+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sab

Telaran

Default Sab

I was looking for any info/tips/builds/discussion on sab since 2.3 and I've pretty much found squat.

I never took the time to learn Sab back in ID days when it first became more than a 2 button snoozer and now I am completely lost.

If anyone has anything good to add or a link to something I missed please let me know.

From various posts, threads, builds, sites and patch notes, personal thoughts and beliefs...

Sabs still have no true burst nor true sustained, even using the assassin tree to increase the potential damage from Sabs. Besides that, the charges, traps and bombs require A LOT more time to setup. In other words, I could have killed 5 humans with my night dancer while you just start on your first and hope he runs into your mines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggz View Post
    I was looking for any info/tips/builds/discussion on sab since 2.3 and I've pretty much found squat.

I never took the time to learn Sab back in ID days when it first became more than a 2 button snoozer and now I am completely lost.

If anyone has anything good to add or a link to something I missed please let me know.
    the most use I found for sab was 6 points for a pvp build.

Soulwalker

Saboteurs have a LOT of overall AOE damage.

The only problem is that it's like thirty cooldowns to ramp it up.
    [Splinter Bomb, Embers Bomb, Spike Bomb, Set Land Mines, Booby Trap, Cloud Maker, Chemical Bomb, Caltrops x5, Carpet Bombing, Annihilation Bomb, Shrapnel Charge, Anni Bomb, Shrap Charge, Anni Bomb, Caltrops x5, Anni Bomb, Shrap Charge, Frag Bomb, etc etc]

So unless there's a lot of targets that aren't dying quickly, Saboteur AOE damage falls through pretty badly. They just seem to have too many active abilities that step on each others toes.

Telaran

Fair enough. The main reason I was looking into is because the shrap charges blow up for 50+k a pop with anti-planar running on invasions in the ghunts. The single target on the planarch themselves was beyond abysmal the way I was trying to do it, though.

Thanks for the help, I'll just keep leaf blowing my way to victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggz View Post
    Fair enough. The main reason I was looking into is because the shrap charges blow up for 50+k a pop with anti-planar running on invasions in the ghunts. The single target on the planarch themselves was beyond abysmal the way I was trying to do it, though.

Thanks for the help, I'll just keep leaf blowing my way to victory.
    /10charact

Sab actually has much higher burst capability than tactician. The trouble is really the setup time and attention required. But as long as you can build up the first 5 charges before the fight then your initial burst can be really high.

The only trap you should really be using is Immolation Trap and you can just place it under the enemies. Traps don't need to be used like traps unless you plan on kiting mobs.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 06-18-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Dunno if it helps you, but i found sab to be kinda nice in pvp. Macro together the bombs, put carpet bombimb first, folowed by your hardest hitting bomb. Put the charges last. So far I only have 4-5bombs and use spike charge cuz I'm only lvl 26, but the burst is awesome. As a build I am going for 51 in sab and the rest in mm and riftstalker i think, will switch rs to tactician if i ever buy the soul.

Soulwalker

I was also curious about this. Without a doubt Sab is my favorite soul to play, but I am guessing that it just isn't competitive any longer. So sad.

Prophet of Telara

Sab needs a complete redesign. Seems like this soul has pretty much always been underwhelming, except for when using Deadly Dance back in the day...

Rift Disciple

Sab's kind of the poster child for what's kind of off about Rift souls. Only very rarely is a skill ever superseded by a new, better skill. The only ones I can really think of are Bolt of Retribution in Inquisitor and Binary Strike in Bladedancer. If they would let skills die, it seem to me that things would be a tad bit easier to handle.

sab can be fun when you 2-tank the Twins in Frozen Tempest if you already have it on Farm. its definitely keeps up (but never ahead of tact/mm or Nb/sin). I just would not use it if you are progressing on content as there are higher DPS AE specs out there.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

Plane Touched

Sab used to be super fun until they added in time bomb. What is a time bomb? something you put on the target and in 8seconds is blows up.... oh wait the mob died already good game!

The other thing I always disliked very very much about sab was the fact that pressing spike charge 5 times or any charge (turns head to watch 5seconds of tv yes yes) look back and oh wait the mob just died again when I was at 4spike stacks derp. The attention to detail if you like of this spec is so overly high (and not to compete either I might add) that it feels very frustrating.

What is fun about it is pulling 60K dps on a drr or trash in a speed run TDQ, while debuffing the pack of mobs for others and dropping in a silence to some annoying caster mobs so the tank gets a easy time of it. Oh and ninja pulling can be fun with incriminate.

The only way they could make this build fun to play again would be to focus on a way to make the dirrect bombs more reactive (something to reset the cooldowns or something) and less time spent pressing that charge button 5 times (5 seconds of doing nothing but build up charges zzzzzz). The spec is super fun when carpet bomb is ready wtb this full time lol. Oh and delete time bomb not a fan.

i'm guessing you're not a fan of cloud maker either But i do agree, since shrapnel charge is meh and you get more dps out caltrop, the shrapnel and blast passives have no utility whatsoever. Sab looks like soul with lots of possible pathways, but they are not worth taking
    Work in progress....
    Effreti 45 Riftstalker/Bard/MM/Sab - Bloodiron Shard - Guardian
    Theraphist 26 Paragon/Reaver/Warlord/Beastmaster - Bloodiron Shard - Defiant

Ascendant

People think Sab isn't good, then I blow them up in pvp.

Sab like many other souls is good if you know how to play it.

There used to be a good thread out there but I wasn't able to find it. I'll throw my macros up and a rotation explanation. Keep in mind its a pvp build. I don't raid anymore and I certainly don't raid with sab.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast