+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue roles in 5 mans and raids?

Default Rogue roles in 5 mans and raids?

After two years of playing a cleric I've lost all interest in the class for a variety of reasons. I had leveled a warrior to 50, but miss the option to heal. Now I'm leveling a rogue as a Bladedancer, and enjoying the game again.

So, I'm familiar with the game, but not the class. At all. What I do know about rogues is probably based on obsolete info. I have a few questions for the experts out there;

- Are rogues viable as healers in 5 mans? I wouldn't think so, but am curious if that's changed.
    - When running as support, what do rogues bring to 5 mans, and to raids?
    - Are there multiple support roles needed in raids, or does one technician/bard cover cover all the requirements and the rest are DPS?

DPS is fun, but I prefer healing or support in group content, and want to know what to practice.

Thanks!

- Rogues are not viable healers for 5 mans, unless very overgeared. That isn't likely to happen until the next tier of gear for most people, or normals/old content. Bards and tacticians however are excellent support healers for undergeared groups.

- As mentioned, in 5 mans Bard and Tactician bring great support heals and Bard brings some buffs as well. But the buffs are more useful in 10 or 20 man raids, where a Bard is almost always a requirement. Bard can do many things and they're all useful in raids.

- Generally you need one Bard and one Archon or Beastmaster to cover all of the primary support buffs. The Bard and Archon guides in my sig have some more details on what those roles bring, and you can also take a look at the Buff/Debuff Stacking list to see how the buffs interact.

Tactician isn't really needed in raids any more for a support or healing role, it was mostly useful in a hybrid with Bard back when Restorative Engine heals were benefiting from two separate bugs and thus healing a lot more than intended. It is still used in a hybrid with Marksman for DPS purposes however.

Awesome, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I'll check out your guides tonight.

Thanks TheGrinnz!

+ Reply to Thread