+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bard - At what level can we help?

Soulwalker

Default Bard - At what level can we help?

I've currently got a level 28 bard as my main (with tactician as my sidearm). I put as many points as possible into the healing soul slots (including +healing %).

However, my heals don't really seem to aid the battle at all. My Motif of Regeneration (which lasts 20 seconds) only heals 8 damage per tick (160 over 20 seconds). The cadence that triggers healing only heals 11-15 per tick depending upon the buffs in my party/raid (44 over 4 seconds). Considering I'm seeing most classes hit for 300 damage with insta-cast abilities, it would take me 5-4 second casts of cadence to heal that (a little less if I have the motif stacked) which is nowhere near enough to allow anyone to recover due to the fast pace of battle with a even a single insta-cast DoT spell negating my efforts.

...the other problems are: my buffs aren't really doing much and my damage is sub-par.

I'd say the +endurance/armor buffs are my greatest asset (but even the endurance buff only gives me a few extra health). The motifs that increase critical hit chance by 1% and increase armor by 20 are a joke and waste a cooldown second.

My damage is 'eh'. I can burst ~500+250+500 in about 5-6 seconds if I already have all my combo points stacked.. but then I am essentially **** out of luck with attacks that are doing 80-150 per hit (meaning, I can't even put a dent on most shields). I'd be lucky to even stay alive for that first 5-6 seconds.. and then I lose the little bit of healing power I do have.

Any tips or suggestions? At what level can I actually bring something to the battle other than sucking away the healer's attention that could be used to keep up a class that actually seems to be helping.

I've been playing a lot and do feel I'm playing the class efficiently.. it's just not working out for me.

I chose this class based on a video I saw of a healing bard. Looking at the tree, I won't be able to aid as he did until level 54 with higher healing %'s and the multiple osculations buff.
    Last edited by Chryste; 06-19-2013 at 10:30 AM.

I found my uses better at 40, however I mainly PvP

I think of myself as a gas station. Damaged people come into my radius and re-heal up fairly quick as long as they aren't latched onto by the enemy. Mezzing also comes into play for crowd control (can't recall what level that shows up)

Soulwalker

I believe I have the option for the mesmerize now, but I went with the +healing choice first and don't yet have more points to spend to get it.

I feel as if the mesmerize is just going to be like one of the mage's transformation.. where if the target has a DoT on it already, or gets hit, it's automatically cancelled.

What are you trying to do at this level? Solo quests with full bard? Are you doing pvp? Dungeons? A bard is not a healing class....its a support class.

Soulwalker

Personally i would change it to tact main focus with a side bard. Tact seem's to heal for more. Expecially once you get to 41 points and get the healing torrent. I still go bard but honestly only for the motifs and fanfares. Currently im aiming for 30 or 31 points in bard the rest into tact. Gives me greater healing, damage, and in general better survival.

Soulwalker

Hey!

I'm at 45 Rogue ATM.

For what it's worth, your bard isn't meant to specialize in healing (at least from what I see).

The biggest advantage you give to your team is your plethora of extremely useful buffs.
    You have 3 - 4 active motifs, and 3 team aura buffs.

You can also increase damage taken on your enemy targets, which is nice. It's a really nice constanza of damage, support, and minor healing. Also, keep in mind, your healing isn't large, but it is massively AoE. Your best position is to keep spreading your buffs out, whilst spreading HoT's and small heals AoE.

Just my two cents sir.

At level 28 you are already bringing Resonance to the battle. Resonance is your most important buff you can do at you're level. Make sure you max this out ASAP( As soon as possible).

5 ranks
    Resonance
    Increases all of your ally's attributes by 1% if your ally is affected by Motif of Bravery, Motif of Regeneration and Motif of Tenacity. Lasts 20 seconds.
    Requires 25 points in Bard

At endgame, level 60 a 61 point bard can heal really good, just that it's damage output is crap haha. As you level up you can try a combination of bard and tactician that does even more healing than full bard. Since you're level 28 you can try a build like this http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zM0ctvlbzVRvVq0ocz its a tact/bard spec that you can eventually build up to look like this at level 60 http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zM0tcvlk...zvirzVR0qkt0zV
    -Smarted the Awesome

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonz View Post
    At level 28 you are already bringing Resonance to the battle. Resonance is your most important buff you can do at you're level. Make sure you max this out ASAP( As soon as possible).

5 ranks
    Resonance
    Increases all of your ally's attributes by 1% if your ally is affected by Motif of Bravery, Motif of Regeneration and Motif of Tenacity. Lasts 20 seconds.
    Requires 25 points in Bard

At endgame, level 60 a 61 point bard can heal really good, just that it's damage output is crap haha. As you level up you can try a combination of bard and tactician that does even more healing than full bard. Since you're level 28 you can try a build like this http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zM0ctvlbzVRvVq0ocz its a tact/bard spec that you can eventually build up to look like this at level 60 http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zM0tcvlk...zvirzVR0qkt0zV
    An alternate support build is http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMtcVqVb...qzbzvl0zsRcV0t. First thing first yes its missing the debuff coda's. Its intentional as other classes have as good or better debuffs that do NOT stack with ours making them a waist of combo points. This build caps the useful perk's of the bard along with the better everything else the tact has going for it. Bladedancer is mearly for the defense buff side steps. It can save you in a tight spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Uhdana View Post
    An alternate support build is http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMtcVqVb...qzbzvl0zsRcV0t. First thing first yes its missing the debuff coda's. Its intentional as other classes have as good or better debuffs that do NOT stack with ours making them a waist of combo points. This build caps the useful perk's of the bard along with the better everything else the tact has going for it. Bladedancer is mearly for the defense buff side steps. It can save you in a tight spot.
    The other class's debuffs are identical, except the Bard ones are AoE so in AoE situations they are in fact necessary.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    The other class's debuffs are identical, except the Bard ones are AoE so in AoE situations they are in fact necessary.
    True they are aoe. But short of say raid's i personally have issues getting them up before half or more of the mobs are dead. Thats me though. Not to mention i much perfer the healing torrent for when i need it. That thing has saved my group more than once. But then again it really just comes down to preference i guess. I aim more at group health side of support than debuff side.

Soulwalker

Can you post your spec? It might help us determine what's wrong for sure. And are you talking PvP or PvE dungeons?

In PvP, there just isn't enough there to be able to raid heal yet at this level, you just don't have all the tools. And being a support soul and focusing on healing you just aren't going to pump out the burst dps to help take people down. At this stage the buffs you provide through the Fanfares, Anthems, Motifs, and Resonance is about it. I would suggest for now specing more a DPS route until you have the points to get all the goodies Bard / Tact needs to really pump out the raid heals.

In PvE, Secondary healing just isn't that needed at this level. Most of the time I find myself using Cadenza and dps Codas because no one else other then the tank is taking hits. So again I'd go a more DPS minded route here as well.

Ascendant

Bards are not great healers, especially at low levels. At higher levels, the buffs become awesome in groups over 5 people. I would recommend tact for leveling as it gives you better damage and some healing options as well.
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Uhdana View Post
    True they are aoe. But short of say raid's i personally have issues getting them up before half or more of the mobs are dead. Thats me though. Not to mention i much perfer the healing torrent for when i need it. That thing has saved my group more than once. But then again it really just comes down to preference i guess. I aim more at group health side of support than debuff side.
    You don't need to fire every finisher at 5 combo points. On trash packs that can die within 10 seconds, either don't bother or do a 1 point Cowardice or Distress. If you have 1 combo point built and you can cast before the DPS will engage the pack, just fire off the 1 point debuff finisher.

Combo points only determine the duration of the debuff. This applies to Coda of Jeopardy, Coda of Cowardice and Coda of Distress. What's better; having the mob debuffed and ready for the DPS to hit hard when they first engage or waiting additional GCDs just to fire 5 point finishers where the mobs will die well before the end of the debuff duration.

I can't stress enough that if you only ever do 5 point finishers you are not performing optimally.
    Last edited by Zazen; 06-19-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the info, guys!

This is my current build: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMwctvxouqocq0kvAo

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zazen View Post
    You don't need to fire every finisher at 5 combo points. On trash packs that can die within 10 seconds, either don't bother or do a 1 point Cowardice or Distress. If you have 1 combo point built and you can cast before the DPS will engage the pack, just fire off the 1 point debuff finisher.

Combo points only determine the duration of the debuff. This applies to Coda of Jeopardy, Coda of Cowardice and Coda of Distress. What's better; having the mob debuffed and ready for the DPS to hit hard when they first engage or waiting additional GCDs just to fire 5 point finishers where the mobs will die well before the end of the debuff duration.

I can't stress enough that if you only ever do 5 point finishers you are not performing optimally.
    When i had them i always launched them first at 1 or 2 points then refreshed later if mobs were still up. Thing is there are things that i prioritize before coda's such as motif's and my core's. Like i said by the time i do get to coda's they are pointless for me personally due to how i personally play.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast