+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there any reason to bring a rogue tank over cleric/warrior?

Default Is there any reason to bring a rogue tank over cleric/warrior?

Honestly, whenever I heal dungeons or tank as a rogue I notice they take a ton more damage than any other tank. In order of least to greatest amount

warrior > cleric > rogue. Now thats not to say I haven't seen bad warriors or clerics, but generally when I see a rogue tank I have to prep more just to keep them alive.

Are there any reasons to bring the rogue over something else? Besides the player?

RIFT Guide Writer

Rogue tanks don't take more damage by default than others. You have probably just ran into badly geared rogue tanks.

Well I mean this is leveling speaking. They were fine up until about 25 or so, and since then I've just had to keep this mindset. I mean do they have to have THE best gear for them to be on-par with other tanks?

I guess my question didn't get answered. Where do they shine that other tanks don't? Or do they?

RIFT Guide Writer

Oh you are talking about low level specs. No one really spends much time optimizing those and different callings can scale differently as you level up depending on when you get your class defining abilities. The gear scaling should be the same for everyone though.

Rogue tanks excel at cooldowns and mobility. We have many powerful defensive cooldowns to deal with spike damage and plenty of teleports to move around.

Like Gery Said. CD and mobility. Many times, while leveling, I had to teleport to avoid a killing blow while intermittently using cool-downs. Finishing a fight in which the healer died as the boss hit 50% is very possible because of that mobility.

As odd as it will sound, having a bad healer usually makes playing a rogue tank very fun. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Believeinsteve View Post
    Well I mean this is leveling speaking. They were fine up until about 25 or so, and since then I've just had to keep this mindset. I mean do they have to have THE best gear for them to be on-par with other tanks?

I guess my question didn't get answered. Where do they shine that other tanks don't? Or do they?
    Tank balance is a little wonky at low levels, much like healer and DPS balance, but the content is so trivially easy it doesn't really matter.

At endgame, where that kind of thing becomes important, you'll find that there's a lot more parity. At that point, rogues are actually the most durable of the tanks, albeit by a relatively small margin.

Rogue tanks also have some pretty sick tools that can trivialize mechanics, like Physical Wellness and to some degree Memory Capture.

Do you even cooldown bro?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Believeinsteve View Post

I've faced the EXACT opposite while leveling. I'm now 59 and not a single Rogue was an issue, while especially Warriors where horribly hard to heal.

It depends on the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Justi View Post
    I've faced the EXACT opposite while leveling. I'm now 59 and not a single Rogue was an issue, while especially Warriors where horribly hard to heal.

It depends on the player.
    This is usually because Rogue and Cleric tank specs are quite difficult to mess up (but believe me, I've seen it done) while Warrior tank specs are very confusing to new players who try to put 20 points into two different souls and a few into warlord and get nothing useful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    This is usually because Rogue and Cleric tank specs are quite difficult to mess up (but believe me, I've seen it done)
    I saw a RS/Sab in a dungeon once. It made me cry a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I saw a RS/Sab in a dungeon once. It made me cry a little.
    All that AE threat! Cleric tank with dynamite!
    A witty saying proves nothing
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Ymirson View Post
    All that AE threat! Cleric tank with dynamite!
    The bastard actually incriminated the healer. It was pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    The bastard actually incriminated the healer. It was pretty awful.
    You've found it, the way to do worse than barding with Guardian Phase on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    You've found it, the way to do worse than barding with Guardian Phase on.
    Barding with G- ... wat.

I just felt the cold seep of my faith in humanity leaking out.

Or at least I think that's what that was.
    Akhet <Tabula Rasa> - Rogue
    World First Green Swirly Thing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast