+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What are the top specs for Rogue for pvp and pve right now?

Rift Disciple

Default What are the top specs for Rogue for pvp and pve right now?

I haven't played in 2 years. Lvl 52 currently. For pvp I use MM/Assn/RS, same spec I used 2 years ago, I seem to do allright with it. Is there anything better out there?

What is best for pve right now? Both for tanking and dps?

Quote Originally Posted by DaCactus View Post
    I haven't played in 2 years. Lvl 52 currently. For pvp I use MM/Assn/RS, same spec I used 2 years ago, I seem to do allright with it. Is there anything better out there?
    61 Marksman. The subsouls are up to you-- there's a lot of different options that offer different things.

What is best for pve right now? Both for tanking and dps?
    For tanking, check the guide in my signature.

For DPS, it depends on the fight. 61 Marksman is the most versatile spec-- there isn't a single encounter that it's awful at. But there are also plenty where it's not the best, and you should run different specs on those bosses. NB/Sin, Tactman, and 61 Marksman are what I'd consider the bare minimum for endgame PvE.

61 Assassin and 61 Ranger are also really good at what they do, but what they do isn't needed very often, so you don't necessarily have to carry them around.

Rift Disciple

what are the best munitions to use right now

what are the best munitions to use right now
    Silver Tip and Static Shock.

In rare cases, you may want to use Vampiric Munitions instead of Silver Tip for PvP. Mainly if your team does not have anywhere near enough healers, and the targets you focus are getting bombed with major heals.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    61 Marksman. The subsouls are up to you-- there's a lot of different options that offer different things.
    61MM is bad. Put any 61MM in the game against me in 40/36 and I guarantee you I **** their damage and kills. It is not uncommon for me in a WF to end up with 2 to 3 times the damage of an equally geared 61MM. I played 61MM for a long time but was finally convinced by others that it simply wasn't optimal. They were right. Hopefully none of the 61MM's will read this (I want them to keep playing it and then asking me why I do so much more damage than them).

So to answer the OP's question -- 40mm/36Rng is the best overall ST damage spec rogues have in PvP. If you really need eradicate, then you can change it up to 44/32, though you will lose some damage (but it is still better than 61MM).

If you want melee, 61 sin is the best. If you want decent (but not that good) damage plus a lot of survival, then NB/RS is still good for that. But neither will be as good as our ranged specs. It's just the state of Rift right now.

As for PvE -- I don't care. You're own your own there.
    Last edited by AceinHole; 06-05-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    61MM is bad. Put any 61MM in the game against me in 40/36 and I guarantee you I **** their damage and kills. It is not uncommon for me in a WF to end up with 2 to 3 times the damage of an equally geared 61MM. I played 61MM for a long time but was finally convinced by others that it simply wasn't optimal. They were right. Hopefully none of the 61MM's will read this (I want them to keep playing it and then asking me why I do so much more damage than them).
    *sigh*

This is because 61MM is not used or intended to do maximum DPS in warfronts. If you're focusing on DPS to the exclusion of everything else as Marksman, then you're doing it wrong. It does good damage, but the utility is the real reason that it's such a powerful build. Comparing the two specs solely based on damage output is like comparing Chloro and Defiler based on ST HPS-- you can do it, but it doesn't tell you anything about which one is better.
    Last edited by Muspel; 06-05-2013 at 06:00 PM.

I wish people would actually prove these statements through video because this is like the 20th thread I've read now with people arguing between each MM spec. While I don't doubt either specs effectiveness, all you guys do is talk but prove nothing, especially as to HOW it's played versus how it looks on paper.

I've seen some specific 61MM videos and this particular person owns everyone. Then again, he was nearly never focused and typically had a constant stream of heals, therefore the legitimacy of the spec is hard to picture in this case. Also he does well with 61assasssin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucieus View Post
    I wish people would actually prove these statements through video because this is like the 20th thread I've read now with people arguing between each MM spec. While I don't doubt either specs effectiveness, all you guys do is talk but prove nothing, especially as to HOW it's played versus how it looks on paper.

I've seen some specific 61MM videos and this particular person owns everyone. Then again, he was nearly never focused and typically had a constant stream of heals, therefore the legitimacy of the spec is hard to picture in this case. Also he does well with 61assasssin as well.
    Well that's the thing. There are no real pvp videos posted by rogues. I'm not talking about some silly music video or montage with random clips of decent play, I mean full length videos of actual gameplay and commentary like the ones spaceboots and kaspurtz posts.

Honestly they both do fine, 61 mm and the hybrid. It depends on your team and what they need the most, more often than not being able to contribute with a purge is game changing in pug groups.

Top pvp/pve spec? Assassin for me, I have the most fun playing it.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

Instead of reasoning and explanations, you want anecdotal evidence?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data". Videos prove nothing other than that the fact that the other team didn't play as well as yours.

Yes.

How is it any different if I ran these specs in a WF? Explanations or not, video evidence at least suggests how well each spec can perform whether winning or losing.

Yes.

How is it any different if I ran these specs in a WF? Explanations or not, video evidence at least suggests how well each spec can perform whether winning or losing.
    No, it doesn't, because Warfront performance is heavily dependent on the other team's competency (or lack thereof). I could put together a video of me wrecking an entire team with some kind of unholy abomination of a spec like Sabstalker, but it's not the kind of thing you can do against anyone with two brain cells to rub together.

If you've ever read any of Bishopx's posts, this is why people don't listen to him. He takes a video of him winning a warfront and tries to use it as evidence that he and his spec are awesome.

Shadowlander

Watch My Videos. My Channel Is Rmat On YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Delmlord View Post
    Well that's the thing. There are no real pvp videos posted by rogues. I'm not talking about some silly music video or montage with random clips of decent play, I mean full length videos of actual gameplay and commentary like the ones spaceboots and kaspurtz posts.

Honestly they both do fine, 61 mm and the hybrid. It depends on your team and what they need the most, more often than not being able to contribute with a purge is game changing in pug groups.

Top pvp/pve spec? Assassin for me, I have the most fun playing it.

61 MM is still a great pvp spec for warfronts, it's utility is what makes it shine, along with its more than capable burst and sustained damage. Anyone that disagrees is being disengenuous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RMAT View Post
    Watch My Videos. My Channel Is Rmat On YouTube
    They're nice didn't even realize there there are rogues who upload gameplay haha. You should keep your videos up to date and advertise a bit so that new players can check it out and maybe add some commentary so that people know what's going on. Nice vids though.
    Last edited by Delmlord; 06-06-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Delmlord View Post
    They're nice didn't even realize there there are rogues who upload gameplay haha. You should keep your videos up to date and advertise a bit so that new players can check it out and maybe add some commentary so that people know what's going on. Nice vids though.
    Thanks!

My latest was 4 days ago and they do have commentary

http://www.youtube.com/user/rmat?feature=watch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast