+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank help

Shadowlander

Default Tank help

Hey, I just hit 60 about a week ago and I've decided to attempt tanking, I've almost gotten enough gear to tank experts but I'm in need of a really good quality spec. If anyone knows one I'd appreciate the help a lot . Thanks

Check out the guide in my signature. It should cover pretty much everything you need to know.

Rift Master

One quick question for you Muspel:
    For Experts (i.e NOT RAID), do you think the additional mitigation gained from Anthem of Glory would be worth sacrificing the 2% healing bonus from a point in Stage Presence?

Quote Originally Posted by Caldorian View Post
    One quick question for you Muspel:
    For Experts (i.e NOT RAID), do you think the additional mitigation gained from Anthem of Glory would be worth sacrificing the 2% healing bonus from a point in Stage Presence?
    Some quick napkin math shows that for a tank in expert gear, the extra armor from Anthem of Glory would reduce physical damage taken by ~1.46%. The extra resistances reduce elemental damage by ~1.45% (and would reduce the amount of damage the rest of the party takes, as well).

But there are two cleric DPS specs that give the resistance buff already, which makes things a bit muddier.

Overall, I'd say it's an interesting trade-off. You'll need slightly more healing overall (which can be bad), but you'll be able to survive slightly longer without any heals (which is useful if your healer gets stunned by certain boss mechanics). On a magic-heavy fight where you already have an inquisitor or shaman, though, it's worse. Same thing if you end up in a group that has a bard (or an archon, but nobody uses archons in experts).

*shrug*

There's not really a clear-cut answer. Personally, I'd say that it's not worth spending a role slot on something that's so situational, particularly when you consider how tiny the difference is even in optimal circumstances.

EDIT: Also, come to think of it, I have no idea if armor affects bleeds. I've never bothered to check, but if it doesn't, then the spec becomes a bit more situational.
    Last edited by Muspel; 04-04-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Some quick napkin math shows that for a tank in expert gear, the extra armor from Anthem of Glory would reduce physical damage taken by ~1.46%. The extra resistances reduce elemental damage by ~1.45% (and would reduce the amount of damage the rest of the party takes, as well).

But there are two cleric DPS specs that give the resistance buff already, which makes things a bit muddier.

Overall, I'd say it's an interesting trade-off. You'll need slightly more healing overall (which can be bad), but you'll be able to survive slightly longer without any heals (which is useful if your healer gets stunned by certain boss mechanics). On a magic-heavy fight where you already have an inquisitor or shaman, though, it's worse. Same thing if you end up in a group that has a bard (or an archon, but nobody uses archons in experts).

*shrug*

There's not really a clear-cut answer. Personally, I'd say that it's not worth spending a role slot on something that's so situational, particularly when you consider how tiny the difference is even in optimal circumstances.

EDIT: Also, come to think of it, I have no idea if armor affects bleeds. I've never bothered to check, but if it doesn't, then the spec becomes a bit more situational.
    Testing with BM indicates that bleeds are affected by armor (though they shouldn't be).
    Misterwar <-Virus-> 5/11 Warborne <Yakisoba> 5/11 Warborne <Apotheosys> 0/11

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    Testing with BM indicates that bleeds are affected by armor (though they shouldn't be).
    I actually think it makes sense for them to work that way. Keep in mind that the tanks are balanced around fairly similar mitigation numbers, but each tanking soul gets a different portion of their mitigation from armor. If bleeds bypassed armor, then it'd become a minor balance issue, since they'd bypass more mitigation on a Void Knight than, say, a Riftstalker.

Rift Master

Interesting. You're right, I'd say situational, but for different reasons. If you're raid-level geared, yes, I'd agree with you, not worth the slot.
    However, looking back at the OP, where he's freshly geared, and only tanking experts. I'd say the point would probably make a difference. With his lower HP and base armor vs. a raid geared tank, the longer survival is probably a better trade off, giving a PUG healer a bit longer to react. Especially since you're providing that bonus to the group too where group heals are at a premium in most instances.

As for the elemental argument, I'd say more often than not, if you have a cleric in your group, they're the healer (or defiler), rather than DPS, and you aren't going to have his elemental resistances.

+ Reply to Thread