+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sancin

Thread: New Specs?

Default New Specs?

Oh my. Where to start? This game has always been a hard one to return to as there are SO Many possibilities, and so FW really useful ones.

I left the game before because my preferred role of "Support" was literally spat on by Rift devs, bard was laughable and only good for Cadence spam and (arguably) VoJ.

So, here I am ..logged into my Bard (OK rogue wtf ever I don't like DPS or tank roles, I play heal and support) And I am wondering if any of my old specs are still viable or if I should forget them and just spam a dummy to figure out a good one. (really dont want to do that, i mean, who wants to log into a game and spend the first week re-learning a class that has been completely changed?) Guides are OK, I will look to them for advice, but i don't like living by them.

Every Pre-SL guides/specs for rogues are obsolete, even for the specs that pretty much play the same (Riftstalker and bard). If you really like to bard, you can easilly figure it out though.

Guide in my sig for bard. It changed a lot in SL but not much since then. You can also do a Tactician/Bard hybrid for better healing, but that is only worth using in niche cases -- essentially, if you don't have enough cleric or mage healers, or in 5 mans. 61 bard does more DPS and is a significant boost to raid DPS and effectiveness over the hybrid.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 06-13-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Rift Chaser

what about 61 ranger with macros?

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant View Post
    If someone else got the utilities covered, you'd be a fool not to run this as RDPS.

That buff was nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironic View Post
    Every Pre-SL guides/specs for rogues are obsolete, even for the specs that pretty much play the same (Riftstalker and bard). If you really like to bard, you can easilly figure it out though.
    Great to know, thank you! and *sigh* so it begins >.<
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Guide in my sig for bard. It changed a lot in SL but not much since then. You can also do a Tactician/Bard hybrid for better healing, but that is only worth using in niche cases -- essentially, if you don't have enough cleric or mage healers, or in 5 mans. 61 bard does more DPS and is a significant boost to raid DPS and effectiveness over the hybrid.
    I left the first time jsut before tactician was released, I think I will give this hybrid a shot. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant View Post
    *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Efaicia View Post
    I left the first time jsut before tactician was released, I think I will give this hybrid a shot. Thank you!
    I just want to take a moment to emphasize that the Tactician/Bard hybrid is highly specialized for situations that simply don't happen in practice. The term I like use is "a solution in search of problem".

It's great at what it does, but what it does isn't needed anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I just want to take a moment to emphasize that the Tactician/Bard hybrid is highly specialized for situations that simply don't happen in practice. The term I like use is "a solution in search of problem".

It's great at what it does, but what it does isn't needed anywhere.
    I caught that lol, thanks for re-iterating ;P

Anyway, in another "Returning Bard" thread I saw info which really pushed me into the decision I made.

Doubt I will stick around. But it was nice saying hi to everyone again!
    Need someone to keep on them about making support viable in 5 man content!
    At any rate, it is not a battle I have the energy for anymore, So will continue to wait for the games I have high hopes for.
    Last edited by Efaicia; 06-13-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Ascendant

Fair enough that's entirely your choice.

But just to point out here Support is doable in 5 mans if you really want to, it's just hardly ever necessary (well there's one or two expert bosses I can see low geared tanks and healers maybe using the extra help).

Unlike pre SL Bards actually do a a bit of personal DPS; enough that it's actually worth mentioning. It's also a lot more engaging to play than before, in my personal opinion at least (or at least barding doesn't feel like a punishment for some imagined slight anymore!).
    Last edited by Kedon; 06-13-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Efaicia View Post
    I caught that lol, thanks for re-iterating ;P

Anyway, in another "Returning Bard" thread I saw info which really pushed me into the decision I made.

Doubt I will stick around. But it was nice saying hi to everyone again!
    Need someone to keep on them about making support viable in 5 man content!
    At any rate, it is not a battle I have the energy for anymore, So will continue to wait for the games I have high hopes for.
    Good luck with that games seem to be moving away from specilized roles for each class and more toward a solo with friends atmosphrere. Real MMOs are fast becoming obsolete and what you end up with is a diablo style classes where everybody solos together.

I say this because the first roles to go are support. After that tanks and healing start being regulated to secondary options rather then required. Support is already on lifesupport for most games and i don't see any games in the future rescuing it.

In my opnion its sad to see grouping in mmos becoming optional. There are enough solo games out there i'm not sure why people want to turn a group/raid based gaming style into a single player game. The group style play thats so fun and challanging; working together in concert with others is fast becoming extinct and with it go all the roles that have specilized niches.

Quote Originally Posted by sancin View Post
    Good luck with that games seem to be moving away from specilized roles for each class and more toward a solo with friends atmosphrere. Real MMOs are fast becoming obsolete and what you end up with is a diablo style classes where everybody solos together.

I say this because the first roles to go are support. After that tanks and healing start being regulated to secondary options rather then required. Support is already on lifesupport for most games and i don't see any games in the future rescuing it.

In my opinion its sad to see grouping in mmos becoming optional. There are enough solo games out there i'm not sure why people want to turn a group/raid based gaming style into a single player game. The group style play thats so fun and challanging; working together in concert with others is fast becoming extinct and with it go all the roles that have specilized niches.
    You and I are of the same mind on this.
    Maybe one day we will be lucky enough to see the gaming community come out of the age of the narcissist and head back toward co-dependancy =X ....LOL (I'm an ***, I know)

But seriously, specialized roles, and being allowed to excel greatly in said role without hurt feelings from others saying "Why can't I do that!?" And "It's not fair" *stomps feet* Was what I loved about gaming. Being known as that fantastic Bard and Cleric player and having it MEAN something (in a gaming sense, not in RL here lol) instead of a facemash healer and a support that doesn't matter in all but the end game raiding. That's just boring to me. *shrug*

I have hopes for future games, nothing I'm tying myself to at the moment, but we'll see. I guess I will continue my Skyrim adventures. While working 12 hr shifts 6 days a week (because, what the hell, nothing better to do) to get my families finances ahead. Dammit why didn't I marry a rich man?

Owell Adios, (again) see you al lon the flip side ^_^ <3

+ Reply to Thread