+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 61MM opening rotation

Rift Disciple

Default 61MM opening rotation

I've always found that this rotation gives me the most burst and aligns my RFS/QR/RFS with Wild Growth and Flaring Power, but I've always been curious what other people do for their opening rotation.

Manual Cast Empowered Shot --> 3x Swift Shot --> RFS (with free recoil)
    Instant Empowered Shot --> Bulls Eye + Deadeye Shot
    Decoy --> Instant Empowered Shot --> Strafe to 100% energy (usually the entire cast) --> Hasted Shot
    Instant Empowered Shot -> 3x Swift Shot -> RFS (with free recoil)
    Instant Empowered Shot --> Quick Reload --> RFS (with free recoil)
    Instant Empowere Shot --> Bulls Eye + Deadeye
    Decoy --> Instant Empowered Shot --> Strafe to 100% energy (usually the entire cast) -->

Etc...

Was wondering if there are any downfalls to that rotation or I should be doing something different.

Cheers,

Marksman really doesn't have a rotation, it's a priority system. Planning out that kind of order isn't much use, because it's not valid on every encounter and the proper priority will give you the same results with more adaptability anyways.

Ascendant

Muspel is right about priority.

The main goal is to fit in as many empowered shots as possible. Thats what I aim for and it works well for me.
    \

RIFT Guide Writer

You can still plan an opening rotation even in a priority system which is what he is planning. Anyway that rotation fails a bit on this part:
    Instant Empowered Shot --> Bulls Eye + Deadeye Shot
    Decoy --> Instant Empowered Shot --> Strafe to 100% energy (usually the entire cast) --> Hasted Shot
    You can use Decoy just fine earlier than that, around the time of your first RFS. You are just losing time doing an ogcd ability between DES and EMP. Also you can't even queue Empowered Shot right after Deadeye Shot so you should switch the order to DES -> Strafe -> EMP -> Hasted (or DES). You have the same mistake again later on too.

You can also do a bit better if you use Free Recoil before the pull so the cooldown on it is running while you have it already active.

It used to have an opening rotation... back when there were self buffs to be applied (head shot, shadowfire, etc)

But they've gutted that since SL launch =P

The only thing I can think of would be getting the 4 piece bonus up asap, which may possibly involve a single point finisher (or if you have cps saved up, opening up with a finisher) and then going from there.

Though, that's untested, and probably only amounts to a blip in terms of total dps gain, if any.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Rift Master

Reading through Muspel's guide, and comparing to this guy's rotation, I do have one question with regards to using Strafe and EMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel
    Use it right after a finisher, let it channel as long as it takes to reach 100 energy, then use Empowered Shot and a finisher, even if Empowered Shot will take you past 5 combo points.
    Compare that to this guy's rotation where he uses EMP first, then channel's Strafe.

From an energy management perspective, I can understand using EMP first, then strafing until full. However, instinctually, Strafe first until 100%, and then EMP seems like it should provide more DPS by building CPs quicker (in raid, I find I'm at 100% energy after 3 ticks of strafe + EMP for 5) and getting that finisher off sooner.

Thoughts?

I'm a little confused. Why would that build CPs faster?
    Last edited by Muspel; 05-07-2013 at 12:37 PM.

I want 3 stacks of STM up as soon as possible so I don't start with Empowered Shot, nor would I start with Strafe for the same reason. In fact from opening I don't do my first Strafe until FP/OoP/WG are up, which is around 15 seconds into most fights meaning the target is fully debuffed and you more than likely have Increased Fire Power active. You can also easily fit your second Strafe in with Flaring Power still active.

The Decoy hits harder when you have 3 stacks of STM applied to the target.

Use Free Recoil as soon as you can because the effect persists but the cooldown begins its countdown right away.

I never do full 5 point Strafe only 3 point. I'm not totally convinced this is better dps than actually going the full 5 points I just don't like wasting combo points unless there's a damned good reason to and I like to hear the meaty thunk of my instant Empowered Shot at regular intervals.

EDIT: Thankfully I don't have to play Marksman much (in PvE) and can have fun with my favourite NB/Sin spec.
    Last edited by Zazen; 05-07-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Rift Master

Given the higher energy cost of EMP, I find that if I use it first, then I generally have to wait a tick after I reach 5CPs while strafing to get back to 100%, vs. 3 Strafe ticks to 100% + EMP for 5 CPs.

Just my thoughts, but I'm more curious about why you have the recommendation to use EMP after strafe rather than before. I don't see it stated anywhere in your guide, nor in the ensuing comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Caldorian View Post
    Given the higher energy cost of EMP, I find that if I use it first, then I generally have to wait a tick after I reach 5CPs while strafing to get back to 100%, vs. 3 Strafe ticks to 100% + EMP for 5 CPs.

Just my thoughts, but I'm more curious about why you have the recommendation to use EMP after strafe rather than before. I don't see it stated anywhere in your guide, nor in the ensuing comments.
    In general, it doesn't matter either way now that energy is a nonissue. Using Strafe first will be slightly superior if the previous finisher was Deadeye Shot, though, because you can queue up Strafe, but you can't queue up Empowered Shot.

for me hardcast emp is > 2 insta swift shots, dps wise

wait for 3 stacks on target before decoy. now that decoy is ogcd its easier to align with flaring. dont just mindlessly spam decoy or macro it, its at least 400 dps if not more. use it when its not going to die (some aoe phase) and when it will do the most dps.

i always do an insta emp before strafe to put it on cd. each tick of strafe hits harder then swift shot, but not as hard as hasted shot, or emp. so strafe is a perfect replacement for swift shot builders, as well as doing more dps, and helping energy regen. insert argument about clipping or not clipping strafe here.

my bullseye des macro has des, emp, hasted in that order. so if im standstill i get the most dps (des). if im moving, emp does more then hasted. and if emp is on cd, hasted is the last thing.

i use quick reload at 0 points after ive done my finishers. ive found if i do an insta emp and then a QR my insta emp status is removed and im stuck with hard cast emps. this acts like a bug but according to someone who spoke to the dev, its a feature, and there is no incentive to fix it.

get free recoil on cd asap. keep it on cd.

if you can start a fight with 5 pts is best. that way you do finisher and get insta emp ASAP. so i always try to end a fight with 5 pts. or you can duel. or something else.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsurfing View Post
    i always do an insta emp before strafe to put it on cd.
    This makes no sense. For all practical purposes, Empowered Shot doesn't have a CD, due to Lock n Load. Strafe does have a CD. You use Strafe first because that starts the CD a bit sooner than waiting until after Emp.

+ Reply to Thread