+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Themed Build: The B.A.T.

Soulwalker

Default Themed Build: The B.A.T.

So, first time post in forum. Any forum, actually. Anyway, I hadnt really seen any themed builds before (maybe I'm not looking in the right spot). Seems like the few I've seen so far are the cookie cutter min/max builds. And while I enjoy them plenty myself, I also thought it would be cool to make a themed build styled after characters we all know and love...and whom more than the BAT? Yep, so I went and tried my amateur hand at making a build as if Batman were a part of Rift. It's a Blademaster/Assassin/Tactician. (Get it? The BAT?) Anyway, here's the link, tell me what you think, and, like another superhero we all know, I say, 'Flame on!'

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMVMtlxk...qsRvVssovxkcoc

Um... what, exactly, is this build for? Dungeons? Soloing? PvP?

In each case, it's going to do pretty terribly due to the gaping hole in dance uptime. Putting 3 more points into Bladedancer alone would drastically increase your damage output by allowing you have a dance up at all times. And you should really max out Hack and Slash, it's one of the strongest talents Bladedancer has. I recommend dropping Infernal Torrent (which does horrible damage without Torrent Primer/Temperature Inversion/Heat Vent), Puncture (which doesn't enable offhand attacks and can't proc Duelist Pose), Extended Workload (Bladedancer doesn't have any energy problems at all), and Cloak and Dagger (since From Stealth attacks are very lackluster unless you're going deep into Assassin).

Even then, though, it'll end up being very subpar for pretty much every situation.
    Last edited by Muspel; 08-14-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Plane Walker

Wow Muspel,

Tear the guy a new one cause he made a build he thought was fun? Sure it's not min/max'd, but you didn't have to critique it like he's trying to suggest it for a raid build man. He was simply tossing out a spec that was mechanically fun to play as if he was Batman in the game world.

You need to lighten up bro. Not everything is about maxing out a raid spec.Poor guy probably won't ever post again now. (and i assume you don't care either) /thinks about the old saying...If you don't have anything nice to say....

while i am in agreement that it was a harsh critque, he did say "flame on".

I guess my question to Muspel would be...instead of thinking of how the build functions in rift....how does the build fit batman's style of action.

batman can steath, and he definitely has Bladedancer qualities to his fight style, but i don't know about Tactician besides providing the T in your Theme build name.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

I'm no expert on builds but try this Bladedancer 51/ Assassin 17/ Tactician 8 should give you a good solo build so you can be Batman and go around going nanananana Batman while you kill NPC's
    Last edited by Hellsong; 08-14-2013 at 07:43 AM.

think Muspel didn't flame as much as give constructive criticism. sometimes words on the internet are hard to judge.
    Beware the Penguin...

Batman may not have a flamethrower, but he's surely a tactician!

nananananananana

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsong View Post
    I'm no expert on builds but try this Bladedancer 51/ Assassin 17/ Tactician 8 should give you a good solo build so you can be Batman and go around going nanananana Batman while you kill NPC's
    Dang it! Now I have that old theme music running through my head...

Batman!

Hey anyone know a build for Robin (or his older version Nightwing)?
    Let Elrar know you care @

https://twitter.com/GiantApproved

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ynrapbag View Post
    Dang it! Now I have that old theme music running through my head...

Batman!

Hey anyone know a build for Robin (or his older version Nightwing)?
    Naw but i think you would have to play a female character to get the right robin outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyloch View Post
    Wow Muspel,

Tear the guy a new one cause he made a build he thought was fun? Sure it's not min/max'd, but you didn't have to critique it like he's trying to suggest it for a raid build man. He was simply tossing out a spec that was mechanically fun to play as if he was Batman in the game world.

