+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Why Do Most Rogues Not Have AoE Specs?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    People are saying MM has its role and place in PvP, and that that place is not in CQ.
    Conquest is not so much PvP as it is a rolling blob of incompetence and profanity.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Conquest is not so much PvP as it is a rolling blob of incompetence and profanity.
    I don't always like posts, but when I do, I prefer poetic accuracy.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 04-16-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Bring back Firefly

PvP just means player vs player, so of course conquest is pvp.

It's just a format that most players aren't familiar with, they haven't played large scale pvp battles before. When conquest first started it was very messy but has been slowly progressing and becoming more organized.

I'm hoping as time progresses the pvp becomes more and more organized until it's at a point where it resembles other large scale pvp games.

Either way, I think it's inexcusable for a rogue to not have an aoe spec. You can disagree about conquest, but the majority of pugs I've don't have aoe specs for dungeons and raids too. I think they believe rogue=MM and that's all they can play.
    Last edited by Mayi; 04-17-2013 at 04:05 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    but the majority of pugs I've don't have aoe specs for dungeons and raids too. I think they believe rogue=MM and that's all they can't play.
    Fixed it for you.
    A witty saying proves nothing
    - Voltaire
    One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork.
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Either way, I think it's inexcusable for a rogue to not have an aoe spec. You can disagree about conquest, but the majority of pugs I've don't have aoe specs for dungeons and raids too. I think they believe rogue=MM and that's all they can play.
    I think on some level you need to recognize that you can't tell others what to do, and you can't call behavior you don't like "inexcusable".

If someone places himself under your authority voluntarily, that is one thing. Starting a CQ premade or being an officer in a guild, for example. By joining such a group/guild, players put themselves under your authority, and they are free to leave if they don't like your leadership.

However, players who have been placed randomly on teams together do not have to obey someone, just because they claim authority. Someone who happens to be placed on your CQ team or happens to get thrown in with you in a random expert dungeon--this person does not have any need or reason to obey you. If you want him to listen, you'll have to earn his trust or respect. Calling his behavior "inexcusable" is probably not a good way to do that.

I see these arguments often applied to clerics in WFs who don't play healing roles. They are insulted, belittled and told they are playing the wrong class if they want to DPS. The people spitting this venom at DPS clerics are wrong.

Even if it would help the team stay alive if a Cleric went heals--and even if it would help the group clear a dungeon faster if a rogue went AOE--they are not compelled to do so. They are allowed to play their own style and at their own pace. If you don't like it, you can either leave the group or suck it up and carry on.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 04-17-2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Bring back Firefly

Yes of course I can't compel someone to play the specs I want them to, but even pugging raids on my alts is difficult because people don't have any dps spec but MM. I can't compel someone with the LFG system, which is why the LFG systems suck - especially since you're punished for queuing in pvp as a group because you'll be tagged as a premade. It's the biggest downside to Rift, there's no incentive to better yourself.
    Last edited by Mayi; 04-17-2013 at 07:00 AM.

MM might just be one of the easiest roles to pick up and learn to play. They hit 60 on their rogue and need *something* to play. MM can do pvp, pve, has some aoe, so they figure they'll get that. Hopefully eventually they branch out and get better specs.

It's funny, but the "new rogue go to" used to be bard. You'd see multiple newby rogues trying to bard in a pug. Now it seems many rogues don't even bother to get bard. Instead of 1 bad rogue put on barding we now have 3+ bad rogues doing poor MM dps in pugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    I think on some level you need to recognize that you can't tell others what to do, and you can't call behavior you don't like "inexcusable".

If someone places himself under your authority voluntarily, that is one thing. Starting a CQ premade or being an officer in a guild, for example. By joining such a group/guild, players put themselves under your authority, and they are free to leave if they don't like your leadership.

However, players who have been placed randomly on teams together do not have to obey someone, just because they claim authority. Someone who happens to be placed on your CQ team or happens to get thrown in with you in a random expert dungeon--this person does not have any need or reason to obey you. If you want him to listen, you'll have to earn his trust or respect. Calling his behavior "inexcusable" is probably not a good way to do that.

I see these arguments often applied to clerics in WFs who don't play healing roles. They are insulted, belittled and told they are playing the wrong class if they want to DPS. The people spitting this venom at DPS clerics are wrong.

Even if it would help the team stay alive if a Cleric went heals--and even if it would help the group clear a dungeon faster if a rogue went AOE--they are not compelled to do so. They are allowed to play their own style and at their own pace. If you don't like it, you can either leave the group or suck it up and carry on.
    On the other hand, if you are willingly not providing what would cause the group to succeed instead of fail, you are the problem. Even in random groups where there's no true leadership, you're still signing up to be part of a team. The horrid WF matchmaking system doesn't help matters though.

AoE specs could only possibly be a problem of this nature in PvP groups though. There's no reason it would be required in any dungeon, though it does make the trash in Empyrean Core significantly easier if you have a squishy tank. But queueing for dungeons without at least a few guildmates is a bad idea usually anyway.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 04-17-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    On the other hand, if you are willingly not providing what would cause the group to succeed instead of fail, you are the problem. Even in random groups where there's no true leadership, you're still signing up to be part of a team. The horrid WF matchmaking system doesn't help matters though.

AoE specs could only possibly be a problem of this nature in PvP groups though. There's no reason it would be required in any dungeon, though it does make the trash in Empyrean Core significantly easier if you have a squishy tank. But queueing for dungeons without at least a few guildmates is a bad idea usually anyway.
    I've been in a group with 0 or 1 healer(s) that trashed a team with 3-4 healers. It's about skill and teamwork as much as it is about composition. Its literally impossible to correctly blame a single person's spec for a loss. If they were a bad player, they would be bad any spec. Good players are good in any spec.

Are people actually saying MM is bad?
    Apparently so. Purging is overrated.

Buff MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I laughed, because its true.

But only because conquest came into Rift's existence far too late. Those pvp guilds who rolled out entire raids and more for world pvp have long gone or have retired from pvping.

y'know. The ones who have actual large-scale pvp specs, organization and coordination.

Not the whole "Oh, I'm going to go semi afk in conquest in my pve spec" people that makes up your average CQ pug.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Not everyone quit, I came into Rift from one of those pvp guilds. I stuck around after they quit because I forgot how much I liked raiding, I had taken a ~5 year brake or so before Rift.

Condemned is also a pvp guild, they came back to Rift after SL.
    Last edited by Mayi; 04-19-2013 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    But only because conquest came into Rift's existence far too late. Those pvp guilds who rolled out entire raids and more for world pvp have long gone or have retired from pvping.

y'know. The ones who have actual large-scale pvp specs, organization and coordination.
    I have thought about this as well. If CQ would have came out in the summer of 2011, there would have been some intense fights.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6