+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poison bug

uku
    Soulwalker

Default Poison bug

After some time of comparing our rogues 61 sin parses on Goloch I have found a huge difference in poison damage between some of our rogues.

So after a morning of testing with one of my guildee's we have found that poisons do not gain dps from buffs (any stat or dmg upgrade including trinket swaps and flaring) put on after you apply them.

So basically if you were to buff up after a wipe with no buffs except your consumables and apply your poisons they would only gain the dmg based of your stats at that moment you apply..

So any other raid buffs, fanfares and motifs etc... will not work towards your poison damage until you re-apply your poisons afterwards.

This also works towards talents based of procs such as increased firepower from the marksman tree, which cant really be applied before a boss fight unless done so on trash.

I'm sure this works towards any buff similar to Poisons such as Munitions or Tact engines.. as well as other classes abilities, however, I have only tested this with 61 assassin so far.

I have the difference in dps for malicious poison alone to be in the 7-800 dps range from 2 similarly geared rogues, one using poisons after his buffs are up and the other before. Over all it seems to be around 1200-1400dps loss overall just on passive poison dmg.

Haven't tried it out myself in game, but if it actually is the case as stated in the OP, then its just the old bug regarding these buffs.

This happened ages ago, and people would pop trinkets and other buffing abilities before applying things like leeching poison, charged shield, etc.

afaik they've patched them all to dynamically update their values depending on your current stats.

If its happening again, it would probably be because the coding for the new poisons introduced in SL was copy/pasted from old code and then modified with new effects.

They'll fix it, probably.

... whenever they eventually get around to it.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

RIFT Guide Writer

I don't see any evidence of this bug existing. I tried it and poison damage is calculated dynamically, not at the time of the cast.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    I don't see any evidence of this bug existing. I tried it and poison damage is calculated dynamically, not at the time of the cast.
    You're right that poisons are definitely calculated dynamically, but I've seen similar things to the OP where I got some truly bizarre fluctuations in poison damage.

The other day I had 3 parses in a row of 5 minutes each where Lethal Poison did 20% more damage than Virulent Poison. That is way outside the possibility of RNG. Then it went back to normal.

I don't really get it at all, but there is something weird going on with poisons.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    Haven't tried it out myself in game, but if it actually is the case as stated in the OP, then its just the old bug regarding these buffs.

This happened ages ago, and people would pop trinkets and other buffing abilities before applying things like leeching poison, charged shield, etc.

afaik they've patched them all to dynamically update their values depending on your current stats.

If its happening again, it would probably be because the coding for the new poisons introduced in SL was copy/pasted from old code and then modified with new effects.

They'll fix it, probably.

... whenever they eventually get around to it.
    Gosh this is going back to the days of ROS, but didn't this bug exist in some completely impractical sense? Like the damage was recalculated whenever you gained an Attack Power buff, or something? So if you were dummy parsing, you could get the effect, but in a raid, you lost it as soon as the bard cast a Motif.

Anyone remember something like this?
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 04-30-2013 at 03:08 PM.

uku
    Soulwalker

These are some screenshots in foundry on PTS showing the tooltip damage on malicious changing based on when the poisons were buffed.. Suppose it could just be a tooltip error however as previously stated there is something weird with poisons and I'd like to think all this is not a coincidence and really just crap RNG we have to deal with.

This is buffing poisons before entering foundry.
    http://d.pr/i/7ur9

This is buffing poisons after entering foundry
    http://d.pr/i/rTna

This is buffing poisons after foundry as well as after hitting a dummy with jagged to give talent procs
    http://d.pr/i/5Nkg

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    You're right that poisons are definitely calculated dynamically, but I've seen similar things to the OP where I got some truly bizarre fluctuations in poison damage.

The other day I had 3 parses in a row of 5 minutes each where Lethal Poison did 20% more damage than Virulent Poison. That is way outside the possibility of RNG. Then it went back to normal.

I don't really get it at all, but there is something weird going on with poisons.

Gosh this is going back to the days of ROS, but didn't this bug exist in some completely impractical sense? Like the damage was recalculated whenever you gained an Attack Power buff, or something? So if you were dummy parsing, you could get the effect, but in a raid, you lost it as soon as the bard cast a Motif.

Anyone remember something like this?
    The thing going on with poisons is the nature of their RNG. For a normal ability the only real variance you have is from crit chance but for poisons you get a second variable which is the amount of those poison procs and this counts double during Poison Malice. I've had parses with 800 dps difference just from Malicious Poison when one parse had a large amount of procs with good crit rate and another parse had a low amount with low crit rate.

It is the nature of large variance to provide patterns which look weird such as a higher damage poison doing less damage in a parse and it is human nature to look for those patterns and draw wrong conclusions. People are just underestimating the highly random nature of assassin parses.

General of Telara

I looked at this a lot when we were testing specs prior to SL release and what I saw was poison damage (tooltip and of course the corresponding DMG you see) functions dynamically. The fluctuation in DPS is more a matter of how often the poison is procing rather than a perceived bug. This is really sucky for Assassin sometimes because of how important those poisons are for our DPS. Malicious Poison is especially troublesome because it also keeps your energy up. I remember posting about this when we were all parsing for the devs but I guess it wasn't important

+ Reply to Thread