+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about rogues

Soulwalker

Default Question about rogues

Is there a viable assassin spec for both pvp and pve? Because i loved being a rogue in wow, with poisons and alot of utility and being able to burst the **** out of people.

I know there's been comments about 61sin being pretty decent ST DPS, there's probably a guide or two floating around for it?
    Epic Gendo

Assassin is good at 1v1 PvP, but not so great in actual warfronts. You can use it, but it'll be less effective than builds like 61 Marksman.

In PvE, 61 Assassin is the highest single-target DPS spec that we have. However, it literally does not have any AoE abilities at all, which means that it's generally not a good idea to use it in dungeons.

You may want to try Nightblade in PvE-- it has stealth capabilities and weapon enchants that proc damage, just like Assassin, but it has AoE.

my guide

Here is the Assassin dps guide for PVE.

For pvp there are several very effective builds that you can use of which I will have a guide/video out for later. Although players like Muspel will tell you assassin is worthless in warfronts, I will completely disagree as if you played a rogue in wow you will agree it is a completely different play-style than zerg vs zerg. A good sin with the right build can 2v1, 3v1 all day with good CC management all of which will be covered in the video that will be up later.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Anecdotally, people that come from WoW and expect to be able to play a rogue as they did tend to be disappointed.

Here's how to aoe as 61 assassin:

Drop puncture and impale on every mob

wtfptnz.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsurfing View Post
    Here's how to aoe as 61 assassin:

Drop puncture and impale on every mob

wtfptnz.
    fanout!

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Orangu View Post
    my guide

Here is the Assassin dps guide for PVE.

For pvp there are several very effective builds that you can use of which I will have a guide/video out for later. Although players like Muspel will tell you assassin is worthless in warfronts, I will completely disagree as if you played a rogue in wow you will agree it is a completely different play-style than zerg vs zerg. A good sin with the right build can 2v1, 3v1 all day with good CC management all of which will be covered in the video that will be up later.
    im using a assasin spec to lvl via warfronts, im a returning player, lvl 50 atm, im using 51 assasin/15 NB/ 0 Rift, and will pump all remaining point into Assasin, i miss something to stay on target, but once i get that it seems very viable, im always top 3 KB it seems, and im not even very good player, once you get dots rolling stuff dies in next stun, and Vanish is a lifesaver.

i would like to hear what spec you use for warfronts for some inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    im using a assasin spec to lvl via warfronts, im a returning player, lvl 50 atm, im using 51 assasin/15 NB/ 0 Rift, and will pump all remaining point into Assasin, i miss something to stay on target, but once i get that it seems very viable, im always top 3 KB it seems, and im not even very good player, once you get dots rolling stuff dies in next stun, and Vanish is a lifesaver.

i would like to hear what spec you use for warfronts for some inspiration.
    That's the trick is staying in melee. to fulfill this you need need NEED marksman.

2 builds I use for sin.

61 sin build- http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#Ah0g/ykFlliGAGl4/wu

get hasty departure and ranged attacks from sin, swift shot and hasted still do decent damage and when combined with hasty departure also give you 55% extra movement speed which will make you almost unkitable once you get the leap.

My favorite build EVER for pvp- (I have been very reluctant to post this on forums but have given it to anyone that asks for it)
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#A...GgEAg/t9m55l2g

You lose very little damage with this build over 61 sin but gain a TON of HP, survivability, utility like interrupts and cooldowns. Also 2 mm for the builder and finisher that give movement speed and do decent damage. The trick is to use the blinks for their 10 second damage and crit buffs, NOT as gap closers (except shadow shift) and to maintain your dots.

If you or anyone would like one on one personal help with anything just pm me when I'm online at Lithmygoo@deepwood and add me to your friends list.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Soulwalker

thx a bunch for posting this, im out this weekend but will spec both next week, then get back to you with testing results, always nice to try new specs out, trying stuff out is half the game.

Soulwalker

ohh and before i forget, all the MM stuff, do you macro a ranged weapon into a macro or something, or just use the stuff i can with melee weapons.

Rift Chaser

If you have a macro with a sin builder and an MM builder, sin builder on top, you will automatically swap weapons if you're not in range to use the sin builder.

Soulwalker

ok, so all i need to do is buy a bow also and use that on the other weapon set, since gear get scaled up if dps dont really matter for the bow.

for those particular builds just use the builder macros like

for the 61 sin:
    #show backstab
    cast serpent strike
    cast backstab
    cast savage strike
    cast swift shot

This will let you use swiftshot whenever the target is out of range (also you can unmacro serpent strike and manage it separately to control your burst DPS better)

for spec 2 the builder looks like:

#show backstab
    cast backstab
    cast phantom blow
    cast savage strike
    cast swift shot

The reason I show backstab for both is to know when I'm behind my target

For both the finisher macro is

#show final blow
    cast final blow
    cast hasted shot

Also don't forget you need to maintain puncture, impale and in spec 2 the blinks every 8-10 seconds. Don't ever macro poison malice, use it as a very good burst DPS cooldown since that is what it is.
    Last edited by Orangu; 05-24-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Soulwalker

Thx for the macros, do you also macro the gap closers or have them on seperate keys, and i imagin you want to port behind the target in stealth to get 15% dmg buff, or do they break stealth.

Sorry if this is stupid question but there is a few days untill im at my computer, so i would like to know.

Also is there a pvp trinket or something to break stuff in this game, as you can hear its long since i played.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast