+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can you give me some tips for rogue PVP combat?

Rift Disciple

Default Can you give me some tips for rogue PVP combat?

I am leveling rogue and warrior with bigger focus on rogue, so far.
    And I am loving it while I do PVE or dungeons with my BD/tact build. PVP is where I hit a wall.
    I feel worthless in PVP combat. I am usually somewhere in the middle on favor gain at the end, but many times I have a feeling I didn't deserve even that much. And I can't understand what exactly is the reason for that.
    I can identify several of my problems, but how to avoid them is another matter.

1. Many, many of my hits do not land on my target. While I can do PVE almost without glancing my toolbar to see if my CDs are off, or which skill I can use next, PVP misses are so rampant, I have to keep watching my skills as they don't go off when I press them. So that makes it for a lot of repeating the same skill which distracts me from watching the action between me and that other gal/boy who just doesn't want to accept the fact that she/he should just die.

The other reason for my appalling hit count is also this ridiculous circle running. How to counteract this?
    I understand that running in circles is one of the methods of fighting, but it's also so brain-washed I often ask myself why this person is playing the game with so many different skills and combinations when majority of her/his fight revolves around circles?
    I know, it's me. I even stopped PVP-ing in Defiance when bunny-hopping became FOTM and stayed like that. It's gotten me so far that I refuse to fight anyone if they start running in circles. I imagine that must look like the dumbest thing to do, especially if you are the one doing those circles around me, but I simply take off in search of some other, not brain dead player. Before you start spewing molten lava over me ... I understand I am damaging my own score, giving that other person points and lowering the chance for my team to score victory, but I am playing the game for fun. Doing the same motions over and over again is not my idea of fun, sorry to say it.

2. Survivability is ... low. Do I have to take RS soul if I want to be competitive in PVP with my rogue? What to do to improve it? Is it, like I said, souls that I need to have in PVP, skills I need to use or just certain, simple things I haven't become aware of, yet?

Well, in the end it looks like more of a rant, but I would still like to hear from you, oh magnificent community, filled with all sorts of experts.
    Can you give me some tips how to become better in PVP with my rogue?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by symke View Post
    I am leveling rogue and warrior with bigger focus on rogue, so far.
    And I am loving it while I do PVE or dungeons with my BD/tact build. PVP is where I hit a wall.
    I feel worthless in PVP combat. I am usually somewhere in the middle on favor gain at the end, but many times I have a feeling I didn't deserve even that much. And I can't understand what exactly is the reason for that.
    I can identify several of my problems, but how to avoid them is another matter.

1. Many, many of my hits do not land on my target. While I can do PVE almost without glancing my toolbar to see if my CDs are off, or which skill I can use next, PVP misses are so rampant, I have to keep watching my skills as they don't go off when I press them. So that makes it for a lot of repeating the same skill which distracts me from watching the action between me and that other gal/boy who just doesn't want to accept the fact that she/he should just die.

The other reason for my appalling hit count is also this ridiculous circle running. How to counteract this?
    I understand that running in circles is one of the methods of fighting, but it's also so brain-washed I often ask myself why this person is playing the game with so many different skills and combinations when majority of her/his fight revolves around circles?
    I know, it's me. I even stopped PVP-ing in Defiance when bunny-hopping became FOTM and stayed like that. It's gotten me so far that I refuse to fight anyone if they start running in circles. I imagine that must look like the dumbest thing to do, especially if you are the one doing those circles around me, but I simply take off in search of some other, not brain dead player. Before you start spewing molten lava over me ... I understand I am damaging my own score, giving that other person points and lowering the chance for my team to score victory, but I am playing the game for fun. Doing the same motions over and over again is not my idea of fun, sorry to say it.

2. Survivability is ... low. Do I have to take RS soul if I want to be competitive in PVP with my rogue? What to do to improve it? Is it, like I said, souls that I need to have in PVP, skills I need to use or just certain, simple things I haven't become aware of, yet?

Well, in the end it looks like more of a rant, but I would still like to hear from you, oh magnificent community, filled with all sorts of experts.
    Can you give me some tips how to become better in PVP with my rogue?

Thanks
    Since range is what PvP in WF is what it is now, and range MM is about kiting, you're going to be mobile. Maybe we'll have to try running squares. You could do without rs is you can keep max range and run in circles. Knowing the map and tactical positioning. If you're caught solo, stealth.

I'm not an expert, that being said I run support if I feel I'm not contributing.

I've been playing some new low level rogues. When I tried Tact, I looked at my combat log an saw that I was have 0 effect on certain players (suspecting some high level resistance in their spec). So it could be the other player is twinked in his spec.

Have you looked at the pvp portions of the guides? When those authors answer, you'll get a better idea.

+ Reply to Thread