+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Marksman PVP?

Soulwalker

Default Marksman PVP?

Just coming back to the game after a long absence (stopped playing a few months after launch). I pretty much only PVP and I've always loved the run 'n gun play style. So I was wondering, is marksman the best soul for that play style? I'm open to any of the other callings as well (I'm also working on a Pyro). Not super-interested in a pet class, but if ranger is working really well with Marksman I'd be open to trying it. Can anyone recommend a good Marksman build for 2.3? Or recommend a different soul/soul combo for the run ' gun play style? Thanks!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by KavanM View Post
    Just coming back to the game after a long absence (stopped playing a few months after launch). I pretty much only PVP and I've always loved the run 'n gun play style. So I was wondering, is marksman the best soul for that play style? I'm open to any of the other callings as well (I'm also working on a Pyro). Not super-interested in a pet class, but if ranger is working really well with Marksman I'd be open to trying it. Can anyone recommend a good Marksman build for 2.3? Or recommend a different soul/soul combo for the run ' gun play style? Thanks!
    Right now 44MM/32RNG is the best ST ranged spec for PvP. Here's the spec I run. I don't use a pet, but put the points in endurance instead (got tired of managing the pet).

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...kxkx4/zr5lhg22

Cast Decoy, Piercing shot, Splinter shot, barbed shot, Shadow Fire ----> RFS ----> EMP Shot, swift, swift, swift ----> Hasted shot

Rotation will look something like the above, but with a little luck (opportunity procs) you shouldn't have to use so many swifts. Just refresh splinter and barbed every 10 seconds, and you're good (piercing debuff lasts 30 seconds, so you only have to use it once on a target). You can macro shadow fire if you wish, or use it along with your finisher for burst. Also use Head Shot once a minute as a finisher for the Bestial Fury buff (+5% damage). You can also Quick Reload for two successive RFS if you need the burst.

Right now on live, this spec is better than 61MM while still having all the important utility. After rogues get buffed (should be soon), 61MM will likely be king again. For now, though, avoid it.
    Last edited by AceinHole; 08-12-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    Right now 44MM/32RNG is the best ST ranged spec for PvP. Here's the spec I run. I don't use a pet, but put the points in endurance instead (got tired of managing the pet).

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...kxkx4/zr5lhg22

Cast Decoy, Piercing shot, Splinter shot, barbed shot, Shadow Fire ----> RFS ----> EMP Shot, swift, swift, swift ----> Hasted shot

Rotation will look something like the above, but with a little luck (opportunity procs) you shouldn't have to use so many swifts. Just refresh splinter and barbed every 10 seconds, and you're good (piercing debuff lasts 30 seconds, so you only have to use it once on a target). You can macro shadow fire if you wish, or use it along with your finisher for burst. Also use Head Shot once a minute as a finisher for the Bestial Fury buff (+5% damage). You can also Quick Reload for two successive RFS if you need the burst.

Right now on live, this spec is better than 61MM while still having all the important utility. After rogues get buffed (should be soon), 61MM will likely be king again. For now, though, avoid it.
    What kind of damage loss, if any, does this spec see vs. the pet-based version?
    Howitzer@Seastone, Level 60 Rogue
    Formerly Amane & Solid
    RIP <Server Police>

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Amane View Post
    What kind of damage loss, if any, does this spec see vs. the pet-based version?
    Very little. If you prefer the pet version, by all means run it. I just find it a hassle.

Use 61 Marksman. While it's true that MM/Ranger hybrids will pull more sustained DPS (and therefore show up higher on the scoreboards), they have lower burst and less utility than 61 Marksman does. And since killing people in PvP is largely about burst damage and utility is a big deal, this means that 61MM is the better spec for warfronts if you're looking at actual effectiveness, rather than just scoreboard numbers.

Gonna ask here, is there any way to remove the annoying "you have no pet" message?

I prefer 61 mm, you can do quick burst, you can pin them down/silence. And pet management is fine 1v1 but in a group they die quick.

Just my opinion.

Also, eradicate, its good, very good, use it!
    Infanta
    Hello Kitty
    60 rogue, mage, cleric and working on a worrior

Telaran

I also use 61 mm and the rest in ranger. The burst is too awsome to pass up, and with the buffs coming it's only going to get better. I am still using merc weapons and it is not uncommon to drop someone from 1/2 (and a few times 3/4) health with 3 global cool downs. I'm about 100k away from 70 and am excited to see what the burst will look like with new weaps. =)
    Phixler
    Phixation - RR83 Swordmaster - Badlands

Quote Originally Posted by Phatts View Post
    I also use 61 mm and the rest in ranger. The burst is too awsome to pass up, and with the buffs coming it's only going to get better. I am still using merc weapons and it is not uncommon to drop someone from 1/2 (and a few times 3/4) health with 3 global cool downs. I'm about 100k away from 70 and am excited to see what the burst will look like with new weaps. =)
    I think my other points are distributed in sin and nb but im not home to check.... might have to change it up

I was thinking RS, but i suppose you lose passive dmg with the ability to zip around annoying the crap out of people
    Infanta
    Hello Kitty
    60 rogue, mage, cleric and working on a worrior

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    MM/Ranger have lower burst and less utility than 61 Marksman does.
    Wrong and wrong. The burst is about the same. The utility is the same.

And since killing people in PvP is largely about burst damage and utility is a big deal, this means that 61MM is the better spec for warfronts if you're looking at actual effectiveness, rather than just scoreboard numbers.
    I always do more damage and get more kills with the hybrid than I do 61MM. With the hybrid it is very rare that I am not #1 in damage and kills. With 61MM, it is a toss-up. I get out-damaged often.

But I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make him drink. The refusal to drink (i.e. listen to more experienced players) is why there are so many terrible MM's on live right now. Luckily for them, 61MM will be the go-to spec after the buffs.
    Last edited by AceinHole; 08-13-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Plane Touched

Wrong and wrong. The burst is about the same. The utility is the same.
    What's your burst in ranger/mm? Its easy to see in 61mm but not seeing it in the hybrid. When splinter was 2 combo points before i would of said headshot/splinter/shadow/headshot. Now all i can see is basically the same but add 1 gcd of crappy quick. lenghening the time to do the same dmg thats still apears less then mms.
    Last edited by sancin; 08-13-2013 at 11:15 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Deadeye Shot, Shadow Fire, Empowered Shot, Rapid Fire Shot, Empowered Shot is pretty good burst.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by sancin View Post
    What's your burst in ranger/mm? Its easy to see in 61mm but not seeing it in the hybrid. When splinter was 2 combo points before i would of said headshot/splinter/shadow/headshot. Now all i can see is basically the same but add 1 gcd of crappy quick. lenghening the time to do the same dmg thats still apears less then mms.
    Bah never mind forgot about all the mm stuff. So its like rfs/empowred/shadow/finisher vs the empowred/rfs/empowered/hasted.

Wrong and wrong. The burst is about the same.
    Burst is lower. MM/Ranger has good burst, but it's still not as good as 61MM.

The utility is the same.
    ...Are you serious? MM/Ranger has far less utility than 61MM.
    Last edited by Muspel; 08-13-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post

...Are you serious? MM/Ranger has far less utility than 61MM.
    Not real sure i would call 2 knockbacks a lot more utility. And with the hybrid you could move a point around for a 2nd interrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by spowers454 View Post
    Not real sure i would call 2 knockbacks a lot more utility. And with the hybrid you could move a point around for a 2nd interrupt.
    Except that's not really what I was talking about. 61MM has subsoul flexibility to pick up all kinds of different utility. MM/Ranger does not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast