+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Please make Decoy resistant to AoE

Default Please make Decoy resistant to AoE

On any encounter with constant AoE damage, Marksman's Decoy dies almost instantly, which reduces our DPS quite a bit.

The best example of this is Kyzan, the second boss in Grim Awakening. My decoys tended to only live three or four seconds before getting one-shotted by one mechanic or another, and there was no spot or time that I could use it to keep it alive longer.

Telaran

Just remove this ability.
    Many people already stated why it should be done: it is not so cool for a 41 ability (so much that it even was outweighted by 1 point of Steady hand in the era of 40MM/36RNG), there already is a ranged pet soul and it shrinkens the diversity even more.
    I also wonder why a marksman would call for an ally which is not even an illusion to draw attention of the foes (that is what one may judge from the name of the skill), especially so stupid and bad looking one.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrsquir View Post
    I also wonder why a marksman would call for an ally which is not even an illusion to draw attention of the foes (that is what one may judge from the name of the skill), especially so stupid and bad looking one.
    This x1000

I'm so tired of summoning Decoy just to hear him have an 0rgasm and fall on the floor 5 sec later.
    Last edited by Appendy; 06-14-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    On any encounter with constant AoE damage, Marksman's Decoy dies almost instantly, which reduces our DPS quite a bit.

The best example of this is Kyzan, the second boss in Grim Awakening. My decoys tended to only live three or four seconds before getting one-shotted by one mechanic or another, and there was no spot or time that I could use it to keep it alive longer.
    This^

I personally think the Decoy should be removed and the dps it provides be added to MM alone. But since that may not happen, at least give it resistance to aoe, and remove the damn sound it makes when it dies.
    Rompalstomp - Raid Lead / Warrior Lead "Nefarious"

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5
    Rift Team

Decoys are not pets. They are baits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailion View Post
    This bait is being devoured a little too early!

That does raise some questions. Namely:
    • Do they effectively perform their purpose as "bait" at all?
    • If they did, would I (or my raid's tank) really want them to?
    • Why is 5% of my DPS tied up in something that apparently isn't designed to DPS, or at least DPS consistently?

Right now, for better or worse, part of MM's rotation is managing Decoy's survival. And it's mostly worse, since the level of control is pretty poor.

I've done Progenitor while avoiding every Defile, switching as appropriate, and using Decoy nearly off CD in a manner such that it never died, never got hit by Defile, and also always hit the right target. Let me tell you: that's kind of a giant pain. Yet doing that is a noticeable part of the spec's DPS.

And come a boss like the 2nd of GA, and... Using the thing and watching it die repeatedly, or somehow trying to maintain its DPS through positioning seem like one of the poorest aspects of any rotation we have.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this sentiment.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Zazen View Post
    This bait is being devoured a little too early!
    Decoys are great against pvp tab targeters.

Decoys are great against pvp tab targeters.
    I wish the name "Decoy" weren't taken so that I could rename my character to that. I would never die.

On a more serious note, though, Decoy does over 20k damage per use. Between the 42-second cooldown and Quick Reload, it accounts for over 500 DPS. That's pretty significant, and I'd argue it's too significant for it to not work on so many encounters.
    Last edited by Muspel; 06-14-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    On a more serious note, though, Decoy does over 20k damage per use. Between the 42-second cooldown and Quick Reload, it accounts for over 500 DPS. That's pretty significant, and I'd argue it's too significant for it to not work on so many encounters.
    I think you're selling Decoy short there. From a Prog parse, which was before the cooldown was halved:

Code:
    Summon/Ability  |  Dam   | Deeps
    ________________|________|_______
      1             | 34,657 |  107
        Hasted Shot	| 14,012 |  
        Swift Shot	| 20,645 |  
      2             | 23,107 |  71
        Hasted Shot |  6,380 |     
        Swift Shot  | 16,727 |     
      3             | 45,717 |  141
        Hasted Shot | 15,117 |     
        Swift Shot  | 30,600 |     
      4             | 34,232 |  106
        Hasted Shot |  8,804 |     
        Swift Shot  | 25,428 |     
      5             | 27,072 |  84
        Hasted Shot |  3,209 |     
        Swift Shot  | 23,863 |     
    Grand Total     |164,785 |  509
    And that's with shamefully not doubling up on the summon with the first Quick Reload. Did make sure that the Decoy was up for Flaring Power, but didn't get every summon into a Lava Field. Also, the last summon was clipped by the death of the mob. With the shorter CD, I'd now go as far to make sure to pre-pop it while the bard is doing Fanfares/Motifs so it has those buffs when resummoned.

Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    I think you're selling Decoy short there.
    Yeah, definitely. I was too lazy to hop on the PTS and test it with raid buffs, so I just threw it up self-buffed and it did 22k damage.[/QUOTE]

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    I think you're selling Decoy short there. From a Prog parse, which was before the cooldown was halved:

And that's with shamefully not doubling up on the summon with the first Quick Reload. Did make sure that the Decoy was up for Flaring Power, but didn't get every summon into a Lava Field. Also, the last summon was clipped by the death of the mob. With the shorter CD, I'd now go as far to make sure to pre-pop it while the bard is doing Fanfares/Motifs so it has those buffs when resummoned.
    Sounds like a lot of management. I think you should go play a Ranger. They have real pets. =)
    On a side note, the Blood Raptor is going to get a new skin soon.

Sounds like a lot of management. I think you should go play a Ranger. They have real pets. =)
    Make it an Infernal strider

Make it a Feast of Domination on legs.

RIFT Guide Writer

Funny thing is that Salvarola kills the real pet while Decoy stays alive in that fight. It's like a coin toss to guess which of the two pets decides to work in each fight, or if both or neither one works.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast