The current ranger doesn't really have a purpose for its existence. Full ranger lacks the dps and utility of MM or MM/Ranger hybrid and therefore no one is using it. Ranger rotation is also extremely simple and as such not fun.
The spec that parses highest is this: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#zkllaGGlaB4/y9E/wn0
On average it parses about 200-300 below 61 MM so it's close but still inferior and it relies on the pet. Aoe dps is also bad and if any aoe is needed then ranger is not the right build to bring.
Pet crit power scaling seems bugged and it caps at 500 crit power which gives the max bonus. After that pet gains nothing from crit power. This is the same with all pet builds for all callings.
- Trick Shot combo points come with such a long delay that they are wasted a lot of the time. (this is also an issue with fiery chains)
- Concussive Blast is a finisher and ruins your dps if you need to use it.
- Ravenous Instincts is worse than Feral Instincts although it's higher in the tree. So the ability is useless until you get Multiple Instincts which is further into root than Ravenous Instincts. In fact it's barely even better than Predatory Instincts.
HOW TO FIX IT
- Reduce the duration of Ace Shot to 10 seconds.
- Increase the bonus to Quick Shot damage on Thrill of the Kill to 10%/20% from 5%/10%.
- Add 5% crit chance bonus to Ravenous Instincts.
- Make Trick Shot by default the current improved version and have it award the extra combo points immediately. Change Improved Trick Shot to give a selfbuff which adds a ricochet to your next finisher, ricochet would do half of the damage done to the primary target to 5 nearby enemies.
- Change Concussive Blast to just be a regular aoe interrupt without the damage component instead of a finisher. It doesn't even work as dps increase anymore after the Opportunity change during beta.
The result would be that Ace Shot becomes a big part of the rotation and gives it an extra element to keep it more interesting. Maximizing dps is then a matter of optimizing the uptime of Splinter Shot and trying to refresh Ace Shot as late as possible. The Ace Shot and Thrill of the Kill changes cancel each other out regarding dps as you need to use more of the lower damage abilities than before and the goal is to increase the damage per ability difference between them so optimizing the uptime well is noticeable in dps. The main balance change to dps is the extra crit chance for Ravenous Instincts and it should be enough to push it around 200-300 ahead of 61 MM which has more mobility, range and utility. The Trick Shot changes would give it some efficient cleave.