+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Rogue Tanking

Soulwalker

Default Help with Rogue Tanking

I'd love to tank with Riftstalker but I'm failing my group when it heats up on the the dungeon boss - ie.. I get killed... then so does everyone else. I'll assume the healer's doing a great job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's my spec at level 27: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/pts#v8E/Tu/thkS9ig

Am I picking the wrong support classes? I plan on just pouring the rest into rifstalker.

Does the 30% reduction in healing on non-riftstalker abilities from Guardian Phase reduce the effect of the support souls to much?

I usually have Planar Reversal up placing me behind the mob when teleporting for the Rift Guard buff. Is my moving to either side of the mob problematic for the healer?

I seem to do fine until the last 10-20% of health on the boss and then everything goes to pot. Thanks for any advise, help you can provide!!

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/pts#v8/zu/thkW9im0

Use cooldowns when you get a feel that bad things is going to happen.
    Always keep the mob between you and the healer, meaning you face the healer and have the mob's back turned towards the raid/group.
    Don't turn mobs around with planar reversal all the time, you open up people to cleaves which hurt anything non-tank badly.

Endurance > anything else at low levels:
    Are you running with endurance-heavy source engine?
    Have you crafted or asked someone to craft gear with endurance augments?
    Are you using runes?
    Vials and food?

Your level doesn't really matter as lower level items provide a proportionate boost to your survivability, especially augments and source engine. Runes don't hurt in the long run and should cost next to nothing.
    Last edited by Rounded; 08-04-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pikapp515 View Post
    I'd love to tank with Riftstalker but I'm failing my group when it heats up on the the dungeon boss - ie.. I get killed... then so does everyone else. I'll assume the healer's doing a great job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's my spec at level 27: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree/pts#v8E/Tu/thkS9ig

Am I picking the wrong support classes? I plan on just pouring the rest into rifstalker.

Does the 30% reduction in healing on non-riftstalker abilities from Guardian Phase reduce the effect of the support souls to much?

I usually have Planar Reversal up placing me behind the mob when teleporting for the Rift Guard buff. Is my moving to either side of the mob problematic for the healer?

I seem to do fine until the last 10-20% of health on the boss and then everything goes to pot. Thanks for any advise, help you can provide!!
    You've got a good start in terms of souls and point placement, however there's some tweaking that could be done.

First up, I'd switch your Tactician soul to a ranger for the same endurance bonus but acquired much earlier on in the tree. On top of this, your ability to use single target ranged attacks allows for selective pulling which is always a plus. Some will argue that Tactician's Curative Engine is another reason to keep it, but really it's up to personal preference.

Next, remove those two lonely points you have in the Riftstalker soul that boost your resist by jack-ship percent, most spells that will hit you will be less effective than any melee attack you take, which is saying something considering you're a tank.

In the case that you keep your Tactician soul and you find yourself in an "Oh sh!t" moment, pop barrier remote and planar refuge in that order so your healer can get you back in the green. Another thing worth taking a look at is the Bladedancer soul which has a neat little trait of striking back at your enemy when you dodge or parry

At that level, with those amount of points to spend, I did the following:

The only thing I would change from your current spec is change Tactician to BladeDancer.

Use 4 points in Quick Reflexes - this also gives you 'Side Steps'. Pop 'Side Steps' (increases dodge by 50%) when you're getting beaten up and this will give the healers the break they need to get you back up.

Good luck.
    Last edited by bigart; 08-05-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pikapp515 View Post
    I would suggest making sure you were pumping as many points into RS as you can at every level, only putting points into the other Souls when you get a 2-point level. This gets you the best RS talents ASAP and you also benefit from the RS Gift.

The optimal subsouls for tanking (at least Raid tanking) are technically Ranger and Bard, but Tactician does have merit, especially if you are ever going to try to solo with this build. Keep in mind that if the healer is doing a good enough job, you shouldn't need Curative Engine.

For 27, I would suggest something like this: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMATcbvesVzkhkbvVb

By grabbing Shadow Mastery ASAP, you can keep Planar Vortex up virtually 100% of the time, which will help drop the boss faster (which means less time for the boss to kill you). Getting 7 Points in Bard right away makes you slightly easier to heal, which will help in the long run.

Yes and no. While Tanking, the only thing that really changes is that Curative Engine isn't as good as it otherwise would be.

If you use Planar Reversal, turn it off after using it once. DPS will generally want to stay behind the boss (doubly so if you have an Assassin in the party), and having the boss spinning around while fighting does more harm than good. The more stable you and the boss are, the better things will go, especially if the group isn't particularly competent.

Soulwalker

Thanks for all the responses and well thought out advice!!

I'm going to try 0BD/27RS/8Bard: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMATcbvesVzkhkbvVb

I also think I was moving around too much and causing the "cleaving" some of you mentioned. I'd also get myself between a wall and the monster making it difficult for the healer I assume. Finally, I'll read up on dungeon bosses before entering so I got an Idea for when they spike dmg the most and wait to pop my important cool downs at the right time.

Thanks again!!

+ Reply to Thread