You need to lighten up bro. Not everything is about maxing out a raid spec.Poor guy probably won't ever post again now. (and i assume you don't care either) /thinks about the old saying...If you don't have anything nice to say....
    Telling someone what they're doing wrong is not an insult, nor is it impolite-- not when you're offering suggestions and alternatives to improve it. It's called constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Telling someone what they're doing wrong is not an insult, nor is it impolite-- not when you're offering suggestions and alternatives to improve it. It's called constructive criticism.
    In each case, it's going to do pretty terribly
    [...]
    Even then, though, it'll end up being very subpar for pretty much every situation.
    This sort of language reads as "your build sucks and will always suck", and is unnecessarily harsh. Even if you give the best suggestions ever, it still isn't constructive criticism if you chase off the reader.

Avoid words like "terrible" and "subpar" when talking about a person or their work if you want to make criticism that is constructive, and even prefacing a value statement in such a way as it doesn't sound like an absolute makes a huge difference in how hostile a criticism sounds (e.g. "This build is subpar" vs. "I think this build is subpar")

If you had posted this instead, it would have been far more constructive:
    What, exactly, is this build for? Dungeons? Soloing? PvP?

In each case, putting 3 more points into Bladedancer alone would drastically increase your damage output by allowing you have a dance up at all times. And you should really max out Hack and Slash, it's one of the strongest talents Bladedancer has. I recommend dropping Infernal Torrent (which does horrible damage without Torrent Primer/Temperature Inversion/Heat Vent), Puncture (which doesn't enable offhand attacks and can't proc Duelist Pose), Extended Workload (Bladedancer doesn't have any energy problems at all), and Cloak and Dagger (since From Stealth attacks are very lackluster unless you're going deep into Assassin).

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by spweasel View Post
    This sort of language reads as "your build sucks and will always suck", and is unnecessarily harsh. Even if you give the best suggestions ever, it still isn't constructive criticism if you chase off the reader.

Avoid words like "terrible" and "subpar" when talking about a person or their work if you want to make criticism that is constructive, and even prefacing a value statement in such a way as it doesn't sound like an absolute makes a huge difference in how hostile a criticism sounds (e.g. "This build is subpar" vs. "I think this build is subpar")

Telling somebody "you think" vs "you know", the way muspel said it is the proper way to say it because he doesn't think it he knows it. As for making it sound nicer who cares we are all grownups if you don't wan't to be told something you made is subpar or needs improvement don't offer it up for any criticism. Unless the poster is 12 or he has been in the real world and knows you don't get gold stars for everything you do.
    Last edited by sancin; 08-14-2013 at 11:12 AM.

This sort of language reads as "your build sucks and will always suck", and is unnecessarily harsh.
    The build does suck. I pointed out the weaknesses if he wanted to improve on it, while still noting that it would be weak pretty no matter what he did.

Even if you give the best suggestions ever, it still isn't constructive criticism if you chase off the reader.
    Yes, it is. If somebody tells their mechanic that they're going to start using peanut oil instead of actual oil in their car, and asks him what he thinks, the mechanic would be remiss if he didn't mention that it's a terrible, terrible idea.

Except that the build is subpar. This isn't a matter of opinion, the build is objectively weak. I made it an absolute statement because it is an absolute: this build will be far weaker than an actual optimized build.
    Last edited by Muspel; 08-14-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Plane Walker

I made it an absolute statement because it is an absolute: this build will be far weaker than an actual optimized build.
    In all fairness he does say "tell me what you think". But did you ever think maybe an optimized build isn't what he was going for? Did you think for one second he's not suggesting this for a raid? (which is your only focus imo). Did you ever think it's just a fun build he wanted to share and be silly with?

So I stress my "absolute" statement again. Lighten up. It's not always OMFG PEWPEW DPS LIKE YOU MEAN IT!!! OR ****!!!

Did I slip and fall into a carebear universe where you cannot tell people that poor performing builds are just that? He asked for criticism and he got it, that is how people get better. Kid gloves and flowery words are not required when explaining that something needs to be tweaked, and how, because it is bad. This is not a self esteem training camp for children who need to be overindulged by helicopter moms.
    robbinthehoodz@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast