+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: To many rogues?

Shadowlander

Default To many rogues?

Maybe a silly question but...

I just returned and have played through all the classes to roughly 20 and fooled around with souls to get a feel for most of them. I am a melee brawler at heart, with a love for healing so in the end I settled for my rogue.

Now it seems to me as if the class balance is slightly off in terms of population since I see rogues everywhere. It might be that I am paranoid but those of you that raid seriously is there an abundance of rogues at 60? Or is it roughly balanced in the end (and consequently that I am just paranoid...)?
    Last edited by Dvergr; 04-04-2013 at 10:40 AM.

From what I've seen there are a ton of rogues in pvp at 60 but not many in pve. I'm not sure why there's so many in pvp either, rogue isn't that strong of a pvp class.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Not enough good rogues in either pvp or pve imo

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    From what I've seen there are a ton of rogues in pvp at 60 but not many in pve. I'm not sure why there's so many in pvp either, rogue isn't that strong of a pvp class.
    Rogues are "cool" apparently.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Shadowlander

Thanks for the answers - so I am not just paranoid in the end but I am mostly into PvE anyway (in Rift) where it seems to be ok

Did you purposefully use the word to instead of too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvergr View Post
    Thanks for the answers - so I am not just paranoid in the end but I am mostly into PvE anyway (in Rift) where it seems to be ok
    Yea, rogue is good in pve except our ranged soul is crappy imo. If you enjoy melee you won't have issues.

If you mainly enjoy ranged I'd point you to mage and tell you to never look back. Rogues started out very strong at range (it got nerfed) then another broken build (it got nerfed) then there's been buffs across every other class' ranged souls except rogues. I don't think we're meant to be competitive with other classes at range like mages.
    Last edited by Mayi; 04-04-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Did you purposefully use the word to instead of too?
    Sorry - I am not a native English speaker and often use to/too in the wrong way.
    Last edited by Dvergr; 04-04-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Rift Master

Yea, rogue is good in pve except our ranged soul is crappy imo. If you enjoy melee you won't have issues.

If you mainly enjoy ranged I'd point you to mage and tell you to never look back. Rogues started out very strong at range (it got nerfed) then another broken build (it got nerfed) then there's been buffs across every other class' ranged souls except rogues. I don't think we're meant to be competitive with other classes at range like mages.
    I'd argue it's less about range vs. melee, and more about how much button mashing you want to do. I enjoy my rogue at range far more than my mage because of the shorter GCD and lack of cast time/channel attacks (MM AoE not withstanding). Feel far more involved, than a mage where it's hit a button, wait 2-3 seconds, hit another...

Plane Walker

Rogues are usually the class in MMOs that attract the most people because they think it means they'll be some badass ninja death machine. I've actually seen many people argue in a number of games that "in one versus one the rogue should win because it's their job to kill".

Usually the emergence of FotMs will change the balance some from the initial rogue heavy attraction. In Rift's case the rogue, though not always the top FotM, has been steadily strong. In another thread Daglar basically said rogues are the least likely to receive a nerf due to the MMO trend toward rogues as the most popular class. If only they tried to take the same attitude toward all classes at the same time, as rogues actually have a nice balance in them, with some outliers. Compare that to the expression of fear that clerics will come out of the woodwork when clerics get good things.

Never enough rogues.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggoth1890 View Post
    Usually the emergence of FotMs will change the balance some from the initial rogue heavy attraction. In Rift's case the rogue, though not always the top FotM, has been steadily strong. In another thread Daglar basically said rogues are the least likely to receive a nerf due to the MMO trend toward rogues as the most popular class. If only they tried to take the same attitude toward all classes at the same time, as rogues actually have a nice balance in them, with some outliers. Compare that to the expression of fear that clerics will come out of the woodwork when clerics get good things.
    This is dumb. The class that's been consistently good through Rift's history is Warrior and Chloro. There's never been a time they've been underpowered through all Rift's history, and if they were they were hotfixed buffed.

Cleric isn't underpowered either, there are just a lot of bad clerics.

In my experience, there is a ton of Rogues and Mages, and, comparatively, much less Warriors and Clerics.
    Rootyy@Greybriar <Too Many Buttons>
    12/13 T1 || 2/4 GA
    Reality is for people who don't play video games.
    Rootyy == Moirain == Euphemia == Saiyu

This is dumb. The class that's been consistently good through Rift's history is Warrior and Chloro. There's never been a time they've been underpowered through all Rift's history, and if they were they were hotfixed buffed.

Cleric isn't underpowered either, there are just a lot of bad clerics.
    PVP Specifically :

Beginning of SL how were the Warriors feeling? They've got one spec working atm which is OP, but outside of that...kinda short on options.

Pre-valor buff/Pre-broken Veil how were Chloro's feeling? Interesting that you've disregarded every other soul from Mages. Not exactly a glowing endorsement for the class.

Clerics are fine currently, but how about Pre-valor buff? How about pre-Inquisitor changes for instant cast BoJ? Instagib free kills, must all be bad clerics!

Rogues on the other hand, have a ton of viable specs. Hybrids work for them. 1sec GCD and instant abilities on the move make them far more versatile. How many useless souls are sitting in the Rogue class in regards to PVP?
    Bard\Tac (My personal favorite)
    NB\RS
    Tac\NB
    NB\Assassin
    MM\Tac
    MM\Ranger
    Sab

Bladedancer is the only one I don't see get much play but I'm certain there is a viable build out there with it.

OK, I'll play.

Clerics:
    - pre insta cast BoJ there are still a ton of options for clerics. I did just as well on my cleric leveling up before hitting level 57 as I'm doing now at 60. There are a ton of instant cast attacks in other souls that are cheap and usable on the move.
    - pre-valor buff it was harder to stay alive for a cleric in pvp as a healer yes

Warriors:
    - when SL hit warriors were nowhere near underpowered. The problem with the class was there was constant changes so people hadn't found/weren't willing to look for good combinations. If anything they were more overpowered then then they are now which is what lead to most of the changes.
    - having options is the dumbest argument ever in my opinion. Why would you need options when you have one spec that's so versatile. It always ends up with asking for everything else to be equally overpowered to be competitive with the one spec they use so just as overpowered in every role.

Mages:
    - mages have two good options: chloro and dom. I agree their dps options aren't the best right now from what I've seen, but I've also seen people say clerics didn't have good dps options in pvp, which is nonsense since inquisitor is a better dps spec in pvp then anything rogues have. I'll buy in though since I don't have my own mage to tell.
    - chloros were not caring about valor whatsoever since their healing is not tied to damage.

Rogues:
    - rogues are once again balanced within the class and not across classes. That's not a bad thing, but we don't pvp with only other rogues. Plus, some of those specs you listed are bad.

My general sense of others pvp feedback is this: clerics and mages will always call rogues OP because they associate their deaths with rogues when playing a healer. We're their nemesis, clerics also tend to try to pair up with warriors to pvp (almost never rogues) so they never complain about warriors for some reason. Warriors will always call for more buffs for themselves no matter how they're doing. The result is a bunch of garbage feedback until rogues end up weaker then other classes. Then the other classes keep crying anyways because they might die occasionally to a rogue.
    Last edited by Mayi; 04-05-2013 at 06:21 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast