+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: NB improvement discussion

Default NB improvement discussion

So i was sitting around the other day and thought to myself Nightblade is such a fun spec but suffers from just a little bad design that could be easily tweaked

Touch of Darkness: Ebon Terror, Dark Malady, Smother and Death from the Shadows deal an additional 1126 Death damage, but their range is reduced to 5m.

For being a 44 point talent it is basically useless. I'm not saying i have a answer on how to fix it but i was thinking maybe make Touch something like a Thread of Death type of ability. It would give NB a good dps buff in pve and some slight utility as well in pvp. And to keep it from being too good in the nb/sin hybrid it could swap spots the the tree with Blazing Path.

Living Flame: Deals 3381 Fire damage over 5s to up to 10 nearby enemies.

As for LF i like the idea that was proposed a while back. Make it pulse Fiery Spikes. It would up NB's aoe a decent amount but not so much to make it overpowered in any sense. More of a quality of life buff if anything so there isnt as much ramp up.

Dark Containment: Incapacitates for 15s or until damaged.

This ability just seems like a waste of a 44 point talent to me. I have to current idea how to rework it but maybe somebody in this thread will have a good idea.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

NB is in a pretty good place right now. Not sure I want them tinkering.

I agree with the OP, if there's a place NB could be improved it'd be higher NB. That's why Sin-NB does more damage above and below 30% and people play NB-RS instead of 61NB in pvp (or usually do), the abilities above 50+ aren't that great except for Ebon blades.

However, some of those abilities you listed I do use. Dark Containment is pretty good.

The abilities I'd change would be:
    Living flame - I like your idea about pulsing fiery spike with a bit of radiating aoe damage
    Blazing Path - I don't like how this ability functions, better to make it that you port 15m forward but stop at the enemy like a charge. There are issues using the ability effectively, you often come up short meaning you do no damage, or go too far and you can get cleaved.
    Nightstalker - I think this should be moved up to 40% instead of 30%. NB needs a damage boost, add flame blitz to the list of abilities too.

The reason I think NB needs a nudge upwards is other melee specs are much higher dps. 61NB is lower then warlock in dps or some ranged classes. It's probably the lowest melee dps 61 pointer in game... unless you count Druid as melee.

If the issue is NB is an aoe melee soul and it's not intended for it to be comparable ST to other classes/specs then the aoe abilities should hit 8 targets instead of 5, plus a way to spread fiery spike faster would help.

These changes wouldn't effect pvp too much either, I don't think there's a reason to go higher then 40 in NB in pvp or rather there isn't a reason to go higher right now.
    Last edited by Mayi; 05-03-2013 at 06:34 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

RIFT Guide Writer

To buff NB but not buff NB/Sin restricts the things you can touch quite a bit. You are basically limited to the highest abilities in root and the few talents in the tree that NB/Sin does't take.

My list would be this:
    1. Change Primal Death to give 2%/4%/6% critical hit chance for non-physical attacks. That would also address the chronic lack of crit chance in 61 NB build which causes it to scale poorly with crit power.
    2. Add Primal Death's old bonus of +Primal Strike damage to Eventide.
    3. Make finishers used with Dark Descent not consume stacks of Heat Retention.

Buffing Melted Skin would also be an option since NB/Sin doesn't use NB enchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Buffing Melted Skin would also be an option since NB/Sin doesn't use NB enchants.
    If they buffed Melted Skin, it would be very easy for NB/Sin to grab it and use Molten Blades or whatever.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    If they buffed Melted Skin, it would be very easy for NB/Sin to grab it and use Molten Blades or whatever.
    NB/Sin would have to spec 2 points into Melted Skin, those 2 points would provide about 150 dps each when spent elsewhere. Then NB/Sin would lose the far higher damage of a poison and trade it for Smoldering Blades for 1k+ loss in dps.

For Melted Skin to be worth it for NB/Sin it would need to be provide at least 8% damage bonus instead of the current 5%. It could be buffed to 6 or 7% without consequences to NB/Sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    NB/Sin would have to spec 2 points into Melted Skin, those 2 points would provide about 150 dps each when spent elsewhere. Then NB/Sin would lose the far higher damage of a poison and trade it for Smoldering Blades for 1k+ loss in dps.

For Melted Skin to be worth it for NB/Sin it would need to be provide at least 8% damage bonus instead of the current 5%. It could be buffed to 6 or 7% without consequences to NB/Sin.
    They could make Melted Skin have some effect on Ebon Blades too.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    They could make Melted Skin have some effect on Ebon Blades too.
    For PvE that wouldn't really make any difference as you're always going to pair Ebon with Smoldering anyway and that alone virtually guarentees 100% uptime on the Melted Skin buff.

Unless you meant an additional effect of some kind?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by desaroth View Post
    So i was sitting around the other day and thought to myself Nightblade is such a fun spec but suffers from just a little bad design that could be easily tweaked

Touch of Darkness: Ebon Terror, Dark Malady, Smother and Death from the Shadows deal an additional 1126 Death damage, but their range is reduced to 5m.

For being a 44 point talent it is basically useless. I'm not saying i have a answer on how to fix it but i was thinking maybe make Touch something like a Thread of Death type of ability. It would give NB a good dps buff in pve and some slight utility as well in pvp. And to keep it from being too good in the nb/sin hybrid it could swap spots the the tree with Blazing Path.

Living Flame: Deals 3381 Fire damage over 5s to up to 10 nearby enemies.

As for LF i like the idea that was proposed a while back. Make it pulse Fiery Spikes. It would up NB's aoe a decent amount but not so much to make it overpowered in any sense. More of a quality of life buff if anything so there isnt as much ramp up.

Dark Containment: Incapacitates for 15s or until damaged.

This ability just seems like a waste of a 44 point talent to me. I have to current idea how to rework it but maybe somebody in this thread will have a good idea.
    I agree that Touch of Darkness is useless, but the change of Living flame is a bit much.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by HeartLessDart View Post
    I agree that Touch of Darkness is useless, but the change of Living flame is a bit much.
    It's all kind of relative what is and isn't too much. I mean one could propose reducing the cooldown of Living Flame to 30 seconds, making the damage instant, causing everyone hit by it to explode affecting up to 5 surrounding enemies and then balance the damage so that it does somewhere around 750k total damage if all of them hit. That would put it roughly on par with Rift Spear+Fork which is what warriors have in riftblade and that is working as intended.

Ascendant

Touch of Darkness - As mentioned this is a really useless ability. I can't speak for PvP So maybe it has some application there? But ultimately it has the problem that a lot of pre 1.11 Assassin talents had: it's once per battle only.

I'd change it to a Thread of Death-lite, so it'd also bring the new Death from the Shadows ability into the Nightblade's regular gameplay

Ebon Blades - Should be easy enough 'lazy' answer to improving deep Nightblade. Tweak the direct damage and debuff portions as required tp meet targets.

Blazing Path - I've never really liked this, it feels awkward and clumsy to use. I like the comment above about having it stop you in front of the target (like Shadow Stalk) if used while you have something targetted.

Perhaps even applying the Fire DoT to your target when used? Though using a gap closer as part of a DPS rotation would have its own problems so maybe that's not the best idea.
    Last edited by Kedon; 05-03-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Making Dark Malady usable while out of stealth with like a 30 sec cd would be good in helping add some flavor to the rotation and bringing up the dps to nb/sin lvls.

put an X second CD on Dark Malady and make it useable outside of stealth - We now have a weaker version of rift strike. should fix everything

edit: did not see that the last post says the exact same thing. but yeah.. that :P lol
    Last edited by Plexus; 05-03-2013 at 10:04 PM.

I doubt they'll make dark malady function like thread of death in the assassin tree, they dont like duplicating playstyles and themes across specs in that manner

Edit: not to mention that this would also be an analogous buff to NB/sin, which would do nothing to push pure NB back into the realm of viability, unless of course they put it deep in the root tree, which would then start to look more like an overhaul than just a few tweaks.
    Last edited by Jurugar; 05-03-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    <Condemned> - 4/4 ToDQ, 4/4 FT, 5/5 EE

All NB needs is a high tier buff (58, 61 point abilities), the rest of it is pretty much fine if not very powerful when coupled with riftstalker or assassin.
    -=[ Virulent - 65 - P100 | Harlakk - 65 - P100 | Ascaroth - 62 - P95 | Brahman - 65 - P92 ]=-
    -=[ VirulentX - 70 - P100 | Harlakk - 70 - P92 | Ascaroth - 60 - P10 | BrahmanX - 1 - P0 ]=-
    | VIRALIST: 65 |

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast