+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel
  • 1 Post By Dademore

Thread: 50-60. ranged-only help for returning player

Default 50-60. ranged-only help for returning player

Well hi folks, I'm back...miss me? j/k...

Anyway, Sleepwalker's a pretty confused 50 who just fell back into town last night. I ran a single target DPS MM primary, a SabAoEcheeseball (because I had fun with it on bridges), a bard run up to Verse of Joy as a support rogue, and a full temp ranger because sometimes when farming materials I get lazy and want to let Bob tank while I harvest.

Sooooo, now it's about getting to 60. I have decent blades but I prefer to stay at range. And wth is Tactician?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Landru; 06-17-2013 at 09:27 AM.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

Try 61 Marksman.

Tactician is an AoE DPS soul that uses stuff like flamethrowers. (The game calls it a support soul, but it's really not except in extremely specfic circumstances that almost never crop up.) Tactician/Marksman hybrids do incredibly high damage on 2 or more targets, and are used on bosses where you spend most of the fight cleaving.
    Last edited by Muspel; 06-17-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Figured I would add in my 2 cents here to help reinforce what Muspel has already said.

Tactician is a great DPS soul that has the added effect of being able to heal about as good as a bard (some will argue they heal better, i don't really care enough to find out). The rotation is quite easy and the learning curve seems simpler than most of the other rogue DPS builds.

As an example:

My wife just hit level 60 and has only played as a healer in various other MMOs. She has decided to make a DPS only character to compliment my tank as for some odd reason, healers are currently abundant in RIFT. We went through about half a dozen Rogue DPS builds before we found the Tact/MM build and she just fell in love with it. If you are good as positioning, but not very good at managing a bunch of different skills, but still want to be competitive at DPS, I would suggest this build. I was shocked when I took her out to a zone event for the first time and saw the numbers she was pulling.

I don't mean to upset anyone, high end Tact's still require skill, but I just feel the learning curve is a bit less when DPSing as a Tact/MM compared to BDs or MMs.

As a side note, I think Tact/Bard may be one of the best soloing builds I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Dademore; 06-17-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Try 61 Marksman.

Tactician is an AoE DPS soul that uses stuff like flamethrowers. (The game calls it a support soul, but it's really not except in extremely specfic circumstances that almost never crop up.) Tactician/Marksman hybrids do incredibly high damage on 2 or more targets, and are used on bosses where you spend most of the fight cleaving.
    Muspel, thanks. I'm going to be running solo a fair bit (a lot) of my run from 50-60 other than warfronts from time to time. What are your thoughts on Ranger 61 as a solo PVE build these days? (And do you have, perhaps, a link to that nasty-sounding Tact/MM hybrid you mentioned? )

Quote Originally Posted by Dademore View Post
    Figured I would add in my 2 cents here to help reinforce what Muspel has already said.

Tactician is a great DPS soul that has the added effect of being able to heal about as good as a bard (some will argue they heal better, i don't really care enough to find out). The rotation is quite easy and the learning curve seems simpler than most of the other rogue DPS builds.

As an example:

My wife just hit level 60 and has only played as a healer in various other MMOs. She has decided to make a DPS only character to compliment my tank as for some odd reason, healers are currently abundant in RIFT. We went through about half a dozen Rogue DPS builds before we found the Tact/MM build and she just fell in love with it. If you are good as positioning, but not very good at managing a bunch of different skills, but still want to be competitive at DPS, I would suggest this build. I was shocked when I took her out to a zone event for the first time and saw the numbers she was pulling.

I don't mean to upset anyone, high end Tact's still require skill, but I just feel the learning curve is a bit less when DPSing as a Tact/MM compared to BDs or MMs.

As a side note, I think Tact/Bard may be one of the best soloing builds I have ever seen.
    Dade, thank you. I'll look at that hybrid when I find a build...and I'll noodle with Bard/tact as well. What did you drop in as a 3rd soul there and what was the L50 build if you don't mind my asking?
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

Well, I'm on Ember solo'ing with a 51/7/8 Tact/Bard/Rift at the moment and it feels pretty comfortable so far.

I've also got a Ranger/MM/Sin I'm noodling with and still working on a Sab for bridgefarming in WFs...so, I'm feeling my way around again.

Shadowlander

For grinding to 60 I don't think anything beats tactician builds. There's nothing quite like laying the smack down on all enemies in a massive cone at the same time and killing them all pretty much as fast as the best dps builds kills 1 guy. and the survivability is fantastic, especially when specced for it. I have tact/mm for dps in dungeons but my tactician/bard kit is what I use to solo (for buffs and extra survivability and self-healing.) With this build I have no worries taking on 2 rift invasions and a rift foothold all a level or two higher than me all at the same time, and killing everything but the foothold in around 10-12 seconds, tops.

If you don't have the storm legion souls (costs around 20$ depending on previous subscription time) which is how you get tactician, marksman is a fine ranged soul and was my old favorite before. You don't have a pet tank (I summon the level 30 boar anyway. He can't hold aggro but his charge makes the enemy stand still for a second while I kite) but you do have amazing kiting abilities. Kiting can get you into trouble in adventuring areas since you might pull extra guys but you can kite and kill elites with good use of your utility skills (improved static shot, repelling shot, barbed shot) without them ever laying a finger on you.

I had lots of success using full marksman as one of my solo souls while leveling from 50-60. It helps out a lot that there are great survival/self-healing tools so low in some rogue souls. It seems, for the most part, you can pick any rogue dps soul and combine it with 11RS/4Tact or (for those who don't have access to Tactician) 8RS/7Bard and solo fairly well.

Another plus, by going xxMM/11RS/4Tact, you get a decent solo build, dungeon dps build, and pvp build all with one role slot.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread