+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts on this Tact PvP build?

Soulwalker

Default Thoughts on this Tact PvP build?

Build:
    http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMcTtVvxcVxkhovlqfoe0Mzo

Basically all the damage that a tactician needs seems to come straight from the tactician tree so I figured why not get some more resists form the rift stalker then some more HP from the bard tree plus a nice extra damage boost from the bard side as well.

Also I have yet to find much information on this so hopefully someone can clear this up.
    Are Torrents counted as a spell? Currently at my level and gear swapping out weapons and adding in spell power does not seem to change the damage of my torrent for me to figure this one out on my own.
    Last edited by Wasabicannon; 05-23-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Plane Touched

Torrents are counted as a channeled ranged attack and benefit from talents that increase ranged attack damage or channeled damage. As a rogue your primary stats are dex and attack power. You receive no benefit from spell stats.

As for your build, I would not put points into Riftstalker as a tac. You may do more damage or healing by virtue of surviving longer, but you will also do less burst. In PVP burst is what kills. You need to be able to pressure the enemy healers. If you can't do that you are of no use to your team.

I would recommend the following build:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...kAa90/Am8gx0/t

If you want to go support I suggest going 41 point bard then putting the rest into tac. For PVP support, bard is by far the superior soul. Tac can provide some support, but bard does it better.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Renynzea View Post
    Torrents are counted as a channeled ranged attack and benefit from talents that increase ranged attack damage or channeled damage. As a rogue your primary stats are dex and attack power. You receive no benefit from spell stats.

As for your build, I would not put points into Riftstalker as a tac. You may do more damage or healing by virtue of surviving longer, but you will also do less burst. In PVP burst is what kills. You need to be able to pressure the enemy healers. If you can't do that you are of no use to your team.

I would recommend the following build:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...kAa90/Am8gx0/t

If you want to go support I suggest going 41 point bard then putting the rest into tac. For PVP support, bard is by far the superior soul. Tac can provide some support, but bard does it better.
    I see thanks for that added information.
    Im mainly aiming for being a damage dealer with very minor support.

Do you have any feedback from the 60's bracket? Do Tact builds bring enough damage to kill their targets? Like last night I moved into the 20s bracket and for the life of me I could not even get someone's shield down.

Will this end up picking up and actually allow me to burst someone down while also being able to do some AOE damage or am I better off looking towards a different soul combo/calling?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabicannon View Post
    I see thanks for that added information.
    Im mainly aiming for being a damage dealer with very minor support.

Do you have any feedback from the 60's bracket? Do Tact builds bring enough damage to kill their targets? Like last night I moved into the 20s bracket and for the life of me I could not even get someone's shield down.

Will this end up picking up and actually allow me to burst someone down while also being able to do some AOE damage or am I better off looking towards a different soul combo/calling?
    No edit button. *GASP*

The main reason I am wondering how well this tact build would do in end game is that I see a lot of hate on the forums that after the 2.2 Tact Rogues became worthless and we should roll MM or another calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabicannon View Post
    No edit button. *GASP*

The main reason I am wondering how well this tact build would do in end game is that I see a lot of hate on the forums that after the 2.2 Tact Rogues became worthless and we should roll MM or another calling.
    Tactician is not a good PvP build, unfortunately. AoE damage is really easy to heal through, particularly if the other team has Wardens (and they usually do).

The only time you should ever be laying down AoEs in a Warfront is if you're trying to interrupt people who are capturing a point, and Marksman can do that about as well as Tactician.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Tactician is not a good PvP build, unfortunately. AoE damage is really easy to heal through, particularly if the other team has Wardens (and they usually do).
    Not entirely true. It all comes down to which pvp zone that you are in and in my opinion, the only pvp zone that this soul is useful for - working in conjunction with other classes - is conquest.

Quote Originally Posted by oakk View Post
    Not entirely true. It all comes down to which pvp zone that you are in and in my opinion, the only pvp zone that this soul is useful for - working in conjunction with other classes - is conquest.
    Marksman is still superior in Conquest. It does better in group fights, because healers tend to be distracted by AoE healing and can't keep a target up through focused ST, plus you can use Static Shot to trap people before they can back out of range. Plus it has great mobility for getting away if a VK or a Warlord pulls you in. And it does about as well on Extractors-- worse when the turrets are up, but better when they're down, which makes it a wash.

Also, Deaden and Eradicate. Mmmm.

The only time you should ever be laying down AoEs in a Warfront is if you're trying to interrupt people who are capturing a point, and Marksman can do that about as well as Tactician.
    This stuff falls under personal preference, as PvP performance isn't something you can really measure out via math like PvE performance.

I've been exclusively using variations of tact for pvp for more than a few months. Haters gonna hate, and generally based their opinions on folks who play it wrong or misinformation in general.

Haven't been pvping much at all recently, except for when some friends wants to do a few wfs for the guild quest. Being capped out on pvp gear and sitting at 100 freelancer/warlord marks kinda takes a whole lot of motivation out of pvping.

I'd go as far as to argue that every point you brought up in the past two posts about tact is incorrect (re: aoe vs wardens and tact in cq vs mms)

You'd needa keep in mind that this is kind of a team game even in pvp, and not a one-man-army game.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    I'd go as far as to argue that every point you brought up in the past two posts about tact is incorrect (re: aoe vs wardens and tact in cq vs mms)
    I've played a healer in Warfronts and Conquest quite a bit. As a Warden, I can easily handle 3-4 people AoEing. As a sentinel, I can only handle 2 people focusing a target.

AoE damage is just padding. In Conquest, you'll note that it's rare to see more than two enemies dying at the same time, and those happen to be the ones that have overextended. Most of the enemy team tends to remain at max health. If AoE were truly effective, you'd see more enemies dropping to lower health amounts and staying there.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    You'd needa keep in mind that this is kind of a team game even in pvp, and not a one-man-army game.
    Which is exactly why Marksman is better. Static Shot, Eradicate, and Deaden allow you to support your allies in ways that Tactician can't match.

RIFT Guide Writer

I've played a healer in Warfronts and Conquest quite a bit. As a Warden, I can easily handle 3-4 people AoEing. As a sentinel, I can only handle 2 people focusing a target.

AoE damage is just padding. In Conquest, you'll note that it's rare to see more than two enemies dying at the same time, and those happen to be the ones that have overextended. Most of the enemy team tends to remain at max health. If AoE were truly effective, you'd see more enemies dropping to lower health amounts and staying there.

Which is exactly why Marksman is better. Static Shot, Eradicate, and Deaden allow you to support your allies in ways that Tactician can't match.
    Only time I play conquest is in a premade and they are entirely aoe. A couple of support for buffs, a few wardens and chloros and the rest is just pure aoe dps. That means tacticians, cabalists etc. The fights last like 15 seconds with everyone popping their cooldowns and then everyone on the opposing pug raid(s) is dead except some stragglers who may have escaped. MM has absolutely no place in the setup.

Aoe is effective when you have enough of it. If you have just one guy aoeing then it's pointless but 14 people aoeing is very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Only time I play conquest is in a premade and they are entirely aoe. A couple of support for buffs, a few wardens and chloros and the rest is just pure aoe dps. That means tacticians, cabalists etc. The fights last like 15 seconds with everyone popping their cooldowns and then everyone on the opposing pug raid(s) is dead except some stragglers who may have escaped. MM has absolutely no place in the setup.

Aoe is effective when you have enough of it. If you have just one guy aoeing then it's pointless but 14 people aoeing is very effective.
    Conquest premades are an entirely different animal, since you're generally fighting groups that aren't even remotely prepared for that kind of coordination.

Telaran

I agree with Moonfirespam. I use tact almost exclusively in any warfront match that ends up being more than a 5v5. Tact is all about positioning. In most warfronts, the other team is clumped up and they tend not to move unless melee is on them. I personally use the pve tact build. Necro bolt makes for a good way (even with resto engine up) to finish off sub 30% people quickly. It still has deaden from mm to interrupt important casts. The 0 points in RS is clutch for the blink when the inevitable warrior yanks you in.

With tact, choke points are your best friend. Aka, any of the passages leading in and out of the Eye in conquest, the bridge area of port scion, flag areas of whitefall and black garden. The Codex flag normally is another cluster****. Library has narrow passages leading to and from the main platform and around the sides. There are more chokepoints than this but you get the point.

An important thing to remember with tact is that you're not naturally tanky on your own. Your survivability will depend on your good positioning, gear, and some love from healers. Most dps will simply aim for the closest thing to them even when its a full vk tank. Make sure that's not you when their entire raid is alive. The tact spec only has a little bit of extra resist/armor, a little bit of endurance, and some trickle heals. Your oh **** cds are the rogue cleanse to wipe dots and your shield every minute.

As a final note, don't ever expect to 1v1 a half-way competent healer as tact. It's just not going to happen unless they're just that dumb.

When im rolling in a zerg like scion or conquest i use the raid tactician build. It quite commonly pulls top aoe dps in a fight and multiple tacs can stretch a healers ability to raid heal. Not to mention necrotic bolt is awesome for finishing targets off. Pvp isnt about sustained dmg. Its burst. And a good tac will be looking for people to finish off.

When im running TO the zerg, running scion crystals or other such things i usually go MM.

I also run bard or assassin. Basically what i use and when depends on the situation.

But the tac version i recommend for OP is the raid one. It pulls double duty as a raiding and farming spec as well.

+ Reply to Thread