+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel
  • 1 Post By Muspel

Thread: Some help for a newbie

Default Some help for a newbie

so hi guys i've decided to play rogue.i have questions though.1stly i dont know what to decide at character creation for rogue.i mean like shadow stalker,bard?cause i ve made 3 rogues but none of the 3 souls combo managed to be likely to me.
    also any guide for solo lvling?i want good dps with a combination of minor heals and maybe buffs to help me increase my solo exp.so what souls should i pick?
    thank you and sorry for silly questions but i'm new to rift and have no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenoir View Post
    so hi guys i've decided to play rogue.i have questions though.1stly i dont know what to decide at character creation for rogue.i mean like shadow stalker,bard?cause i ve made 3 rogues but none of the 3 souls combo managed to be likely to me.
    Don't worry about the Path choice at character creation-- you can change it as often as you like by talking your trainer in-game, or you can build your own spec rather than using one of the prebuilt Path specs.

also any guide for solo lvling?i want good dps with a combination of minor heals and maybe buffs to help me increase my solo exp.so what souls should i pick?
    Unfortunately, as a free player, you don't have access to the Tactician soul, which means you can't get Curative Engine, a buff that heals you a bit every time you take damage. If you want to buy the Storm Legion soul pack in the store, you can unlock it.

If not, then leveling becomes more challenging. First off, you should put 8 points into Riftstalker for Boosted Recovery, which will heal you every time you kill an enemy. After that, start putting points into one of the DPS souls. Which one doesn't matter a whole lot at low levels, so I'd recommend that you experiment to see which ones you enjoy.

ty very much.
    i would pick tactitian for sure if i had storm legion.
    a combination of blade dancer,nightblade and bard is bad or not?
    seems good to me but i know nothing

Welcome to Rift and Good Hunting...
    Starting out seems daunting, there are some great guides. As you'll find out if not already, many of the classes have multiple roles. Each class has their strong points.

There are times like in group roles you'll want a dps... you'll have to decide whether that will be range or dps. Ranger/Marksman/and Tactician are Range. Bard is a support role, handing out damage, healing and buffs. The larger the group ie, Raids buffs are wanted. Not so much in dungeon, 5 man. Riftstalker being your tank has teleporting survival. There's the niche Sab, which has AoE, it requires build up of charges, then boom! Assassin is more like the classic rogue, stealth, great burst from stealth but is a one v one role. Leaves you with Blade Dancer and Night Stalker, Blade Dancing is better at higher levels...

These days... if you want solo, you'll have 4 Tact for healing/ RS for survival and the rest you're choice. Most have been Night Stalker/ Blade Dancer. There are some old builds that are still viable...

Best bet is to head over the Rogue Guide section. There are players much more qualified than I who have posted some great guides which I use.

After awhile you'll probably have more than a few builds to try out.

ty very much.
    i would pick tactitian for sure if i had storm legion.
    a combination of blade dancer,nightblade and bard is bad or not?
    seems good to me but i know nothing
    For soloing, you really want 8 points in Riftstalker, particularly since you don't have access to Tactician (and even if you did, you'd want both).

Bladedancer is focused on physical damage, and Nightblade is focused on elemental damage. Because of this, they don't work well together. And Bard has very low damage, so I'd steer clear of it for soloing.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    For soloing, you really want 8 points in Riftstalker, particularly since you don't have access to Tactician (and even if you did, you'd want both).

Bladedancer is focused on physical damage, and Nightblade is focused on elemental damage. Because of this, they don't work well together. And Bard has very low damage, so I'd steer clear of it for soloing.
    so in order to pick bladedancer role i must have 30g first so i can unlock it right?
    i will follow your BD guide .where can i spend the rest points since i dont have tactitian?

so in order to pick bladedancer role i must have 30g first so i can unlock it right?
    No, you can just respec your current role to it.

i will follow your BD guide .where can i spend the rest points since i dont have tactitian?
    My bladedancer guide won't do you much good until level 50 or so.

No, you can just respec your current role to it.

My bladedancer guide won't do you much good until level 50 or so.
    respec?what do you mean?cause i found trainer but only said new soul and erase soul points..
    so what do you suggest for lvling?

respec?what do you mean?cause i found trainer but only said new soul and erase soul points..
    Erasing your soul points is a respec. It takes any points you've spent and returns them to you, so that you can spend them differently.
    so what do you suggest for lvling?
    I'm actually not really sure. Nobody has really experimented to find the most effective leveling spec that doesn't use Tactician, because it never really mattered before last wednesday.

Filling out Ranger after you put 8 points into Riftstalker might be good, but again, I haven't tried leveling a rogue with that spec, so I could be wrong.

Erasing your soul points is a respec. It takes any points you've spent and returns them to you, so that you can spend them differently.

I'm actually not really sure. Nobody has really experimented to find the most effective leveling spec that doesn't use Tactician, because it never really mattered before last wednesday.

Filling out Ranger after you put 8 points into Riftstalker might be good, but again, I haven't tried leveling a rogue with that spec, so I could be wrong.
    hmm i found out how to respec but still can't use a combination of Bd RS and Ranger.can't i make a custom soul tree?

hmm i found out how to respec but still can't use a combination of Bd RS and Ranger.can't i make a custom soul tree?
    Yes. On the screen where it asks you which premade spec you want (Huntsman, Planar Sentry, etc.), click on the "close" button right next to the "select" button. This will allow you to spend your talents however you want.

cewl i found it.well since i dont have tactitian spending 8 points on bard soul tree for self heal would be bad?
    the other trees would be bladedancer and riftstalker probably...

also ty very much for always answering to my silly questions...
    Last edited by Jenoir; 06-17-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Bard's self-healing is pretty bad unless you're using it as a main soul, so don't use 8 Bard. Cadence will gut your damage.

im too new to this i dont know what spec to choose.u told me bd guide is for 50lvl and higher.
    what can i choose for now as a main spec for good leveling?nightblade seems nice for melee
    also saboteur for range..no idea what to pick though....

Here's a spec I used before I had SL. It should still be pretty solid, but I'm sure Muspel can provide some critiques for you. The healing from Leeching Poison in Assassin doesn't full make up for the loss of Curative Engine, but it does help keep you alive a bit longer.

I'd go for this:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t8g/x/y

Then go for this:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t8g/x/ykgw

Then go for this:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#tr2aa/x/ykgw

And flesh out Bladedancer to end with this:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#t...dB5liGn88/ykgw

+ Reply to Thread