+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Muspel

Thread: Thoughts on my idea build

Plane Touched

Default Thoughts on my idea build

So, I was wondering about this build for rogue tanking in regards to being dodge tank. Thoughts? Comments?

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMcTVVrvlsltkukfusdqzvx0o

RIFT Guide Writer

Avoidance tanking only works in situations where you have so many incoming attacks that it works practically the same way as mitigation. This is almost never the case when you actually tank in game. Most of the time you are tanking big single hits and many of them can't even be dodged since they are spells or special abilities. You are better off sticking to the regular tanking builds.

I wonder...
    Dodge is from DEX, so if you wanted to really maximize dodge chance, running Ambidextrous in BD with another four points in Nimble Fingers from Sab may be the max dodge you'll be able to achieve from build alone? It'd trade off (very nice) tanking abilities from Bard to give you another 8% and 10% DEX to use for Dodge. Unless the 2% DEX gain from one more point in Nimble Fingers could net you more than the 1% Dodge you gain from Quick Reflexes.

And just as a note, so nobody needs to go on a rampage about it:
    Running for dodge specifically, while an interesting idea, wouldn't be as good as just building in a more normal way. It's not very dependable, and won't work in any mage fight ofc. Though by all means OP, follow what you want to do and have fun with it. Thus is the benefits of being able to play the game however you want to play it!

e; Gery totally ninja'd me by like fifteen minutes. I should refresh pages more often before beginning posts.
    Last edited by Lorx; 05-12-2013 at 03:21 AM.
    Epic Gendo

It was how rogue tanks worked pre-HK...Then Murdantix shat all over rogues, as did every other boss in that instance.

They did some riftstalker revamps at the end of HK, after aklyios had been killed. Think that was when they added deflect to it.

Few months after that they gave up on maintaining rogue tank's uniqueness and scrapped it alltogether and essentially converted us into warrior/cleric tanks as far as hp, mitigation and avoidance.

It didn't work too well back then when dodge was far more valuable (more % dodge gain per rating.) Its certainly not going to work very well now that its been nerfed.
    Last edited by MoonfireSpam; 05-12-2013 at 03:42 AM.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Avoidance tanking only works in situations where you have so many incoming attacks that it works practically the same way as mitigation. This is almost never the case when you actually tank in game. Most of the time you are tanking big single hits and many of them can't even be dodged since they are spells or special abilities. You are better off sticking to the regular tanking builds.
    Avoidance tanking also works when effective health is significantly higher than the damage spikes that you'll take-- for instance, if it takes a minimum of 10-15 seconds to kill a tank from max hp, then endurance is way less valuable than if it takes three seconds.

Unfortunately, boss damage is incredibly high right now, and healers can sustain high output indefinitely, which means that avoidance is a solution in search of a problem. Avoidance tanking simply doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    Then Murdantix shat all over rogues,
    Don't make the same mistake as i made and imagine vivid images with olfactory elements.
    A witty saying proves nothing
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorx View Post
    I wonder...
    Dodge is from DEX, so if you wanted to really maximize dodge chance, running Ambidextrous in BD with another four points in Nimble Fingers from Sab may be the max dodge you'll be able to achieve from build alone? It'd trade off (very nice) tanking abilities from Bard to give you another 8% and 10% DEX to use for Dodge. Unless the 2% DEX gain from one more point in Nimble Fingers could net you more than the 1% Dodge you gain from Quick Reflexes.

And just as a note, so nobody needs to go on a rampage about it:
    Running for dodge specifically, while an interesting idea, wouldn't be as good as just building in a more normal way. It's not very dependable, and won't work in any mage fight ofc. Though by all means OP, follow what you want to do and have fun with it. Thus is the benefits of being able to play the game however you want to play it!

e; Gery totally ninja'd me by like fifteen minutes. I should refresh pages more often before beginning posts.
    You would need to have about 12,000 Dexterity for 2% Dex to be more than 1% Dodge. I don't know about you, but I've got about 1700 Dex in raid gear. Only 10,300 dex to go.

Oh dear god that ratio is horrible.
    Epic Gendo

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorx View Post
    Oh dear god that ratio is horrible.
    I've never seen anything like the way avoidance is treated in this game. Not only is it impossible to get any meaningful amount, but the final boss of the tier can't be avoided. Dodge/Parry should honestly be removed from the game entirely.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 05-12-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    I've never seen anything like the way avoidance is treated in this game. Not only is it impossible to get any meaningful amount, but the final boss of the tier can't be avoided. Dodge/Parry should honestly be removed from the game entirely.
    I'd like to see that, as well. Replace them with more interesting stats-- maybe dodge would be changed into something that amplifies incoming healing, for instance.

+ Reply to Thread