+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need advice on a build.

Default Need advice on a build.

I am currently level 50 and just hit the storm legion areas and I am just taking way to long to kill things, at least 45 seconds, I know this because I have a attack that has a 20 second cooldown and I get to use it twice within one battle, Currently I am a Ranger/Marksman and that is just not cutting it, I kill so slow I am about ready to just call it quits, when I have to kill 16 of one type of enemy or go deep into some cave area where there is enemies everywhere, it just takes to long to get even 1 quest done to be efficient.

I do have the gear from finishing the story quests in the first zone, and man was it hell.

Anyone? :\

Marksman and Ranger make really bad leveling specs in general for a variety of reasons.

You have three main options for solo builds.

First up is Tactician. This build has great AoE, but lackluster single-target DPS. It's also squishier than the other two builds, which means you can't pull and cleave down quite as many mobs.

Second, there's Nightblade/RS. This build has solid single-target DPS and is very simple to play, but the AoE isn't so great. It's also energy starved and has some ramp-up time, which can be irritating to deal with.

Lastly, there's Bladedancer/RS. This is, without a doubt, the strongest of the three builds-- it has great ST DPS, incredible AoE, and is very durable. But it's also much more difficult to play properly, and if you don't do it right, it won't do very well at all.

Ultimately, it's up to you-- do you want simplicity or power?
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-29-2013 at 08:17 PM.

What makes Bladedancer/rs so difficult? I am deciding on the second or third choice, but I am still curious why the third is so difficult.

Telaran

Bladedancer rotations can't be macroed and require constantly using different skills while rotating 21s cooldowns. Not the hardest thing in the world, but it's a big difference from some of the other specs that can be simplified to 2-4 buttons while still doing well.

Also, is the 61 Tactician build really that weak comparatively? That's what I used and I had few issues pulling 5-8 mobs at a time from 50 to 60.

Rift Disciple

I was in the same boat playing ranger. I opted for tactician with bard/RS as the additional utility is handy while duoing. The MM build would undoubtedly be more DPS. The one downside I have is that the tact feels more like a caster than a rogue.
    Cognitive Dissonance
    If you leave a rat in a Skinner Box long enough, it begins to develop theories about the moral rightness of pressing levers and the personal failings of those with fewer pellets. It is somewhat less likely to develop theories that the box and levers are necessary or desirable, because the pragmatic importance of acquiring pellets is self-evident. -Zubon, Kill Ten Rats

Quote Originally Posted by Eilidh View Post
    Also, is the 61 Tactician build really that weak comparatively? That's what I used and I had few issues pulling 5-8 mobs at a time from 50 to 60.
    Tactician's squishiness is something that you really start noticing if/when you fight mobs that are one or two levels above you.

It's also a lot less mobile than the other specs, which makes questing slower.

This is not to say that it's a bad spec, just that it does have drawbacks.
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-30-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Full marksman really isn't all that bad leveling, and was what I used for most of my own leveling back at launch.

Its squishy if you stand there and take it in the face... but if you are you're kinda doing it wrong.

Its strengths are range and mobility; you can literally out range ranged mobs if you root them and back out of their range. Melee mobs without ranged attacks shouldn't even touch you. Barbed Shot is <3

You clear a path and work from there, kiting back towards where you came from.

Either respec into 4 Tact for the self-heal-on-hit or apply Vampiric Essence to your weapons. There's nothing you can't kill outside of major rifts with a lot of caster mobs.

There are restrictions to playing it... namely you need wide open running space and the best ranged weapon you can get your hands on. Outside of that, it was plenty easy.

---

Though, thinking upon it further, I think my recollection of the ease of using MM to level may have been influenced by the whole part where I was in Full ID relic, including Avarice. >_>

Your mileage may vary.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ling-spec.html

this is a pretty good leveling build...and a lot of fun...
    Beware the Penguin...

I went ahead and went with the bladedancer spec, and now I am having no issues and I am killing at a effective rate, thanks everyone!

Would this be effective for someone coming back after an extremely extended vacation from the game? Currently a level 48 rogue using the Grandpa spec but I seem to be taking a lot more damage than I should be/not healing it up fast enough.
    Griffeth@Seastone
    Twitch - Come PvP with us!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    Would this be effective for someone coming back after an extremely extended vacation from the game? Currently a level 48 rogue using the Grandpa spec but I seem to be taking a lot more damage than I should be/not healing it up fast enough.
    Grandpa spec as in the sin/bd/rs? That spec was gutted with class changes as of SL. Should probably find something else to fiddle with~
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    Grandpa spec as in the sin/bd/rs? That spec was gutted with class changes as of SL. Should probably find something else to fiddle with~
    No this one: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ling-spec.html

Worked fine for leveling up my rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    No this one: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ling-spec.html

Worked fine for leveling up my rogue.
    I still use this spec for soloing. Love using it in fortress defense.
    Beware the Penguin...

Quote Originally Posted by Geopenguin View Post
    I still use this spec for soloing. Love using it in fortress defense.
    I would still have it (or something similar) had I the role slots.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast