushing out Chains of Destruction. What I'm currently using for 62 strongholds. Gets full utility from Fury of the Ascended, so I can burn invasions down just as quick with this as I can tact.

61 Bard / 10 MM / 5 RS
    Slow, slow, slow.... but great self heals, and doesn't waste a role slot as it's also a raid build. I could solo my crater/hive dailies in this if I REALLY wanted to, but limited to 2-3 mobs at a time.

I know you're looking for a ranged build for solo leveling, but since you tried the Grampa build I thought I'd throw in a few of my thoughts on that build in here.

Grampa is great for beginning and returning players who's gear maybe is a bit lacking. However, the macros don't work exactly right (had to change some of them myself when my character started trying to used ranged attacks in melee range). Also once you get some better gear, a 61 build in any melee soul will be superior while using RS or Tact to get some survivability. NB is probably the ultimate winner because it deals with disconnects (times when you have to move out of melee range) better and has decent aoe.

+ Reply to Thread