+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Are Bards any good now?

Default Are Bards any good now?

Coming back to the game after a year or so hiatus. I always loved speed and support classes and Bard was the first thing I made when Rift started and loved it. But after a while they showed to be lackluster and unwanted in most content. Just curious if they are worth using again or if they still suck?

well with the introduction of the tactican soul, you were definitely given some more options to pair with bard.

So I guess if it still sucks is a matter of personal opinion. Try it out and see for yourself.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

Bards have pretty much always been worth using. Just not in dungeons.
    Last edited by Muspel; 06-13-2013 at 06:31 AM.

So they still aren't worth taking in dungeons? That's unfortunate. I always liked him in pvp but would never see anyone asking for a bard for pve. But like I said I've been away for a while so might just try it out anyway. And don't think the tactician soul was around last I played either.

Also, did they nerf the run speed? Saw it was only 15% buff now but swear it used to be a lot more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Keypek View Post
    So they still aren't worth taking in dungeons? That's unfortunate. I always liked him in pvp but would never see anyone asking for a bard for pve.
    Bards are vital in PvE-- specifically, in raids.

Also, did they nerf the run speed? Saw it was only 15% buff now but swear it used to be a lot more than that.
    Pretty sure it was always 15%.

RIFT Guide Writer

So they still aren't worth taking in dungeons? That's unfortunate. I always liked him in pvp but would never see anyone asking for a bard for pve.
    You must be in a different timezone then as I've seen "TDQ, lf1M, must be bard" a couple of times in the last few days.

Dungeons are a different thing entirely. It's not that bards are bad, it's that support is unnecessary unless your healer or tank are very badly geared or very badly played.

It's generally better to just get an extra DPS and burn stuff down faster.
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

Quote Originally Posted by ewarwoo View Post
    You must be in a different timezone then as I've seen "TDQ, lf1M, must be bard" a couple of times in the last few days.

Dungeons are a different thing entirely. It's not that bards are bad, it's that support is unnecessary unless your healer or tank are very badly geared or very badly played.

Well I'm talking from two years ago but I may be mistaken. Just seemed like bards weren't in high demand back then. But sounds like it'd be worth leveling.

thanks all.

Telaran

Default The issue with bards...

The real issue with bards is that their benefit is linear based on the number of people in the group. Their individual performance is lackluster and their buffs increase the performance of everyone in the group by 5-10%.

For 5 man dungeons, bards are only necessary as a support heal in the rare instance where the dedicated healer can't keep up. The 5-10% improvement doesn't offset the bard's otherwise poor performance.

However, in 10 man raids, it is very rare to run without bard and often another support class as well; the benefit of bringing a bard along just doubled and more than offsets the poor single performance.

I don't know of any 20 man raids that don't consistently run a bard in the group. It is not at all uncommon to see a bard contribute 20-30K of the raid's dps. It won't ever show up on a dps meter because you are making everyone else do a better job.

So the trick to barding is to know the spec...be able to do it where it is appropriate. But you can't rely on it as your standard spec.

RIFT Guide Writer

And just to add, most people don't like playing bard, so if you're one of the chosen few who enjoy it and play it well it's not too often in raids you'll be forced to DPS
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

I see. Well thanks for the info all. Will try her out.

Quote Originally Posted by ewarwoo View Post

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Wont be playing my Rogue then. Cleric it is.

The worst part of having the rogue to actually main a bard is the fact that bards only raid. I dont like dps roles, especially rogue dps (twitch play) but I love to run 5 mans. I mean like, I will literaly spend an entire day off doing nothing but runnign 5 mans. I love them.

This was ultimately my reason for leaving the first time. If they still havent fixed the role for bards in 5 mans, I doubt I will stick around for long. Owell. Wont be missed anyway lol, So many love this game, wish they could've given me the role I love too and made it viable for the content I love.
    Last edited by Efaicia; 06-13-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Efaicia View Post
    This is exactly what I needed to hear. Wont be playing my Rogue then. Cleric it is.

The worst part of having the rogue to actually main a bard is the fact that bards only raid. I dont like dps roles, especially rogue dps (twitch play) but I love to run 5 mans. I mean like, I will literaly spend an entire day off doing nothing but runnign 5 mans. I love them.

This was ultimately my reason for leaving the first time. If they still havent fixed the role for bards in 5 mans, I doubt I will stick around for long. Owell. Wont be missed anyway lol, So many love this game, wish they could've given me the role I love too and made it viable for the content I love.
    When SL first dropped you actually had to run a legit healer and support which made it pretty fun as i don't mind playing bard. But like anything else, you can out gear the content now, though i bet they release Master Mode for a few of the dungeons like they did in the old world. Just a hope i guess.

Plane Walker

Why not try playing other Rogue builds? Switch to the best build for the job when the situation warrants it.
    Last edited by Neykho; 06-14-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Pretty sure it was always 15%.
    It was always 15% base, but Street Performer used to increase the effect of your anthems by 30%, which brought it to 20% run speed.

Well, bards can DPS and especially in maxed out 5-man gear, you will be keeping everyone else behind you in the meters, unless they out-gear the content.

The beauty of the Bard is the instant change of playstyle if needed. It takes 1 second to swap from DPS to healing and save the day. If healing isn't needed, you work with the DPS by debuffing and doing your own maximum output. If suddenly healing is needed, you swap channels and/or spam your instant ST heals on people who need it.

Just because dungeons weren't built around 1 playstyle of the bard, it doesn't mean that a skilled bard wouldn't be as valuable, maybe even more, than any other person in the queue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast