+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do Torrents Benefit from Marksman Passives?

Soulwalker

Default Do Torrents Benefit from Marksman Passives?

I've googled and googled and even tried testing on practice dummies, but I just can find a definitive answer due to variance in the dps numbers on the dummies.

I'd like to know if the following marksman talents improve tactician torrents:

1. Penetrating Shots: Tier 3
    2. Collateral Damage: Tier 6
    3. Controlled Fire: Tier 7

Now I don't want ridiculous, speculative answers like "oh well it says 'ranged weapon abilities' and torrents require a range weapon so it must work derp derp" because it's not that simple. For example, Keen Eye (Tier 1) doesn't work with torrents. Why would the others?

They work.

Keen Eye's range increase doesn't work with Torrents because technically, they have an area of effect rather than a range.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyra View Post
    I've googled and googled and even tried testing on practice dummies, but I just can find a definitive answer due to variance in the dps numbers on the dummies.

I'd like to know if the following marksman talents improve tactician torrents:

1. Penetrating Shots: Tier 3
    2. Collateral Damage: Tier 6
    3. Controlled Fire: Tier 7

Now I don't want ridiculous, speculative answers like "oh well it says 'ranged weapon abilities' and torrents require a range weapon so it must work derp derp" because it's not that simple. For example, Keen Eye (Tier 1) doesn't work with torrents. Why would the others?
    Keen Eye doesn't work with torrents because torrents don't have a range and you can increase something that doesn't exist.

The rest you can test it yourself.

Here for Collateral Damage:
    Build A
    Build B
    Build A - Infernal Torrent damage: 14437-15956
    Build B - Infernal Torrent damage: 13788-15239

If you want to test Penetrating Shots use this and this and go spam Necrotic Torrent (only that, nothing else) on the dummy and compare the result between the 2 builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Akizuki View Post
    Keen Eye doesn't work with torrents because torrents don't have a range and you can increase something that doesn't exist.
    orly...
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    orly...
    Yesrly

http://i43.tinypic.com/2q2p8jp.jpg

(Stop trolling, you already know how "range" work in this game. )

An ability that does not require a target, by definition does not have a range. It just won't hit stuff that isn't in its area of effect.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 06-03-2013 at 10:39 AM.

It doesn't have a "range," as far as range being defined as a variable in skill calculations, sure.

But my torrents stops hitting things once I move to 31m away from said things~

I'm pretty sure that means the range of my torrents is 30m!

mrm... nevermind. This nit isn't fun to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    It doesn't have a "range," as far as range being defined as a variable in skill calculations, sure.

But my torrents stops hitting things once I move to 31m away from said things~

I'm pretty sure that means the range of my torrents is 30m!

mrm... nevermind. This nit isn't fun to pick.
    Range has an in-game definition. Under that definition, torrents do not have a range, they have an area of effect with a certain width and length.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Range has an in-game definition. Under that definition, torrents do not have a range, they have an area of effect with a certain width and length.
    Yes, thank you very much for rephrasing what I said in the first sentence of the post you quoted.

+ Reply to Thread