+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel

Thread: Ranger based soul builds

Soulwalker

Default Ranger based soul builds

I've only been playing a short while. I've been researching various builds but with the way that MMO's change (almost day to day) it is hard to see what is viable still.

I am looking for a ranger based (I love the ranger and its pets) soul build. I 'think' I would like a ranger base with a dash of utility/buff for dps/def, etc.

Just for referrence, I've played all the standard MMO's and am an OLD school D&D player from the D&D and AD&D days back in the 70's. (I know, showing my age).

Thank you for any assistance rendered.

What is this build for? Soloing? Dungeons? Raids? PvP?

You'll want different talents for each one-- there is no "one-size-fits-all".

Soulwalker

Mostly solo PvE. I may be grouping with the wife if she can nail down what she wants to play. I will not be raiding anytime soon and definitely no PvP.

For interim it will be solo.
    Last edited by KerrMD; 06-01-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Rift Disciple

The pre-fab Huntsman calling seems to be pretty decent at solo as long as your pig stays alive.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrMD View Post
    Mostly solo PvE. I may be grouping with the wife if she can nail down what she wants to play. I will not be raiding anytime soon and definitely no PvP.

For interim it will be solo.
    First off, a disclaimer: Ranger is not a good solo build. The pet has issues handling more than one mob at a time, it's not particularly durable, and your DPS is fairly low, which makes soloing fairly slow. You may want to take a look at some other solo specs, which you can find in the Rogue Guides forum-- those soloing builds can gather up and AoE down 4+ mobs in the time it takes Ranger to kill one or two.

If you're dead-set on using Ranger, though, max out Ranger, put 4 points into Tactician, and anything left over into Riftstalker. This gets you all of the pet-based cooldowns and stuff that Ranger needs, as well as Curative Engine and Boosted Recovery so that you can survive a bit of damage if/when something gets by your pet.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    First off, a disclaimer: Ranger is not a good solo build. The pet has issues handling more than one mob at a time, it's not particularly durable, and your DPS is fairly low, which makes soloing fairly slow. You may want to take a look at some other solo specs, which you can find in the Rogue Guides forum-- those soloing builds can gather up and AoE down 4+ mobs in the time it takes Ranger to kill one or two.

If you're dead-set on using Ranger, though, max out Ranger, put 4 points into Tactician, and anything left over into Riftstalker. This gets you all of the pet-based cooldowns and stuff that Ranger needs, as well as Curative Engine and Boosted Recovery so that you can survive a bit of damage if/when something gets by your pet.
    Alright, this may be the wrong place to ask but the post is here already. Would something more "druidic" be advisable? When I say druid, I am referring to the D&D style druid and not WoW. Although they do have their similarities.

Ascendant

Alright, this may be the wrong place to ask but the post is here already. Would something more "druidic" be advisable? When I say druid, I am referring to the D&D style druid and not WoW. Although they do have their similarities.
    Druid is a melee class with a tank/healing pet. Its a good solo class, especially when getting 2 puri for a nice strong shield.
    \

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    Druid is a melee class with a tank/healing pet. Its a good solo class, especially when getting 2 puri for a nice strong shield.
    2 puri? I was fine till that point and you lost me.

D&D druid is way too broad of a term, considering how many different ways there are to play the class.

Are you talking about the Druid soul that clerics have in Rift?

Soulwalker

D&D druid is way too broad of a term, considering how many different ways there are to play the class.

Are you talking about the Druid soul that clerics have in Rift?
    I took a cursory look at druid souls but did not delve too deeply. I think that I am just going to have to figure this the old fashioned way. Play them. The old method of throwing them against the wall to see what sticks.

Thanks a ton for the input. It was still valuable.

I took a cursory look at druid souls but did not delve too deeply. I think that I am just going to have to figure this the old fashioned way. Play them. The old method of throwing them against the wall to see what sticks.

Thanks a ton for the input. It was still valuable.
    If you're looking for a leveling spec that uses a pet, Druid is indeed your best bet. Check the cleric guides forum for some builds.

Soulwalker

If you're looking for a leveling spec that uses a pet, Druid is indeed your best bet. Check the cleric guides forum for some builds.
    Funny you should say that. I ended up going with a druid melee build that I am quite happy with.

Again, thanks to all for the guidance.

+ Reply to Thread