+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saboteur (for PvE): Do I just suck at this?

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Saboteur (for PvE): Do I just suck at this?

So, I have levelled rogue a fair bit -- two 50+ rogues so far. (Originally, did this because I could have one each guardian and defiant).

For a long time, my go-to soloing build for ordinary PvE content was sin/sab. With 1.11, this got a noticable buff in that charges can proc poisons. So, with leeching poison and a bit of planning, I could put out a fairly respectable hunk of damage on several targets, and have at least some incoming healing. For extra benefit, note that charges themselves are considered a "poison" (as opposed to a curse, or disease), and get roughly a 15% damage boost from the assassin Poison Potency.

Then comes SL. And suddenly... I appear to suck, and I'm not sure why. I play multiple specs, and always have. In the old world, sin/sab wasn't necessarily awesome for everything, but it could do some pretty impressive things, and it was a lot of fun. In SL, I've got half a dozen rogue specs with which I am consistently beating things up without much trouble, but sin/sab has just not been working for me. I've tried a few things. Getting 4 points of tact for curative engine certainly helps. Don't have enough points yet to try a build with Poison Mastery and the cool Sab stuff, but increasing poison procs dramatically would presumably help some. Alternatively, pick up Riftstalker for survivability, although guardian phase might be unrewarding for a DPS build.

But mostly, I just want to sneak around and blow stuff up, only not suck at it a lot. So I would appreciate suggestions/tips. I think the underlying issue is just that the ratio from my DPS to the mob health pool changes pretty unfavorably when I get into SL, resulting in a sudden and large increase in how long I have to survive before I am standing over a pile of corpses and enjoying out-of-combat regeneration again.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Well, I've come to realize leveling my Rogue that we just don't have any sort of actual sustain like Mages or Clerics can get, don't know about Warriors.

We can get somewhat tanky with Riftstalker and 4 in tact, but that's about it, aside from a little regen from 8 riftstalker after a fight we really have 0 sustain lol, I don't even see what the big deal is about NB/RS hybrid for leveling, sure I'm kinda tanky and have a couple tank cooldowns, but no sustain, pull 5+ mobs and sometimes can't kill them before I'm in trouble.

Meanwhile my mage/cleric solo builds can tank 10+ mobs infinitely while not breaking a sweat. Only efficient thing I can do on my rogue is aoe KITE groups of mobs as tact hybrid.

I'm assuming you're talking about leveling with Sab right?

Would be nice to be able to hybrid with bard or tact and have sufficient self sustain like any chloro hybrid can.

I haven't really tried/bothered leveling with Sab since it just looks like a PITA compared to tact, but you could probably try abusing the aoe root trap after gathering mobs. Maybe hybrid with tact to get Curative Core and Glacial Torrent.
    Last edited by Drynaut; 08-05-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Rift Chaser

Leaching does not cut it as primary solo heals anymore imo. I would ditch stealh and go someting like this for a solo sab spec: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/p...aAGFmlkEEw/T8g

High bard bard tact/hybrids do very well with self heals solo. It can be a very safe build as you have access to a good mez also. However, dps is not stellar compared to bard/NB(good ST) or mm/tact(good AE).

I'd say the answer to the question resides in your own post.

Both Sin and Sab are souls that I would say fit under the "glass cannon" category. They do great burst but have low survivability. While in old content a great burst could take down a group of mobs before you needed to worry about taking too much damage, the increased health pool of SL mobs means that you can't take them down before their damage becomes an issue with your old spec.

The primary issue is that Sab kinda sucks for soloing. Old world content is fine due to low health pools meaning that Sab's pre-loaded damage can take enemies out all at once, but SL enemies are just too durable for that to really work.

As for the survivability issue, I find that Rogue can have fairly solid survivability, but it comes at the cost of not using a super-bursty spec. I personally like RS/Sin for that (something like this). There appears to be a limitation on Poison procs for AoE attacks that prevents the build from scaling up to 10 enemies as well as it should on paper, sadly.

RIFT Guide Writer

Poison Proc chance is divided by the amount of targets the attack hits. So if you have 20% chance to proc on a single target then your proc chance on 8 targets is only 2.5% per target. Therefore on average you don't get any more healing out of leeching poison no matter how many targets there are.

In my opinion sab doesn't work that well for soloing. I would suggest something like this: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/p...i55I/Akw48/t8g
    Then just put more points into MM as you level.

The key to rogue soloing is to keep killing stuff so that Boosted Recovery keeps ticking. For example if you think you have a difficult pull ahead then you can pull something easy before it and the do the difficult pull while the first pull is close to dying.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Okay. I was thinking the health pool change might explain it, but it seemed weird to have a spec suddenly transition from solidly awesome to sort of weak, while others mostly kept their comparative rankings for me.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I leveled on Granpa's spec, it has tact for healing / boosted recovery... its really good. Use it to 60 then do what you want.

Check rogue section.
    Infanta
    Hello Kitty
    60 rogue, mage, cleric and working on a worrior

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Okay. I was thinking the health pool change might explain it, but it seemed weird to have a spec suddenly transition from solidly awesome to sort of weak, while others mostly kept their comparative rankings for me.
    What does your build look like?
    I think going to far in to Sab is less effective than going Assassin. If I where to build a SabSin spec at level 50 I think I'd do it like this. (Single Target)

But yeah, I also think that the increased health pool vs the damage you deal at the beginning is a big reason too because SabSins strength lies in taking a big chunk of health in one go.

+ Reply to Thread