+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fresh Lvl 60 - Which Specs are *needed*?

Soulwalker

Default Fresh Lvl 60 - Which Specs are *needed*?

Hi,

As the Title states I'm about to hit 60 and trying to get into endgame.
    I'm currently wondering which specs I should work on first.
    Until now I only used leveling specs (Granpas, Muspels Hundred Blades and a bit Martian) and one tankspec for randomdungeons but I guess it's time to get rid of 4Tactician and 8RS on every spec

I guess I'll need at least 1 Ranged dps, 1 Support and 1 Meleedps spec. Additionally I would like to keep one soloing spec (probably Bladedancer i love it .) and maybe a tankspec?

Are there any specs that excel above average in 5mans?
    I only tanked so far and did have fun doing so but I'm a bit afraid of limiting myself to only tanking if I go for Toughness instead of Hit. I guess with time I'll be able to get both a viable tankequip and dps/support-equip but this will require some daily grinding - so what should i go for first?

Marksman is the most commonly used spec in 5-mans for a few reasons: it has great utility, solid ST, and decent (although not great) AoE. Also, its energy problems aren't as bad as some other specs. It's a solid starting point, because it's useable on pretty much every fight. It's also not a bad choice for most raid encounters.

61BD is the only melee spec that's consistently useful in dungeons. Assassin and NB-Sin are better sometimes, but both of them have severe energy issues without the energy cost reduction buff, and usually they're only used in raids.

Currently, I carry around the following builds:
    • 61RS/8Ranger/7Bard (for tanking)
    • 61MM/10Sin/5NB (For hardmode Progenitor and dungeons)
    • 44NB/32Sin (for Regulos and hardmode Kain. I'd also consider using this on Crucia if I didn't tank that encounter)
    • 61Sin/10MM/5NB (for Goloch. I also use this for a handful of 5-man bosses if there's a chloro healer)
    • 41Tact/35MM (for hardmode Gelidra and Matriarch. I use this on dungeon trash sometimes if I think there's time to swap specs)
    • 51BD/21RS/4Tact (for soloing. I tend to swap different specs into this slot when needed. It used to be 61tact, then it was 61BD for a while, and I might replace it with Ranger when the new 10-man comes out)

Overall, that combination covers pretty much all of your needs. There's some of leeway-- for instance, 61 Assassin is nice to have, but only really gets used on one boss, so you can swap it out for something else if desired.

I'd say that 61MM is not really negotiable. It's invaluable for dungeons, and it's also pretty good while you're learning the raids. The rotation is simple, and the extra mobility will help you to survive when you're getting used to bosses you've never seen before. The rest are up to you, but you should have at least one or two melee specs in there.

RIFT Guide Writer

I would suggest this lineup of specs for you if you want to be able to do everything:
    NB/Sin, Melee DPS
    Tact/MM, AoE/Ranged DPS
    61 MM, Utility/Ranged DPS
    61 RS, Tanking
    61 Bard, Support
    Solospec

I would go for dps gear first since guilds won't take you to tank with bad gear but you can get decent dps gear crafted and be ready for raiding quite fast.

Unlike Muspel I wouldn't consider 61 MM as an invaluable spec though. It's almost never an optimal spec to play and I often go weeks without using it, I only switch to it for a couple of bosses in expert dungeons. It's newbie friendly but the sooner you learn to migrate out of it the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Unlike Muspel I wouldn't consider 61 MM as an invaluable spec though. It's almost never an optimal spec to play and I often go weeks without using it, I only switch to it for a couple of bosses in expert dungeons. It's newbie friendly but the sooner you learn to migrate out of it the better.
    I agree that it's rarely optimal, but it's close to optimal in a lot of different situations. Until you know the encounters well enough to decide which tool is the best, you should stick with the swiss army knife.

61MM also has a purge and an interrupt with silence, so if you don't get brought for your DPS AND you don't fill in a tank or support slot, at least you can speak up when interrupts or purges are needed. Beats being a simple sword bot with inferior DPS when you lack equip.
    A witty saying proves nothing
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

I would suggest this lineup of specs for you if you want to be able to do everything:
    NB/Sin, Melee DPS
    Tact/MM, AoE/Ranged DPS
    61 MM, Utility/Ranged DPS
    61 RS, Tanking
    61 Bard, Support
    Solospec

I would go for dps gear first since guilds won't take you to tank with bad gear but you can get decent dps gear crafted and be ready for raiding quite fast.

I agree with this. I've dropped my 61MM spec and don't miss it. However, I would like to add MM is a good spec for learning mechanics when you first start.

Don't make the mistake of playing 61MM on trash though or relying too heavily on it, I'm sick of outparsing rogues as a defiler (the cleric support/healer spec). By the time you're in EE past progenitor or on/past twins, you should already be comfortable with other specs. There are encounters where you simply cannot play MM without being a liability to your raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I agree that it's rarely optimal, but it's close to optimal in a lot of different situations. Until you know the encounters well enough to decide which tool is the best, you should stick with the swiss army knife.
    In my opinion the swiss army knife spec for rogues is NB-Sin. MM is a spec you can sometimes play, NB-Sin can be played on every encounter.
    Last edited by Mayi; 04-28-2013 at 03:02 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    In my opinion the swiss army knife spec for rogues is NB-Sin. MM is a spec you can sometimes play, NB-Sin can be played on every encounter.
    I'm preeeetty sure you can play MM on every encounter too!

Edit:

The defiler example is kinda bad for most fights. Your ST is mediocre at best, most of their dps comes off of splash aoe... which aren't exactly useful in very many fights.

Its great for padding dps, though.
    Last edited by MoonfireSpam; 04-28-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Soulwalker

Okay thanks so far

Few questions:

1. No mentioning of Ranger (or Ranger/MM hybrids)? Isn't it the current top ranged build?
    2. Is there any updated guide of Tact/MM? Is it still possible/viable to clip torrents?
    3. Regarding the supportspec I was leaning towards the 40bards/36tact spec mentioned in the Bard Healing 101. Is this no longer superior to 61Bard?
    4. Nb/Sin not viable in 5mans? That sucks I love melee
    Last edited by Lawrenor; 04-29-2013 at 12:26 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrenor View Post
    Okay thanks so far

Few questions:

1. No mentioning of Ranger (or Ranger/MM hybrids)? Isn't it the current top ranged build?
    2. Is there any updated guide of Tact/MM? Is it still possible/viable to clip torrents?
    3. Regarding the supportspec I was leaning towards the 40bards/36tact spec mentioned in the Bard Healing 101. Is this no longer superior to 61Bard?
    4. Nb/Sin not viable in 5mans? That sucks I love melee
    1. Ranger got buffed but it's still not really worth it. I'd say it's viable but not necessary and this thread is about specs which are needed.
    2. Clipping is still possible in theory but I don't think it's at all worth it anymore.
    3. Both specs have their uses. If the fight requires constant aoe healing then 40/36 can be a good idea but if it doesn't or your healers have no problems then you are better off with 61 bard.
    4. NB/Sin is viable for 5-mans.

4. NB/Sin is viable for 5-mans.
    Viable, sure, but it's not great. It's really bad on target swaps due to the long CD on Expose Weakness and the ramp-up time on Fiery Spike. It also has energy problems. I'd tend to recommend Bladedancer for 5-mans over NB-Sin.
    Last edited by Muspel; 04-29-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Nothing in 5mans lives long enough to have energy problems. At least not for me.
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Ymirson View Post
    Nothing in 5mans lives long enough to have energy problems. At least not for me.
    Clearly, you get a higher caliber of PUG DPS than I do. I'm lucky if the rest of the group can break 2k. Combined. Meanwhile, I'm sitting at 12-14k.

I hate PUGs. I hate them so much.
    Last edited by Muspel; 04-29-2013 at 07:40 AM.

European servers rule. Unless you get a french group.
    - Voltaire
    - Edward Abbey

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrenor View Post
    Hi,

As the Title states I'm about to hit 60 and trying to get into endgame.
    I'm currently wondering which specs I should work on first.
    Until now I only used leveling specs (Granpas, Muspels Hundred Blades and a bit Martian) and one tankspec for randomdungeons but I guess it's time to get rid of 4Tactician and 8RS on every spec

I guess I'll need at least 1 Ranged dps, 1 Support and 1 Meleedps spec. Additionally I would like to keep one soloing spec (probably Bladedancer i love it .) and maybe a tankspec?

Are there any specs that excel above average in 5mans?
    I only tanked so far and did have fun doing so but I'm a bit afraid of limiting myself to only tanking if I go for Toughness instead of Hit. I guess with time I'll be able to get both a viable tankequip and dps/support-equip but this will require some daily grinding - so what should i go for first?

For range spec use thenew ranger spec for st and tact for aoe
    for melee use 61 sin, NB/sin

Anything BUT 61 MM.

Quote Originally Posted by oakk View Post
    For range spec use thenew ranger spec for st and tact for aoe
    for melee use 61 sin, NB/sin

Anything BUT 61 MM.
    Ranger does worse than MM on any fight that requires frequent target swaps, which include most of the fights where you'd want to play ranged to begin with.
    Last edited by Muspel; 04-29-2013 at 11:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast