Closed Thread

Thread: Rogue Tanking - Storm Legion Experts

Soulwalker

Default Rogue Tanking - Storm Legion Experts

I didn't want to clutter up the Riftstalker tanking guide with this question, so I'm posting it here. I'm fairly new to Rift, having joined during the Raptr event in May, but I've done tanking in several other MMOs.

I'm currently in Storm Legion experts; technically, I'm overgeared, as I have 400+ hit and 400 toughness, but I'm still getting hit like a truck by mobs. I'm keeping my buffs and debuffs up but I rely heavily on using my cooldowns.

Is this normal for rogue tanking? I've never had to rely this heavily on cooldown abilities in prior games and it worries me that I'm doing something wrong.

Stats wise, I have ~42k health, 43% damage reduction from armor (that sounds hideously low), 4% parry, 22% deflect and 3% dodge.

I appreciate any insight or suggestions. Thanks.

Plane Walker

Yes, the mobs in SL experts hit like a truck until you are significantly over geared.

42K health is an obscenely low number to be tanking experts with. If you have that kind of health, it sounds to me like you only have the 4 toughness pieces, and everything else it DPS gear. That, and you source engine/sigil sounds like it's under geared as well.

You should be aiming for 50-55K health self buffed to "comfortably" tank experts (you'll still get hit like a truck, but you'll have some buffer for your healer and won't have to constantly use a CD).

Work on filling out your source engine/sigil with endurance heavy essences (you do have a dedicated tank engine, right?), and getting the crafted rings, helm, and belt made with Stellar Rugged augments (about 250p per item).

Also, what is the spec you're using? It is the 61/8/7 RS/Rngr/Bard spec in the guide, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Caldorian View Post
    42K health is an obscenely low number to be tanking experts with. If you have that kind of health, it sounds to me like you only have the 4 toughness pieces, and everything else it DPS gear. That, and you source engine/sigil sounds like it's under geared as well.
    42k is about entry level gear, actually, although he might be missing some runes or something. I tanked my first experts around that amount on both my rogue and my cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by Talthas View Post
    I'm keeping my buffs and debuffs up but I rely heavily on using my cooldowns.

Is this normal for rogue tanking? I've never had to rely this heavily on cooldown abilities in prior games and it worries me that I'm doing something wrong.
    That's normal for every tank. If you don't overgear the content, you'll be rotating through defensive cooldowns. (And even if you do overgear it, it's often a good idea to do it anyways, because it means you can pull multiple packs of enemies at once).
    Last edited by Muspel; 07-03-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    42k is about entry level gear, actually, although he might be missing some runes or something. I tanked my first experts around that amount on both my rogue and my cleric.
    Never said it wasn't doable, but you'll be heavily reliant on your CDs and will need a solid healer. And if he's only at 42K with 400 toughness and hit, he's missing more than just a few runes (although I did forget about them).

Never said it wasn't doable, but you'll be heavily reliant on your CDs and will need a solid healer. And if he's only at 42K with 400 toughness and hit, he's missing more than just a few runes (although I did forget about them).
    My point is that I'm reasonably certain that it's impossible to get 50k health before going into experts, unless you're finishing out Torvan and Lycini rep first, which absolutely no one does.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    My point is that I'm reasonably certain that it's impossible to get 50k health before going into experts, unless you're finishing out Torvan and Lycini rep first, which absolutely no one does.
    I'm fairly certain I was at 52K when I started tanking them, at which point I had a full set of level 60 gear (bought the 4x+75 toughness world vendor pieces, not upgraded, and EC/TotS drops for the others), full crafted gear, and level 56/60 blue tanking essences in my core, plus a full set of runes (not including dreaming star based runes). My cape was crap at the time, possible still green. Lycini and Torvan definitely weren't maxed first.
    Last edited by Caldorian; 07-03-2013 at 07:24 AM.

I tanked Storm Legion experts about 1 week after release and I had 36k health for those first few dungeons. This was a guild group running the correct composition including support. The challenge of the experts has been somewhat diluted since those days but 42k health and 400 toughness is more than enough unless your group expects you to run in and gather up everything like a fully geared raid tank.

I revisited this challenge a few days ago when I began tanking on my cleric who has similar health, armour and toughness to you. I actually enjoyed the runs because I felt mortal on some of the trash pulls and had to work with an undergeared healer to compensate. It was a lot of fun.

PS: Side Steps is godly for trash packs.
    Bard@Greybriar

BoB: Cleared+HM, RoF: 4/4, MS: 3/5
    I kill, I maim, I fornicate, but as far as my flock is concerned my only vice is a little tipple before Evensong - The baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

You can get crafted epics that are great. Helm, Belt, Ring1, Ring2, Seal

Be sure to rune your gear, you can get the 21 or 32 endurance for cheap. Goes on main hand, off hand, feat, glove, chest.

Essences can be a massive boost to defensive stats. Daily Raid Rifts usually drop 2 per. Otherwise farm that rep.

Speaking of rep, each faction has a rune that can be used on certain pieces; cape, neck, belt, seal, rings 1/2, trinket

Entry Expert stats 300 hit, 300 toughness, 40k hp, 5% avoidance, 20% deflect
    Entry T1 Raid stats 400/420 hit, 400 toughness, 50k hp, 10% avoidance, 30% deflect

Storm Legion is notorious for beating the stuffing out of tanks, be ready to use cooldowns, and don't be afraid to use your mobility if necessary.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the responses. I'm missing a good tanking seal, runes, and Greater Essences so I'll take some time off from dungeons to try to acquire all of those. I also need to get a pair of tanking weapons.

I'm glad to know it's not just the class or me goofing up that's the cause of the frantic cooldown spamming, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Talthas View Post
    Greater Essences
    The only greater essences that are worth using require you to be Venerated with the Torvan Hunters, and to have two of the absurdly expensive BoE greaters to upgrade the Torvan Essences with. Until you have access to those, just use 6 lessers.

Sword of Telara

Yes, the mobs in SL experts hit like a truck until you are significantly over geared.

You should be aiming for 50-55K health self buffed to "comfortably" tank experts (you'll still get hit like a truck, but you'll have some buffer for your healer and won't have to constantly use a CD).

Work on filling out your source engine/sigil with endurance heavy essences (you do have a dedicated tank engine, right?), and getting the crafted rings, helm, and belt made with Stellar Rugged augments (about 250p per item).

Also, what is the spec you're using? It is the 61/8/7 RS/Rngr/Bard spec in the guide, right?
    You cant get that level of gear and health until you have end of expert gear. To be honest 40k is above entry level for expert gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega326 View Post
    While we're making wild accusations without any backup, I'm going to go ahead and say that you are a 12 year old horse named Suzy that lives in a crater on the moon... and I am absolutely correct.

Just going to toss this out there:

If you are under 45k hp, maybe even under 50k hp, you might want to have the support actually run support and not dps. Rogue is an old school blood tank, the deflect is fun but it doesn't make or break you, and you are running a fairly small hp pool for experts.

Also: endurance endurance endurance.
    "You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Closed Thread