+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogue Tank BiS

Shadowlander

Default Rogue Tank BiS

Anyone know of an up to date tank BiS list? The ones I can find are all pre-sl.
    Wolfsbane

You can make your own very easily.

Go to Magelo and sort leather gear by endurance. If one piece has more endurance but less armor/resist all, then use the one with more armor/resist all.

If and only if two pieces have exactly the same endurance and armor/resist all, then look at the other stats. Deflect is the best of the avoidance stats, and dodge and parry are almost identical. Aside from that specific situation, never pay attention to avoidance when comparing two pieces of rogue tank gear.

Shadowlander

Thanks. So the gist of it is Armor > Resist > Endurance? I always thought it was Endurance was first.
    Wolfsbane

Armor and Resist are useful for different types of damage so they're not directly comparable unless you have a specific fight in mind. You also only get resistance from a few pieces of gear which don't have armor. You are not going to get a whole lot of comparisons with higher of one and lower of the other, generally you get higher armor on higher tier gear which also will have higher endurance. The exception being crafted gear with epic rugged augments.

TL: DR; look for the highest armor pieces with the highest endurance, or the highest resist pieces with the highest endurance, it's hard to go wrong.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 05-14-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Armor and Resist are useful for different types of damage so they're not directly comparable unless you have a specific fight in mind. You also only get resistance from a few pieces of gear which don't have armor. You are not going to get a whole lot of comparisons with higher of one and lower of the other, generally you get higher armor on higher tier gear which also will have higher endurance. The exception being crafted gear with epic rugged augments.

TL: DR; look for the highest armor pieces with the highest endurance, or the highest resist pieces with the highest endurance, it's hard to go wrong.
    Sift through the barrel and look for oranges!
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by angryglock View Post
    Thanks. So the gist of it is Armor > Resist > Endurance? I always thought it was Endurance was first.
    It's a bit muddy, but in general, gear with higher armor (or resist all, in the case of jewelry and cloaks) will have higher endurance, as well, because it's of a higher tier. The exception is crafted gear with endurance augments, and in general, you'd be giving up a hefty chunk of mitigation for one or two points of endurance, which isn't worth it.

Shadowlander

Found a site for the tank bis info.
    http://www.riftscene.com/database/we...or/rogue_tank/
    Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by angryglock View Post
    Found a site for the tank bis info.
    http://www.riftscene.com/database/we...or/rogue_tank/
    That list is extremely inaccurate.

Anything that attempts to numerically weight avoidance (dodge, parry, deflect) versus effective health (endurance, armor, resistance) is wrong. It cannot be done, because they do fundamentally different things. The example I often use is comparing a purge to an interrupt-- you can argue that a purge is better, but it's meaningless and arbitrary to say "a purge is worth .27 of an interrupt", because there's no way to mathematically compare them.

Bosses, particularly raid bosses, do extremely high burst damage, most of which is unavoidable. You need to be prepared for the worst-case scenario. And avoidance, being based on RNG, does not help with the worst-case scenario by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I wouldn't call it EXTREMELY inaccurate =P

Just merely inaccurate!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    I wouldn't call it EXTREMELY inaccurate =P

Just merely inaccurate!
    The stat weights were either pulled out of thin air, or based on aHP calculations. Both of those are deeply flawed methodologies.

EDIT: I say deeply flawed too much.
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-18-2013 at 06:48 PM.

The stat weights were either pulled out of thin air, or based on aHP calculations. Both of those are deeply flawed methodologies.

EDIT: I say deeply flawed too much.
    But we all know that "slightly flawed" and "deeply flawed" both can be condenced into "flawed" and on that point you're correct.

People please, don't use pre-made lists with no backing to them, rogues tanking gear is easily placed with the following logic to 95% accuracy, stupid crafted gear:

IF Same item level THEN Endurance > Deflect > Rest of stats

Shadowlander

Anything that attempts to numerically weight avoidance (dodge, parry, deflect) versus effective health (endurance, armor, resistance) is wrong. It cannot be done, because they do fundamentally different things. The example I often use is comparing a purge to an interrupt-- you can argue that a purge is better, but it's meaningless and arbitrary to say "a purge is worth .27 of an interrupt", because there's no way to mathematically compare them.

Bosses, particularly raid bosses, do extremely high burst damage, most of which is unavoidable. You need to be prepared for the worst-case scenario. And avoidance, being based on RNG, does not help with the worst-case scenario by definition.
    I don't disagree but since I am starting the gear collection I wanted a simple list of the possible gear and where you get it. Seeing the stats of the possible gear in a good interface is enough for me to know which low hanging fruit I could get from crafted gear and world gear and how it compares with the other gear. This list does that very well. I did not pay much attention to the ranking. In the past I always went for HP. I plan on doing that again once I have some choices. Right now the best of the easiest gear to get is what I want. I called it a BiS list cause that's generally where you find a list of specific role gear. I really just wanted all the tank gear in one spot without the clunky interface of the general gear databases.

Or I could just wait until next month and buy all the expert gear....
    Last edited by angryglock; 05-20-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Wolfsbane

Ascendant

Unfortunately you would be forced to do alot of the legwork on your own.
    The best thing you can do is use the old tank sheet to get an idea of what are the available tank gear, and instead prioritize toughness/endurance in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    Unfortunately you would be forced to do alot of the legwork on your own.
    The best thing you can do is use the old tank sheet to get an idea of what are the available tank gear, and instead prioritize toughness/endurance in that order.
    There's no need to prioritize toughness unless you're below the minimum. It provides no benefit past that point.

There's no need to prioritize toughness unless you're below the minimum. It provides no benefit past that point.
    Sorta?

Pieces with higher toughness are from higher tiers anyway... so it kind of comes with getting a better piece.

There isn't a single case where a piece with higher toughness is inferior to a piece with lower toughness that I can think of.

So while you're technically correct, its splitting hairs that don't need to be split.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast