+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New Rogue soul: thoughts?

Rift Master

Default New Rogue soul: thoughts?

Well, since the mages are going all gung hoe about it, wishing their next soul is a tank soul (ew), curious what the rogue community thinks their next soul should be.

The obvious choice is a pure healing soul. However, I have no desire for that. Would have rolled a cleric if I wanted to be a dedicated healer. Instead, I think our next soul should be a new tanking soul. Warriors have had 3 tankig souls from the beginning, giving a dedicated tank lots of options on how they want to roll. However, we've been pretty much pigeon-holed into a single spec, with some minor off-soul stuff our only way to differentiate. I think a brand new soul with completely different play style would be awesome and bring back some rogue love.

Thoughts?

Pure healing soul.

The whole idea of "I would have rolled X if I wanted to play Y" simply doesn't fit into Rift's class paradigm. We have already have rogue tanks and mage healers, for crying out loud, and those are things you don't see in most fantasy settings.

I want a ninja as my rogue soul. Basically a DPS soul that is versatile in either melee or range (maybe not top at each). It just sounds like it could have some fun possibilities.

Or a thief. Someone that can steal enemy hearts and make them fight for your side, maybe steal buffs, steal healing affects. I'm not sure how it would work in rift cause it'd royally suck to have a relic weapon stolen in pvp lol. And how would stealing things work in raids? I am not familiar with thief classes in mmos at all. They have one in FF?

My other idea was expanding the idea that rogues could really be in tune with nature. Like a geomancer. I know but in FF tactics a geomancer was a physical class, that wore light armor and had a giant Axe. Each geomancy affect did damage sure but its main attribute was stat altering and CC. So I was thinking a geo type class for rogues that could also be seen as offensive support in a way. Basically a rogue so intuned with nature that they can call upon it to do whatever to the opponent. Entangle them in vines, turn them into stone temporarily, all sorts of ideas.

So ya, ninja, thief, or naturalist/geomancer is all the ideas I have right now. I'd love to hear more.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Pure healing soul.
    I'd really like this with one caveat: **** or get off the pot. Such a pure healing soul should be a functional raid healer. No *****footing around with some sort of healish hybrid missing essential features like, say, a cleanse. I count character classes being able to handle more roles as a positive. Helpful for facilitating a raid or dungeon or whatnot and leveraging the major strength of the soul system.

Call it an Alchemist, make it a little micro-management intensive, and there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    I want a ninja as my rogue soul. Basically a DPS soul that is versatile in either melee or range (maybe not top at each). It just sounds like it could have some fun possibilities.
    Nightblade.

Nightblade.
    No I was mentioning a soul it didnt have. A ninja. Specializes in using rope and dagger attacks to manipulate enemy positioning, can throw smoke bombs to teleport enemies or allies alike across the battlefield, maybe some hi end teleport multi attacks similar to a harbinger, and lets not forget the five point palm exploding heart technique. The enemy takes five steps they go poof!
    Xenohart

Third post about it and I'm sure it won't be the last!

2-hander for rogues. Katanas.

A different kind of melee that is designed differently, something creative like attacks that get charged up or takes advantage of positioning like how assassins do with skills that can only be used from behind the target or do more damage.

Trion please. I haz cookies.
    Last edited by Delmlord; 03-28-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    No I was mentioning a soul it didnt have. A ninja. Specializes in using rope and dagger attacks to manipulate enemy positioning, can throw smoke bombs to teleport enemies or allies alike across the battlefield, maybe some hi end teleport multi attacks similar to a harbinger, and lets not forget the five point palm exploding heart technique. The enemy takes five steps they go poof!
    Nothing in there is anything new. Marksman can manipulate enemy positioning, Riftstalker can teleport enemies (and as we've seen with Archon, teleporting allies isn't very useful), Riftstalker has teleport multi attacks, and Barbed Shot damages enemies that move. And what I meant was that we already have a hybrid melee/ranged spec, and that's Nightblade.

Just blending together a few abilities from souls we already have is boring, and not the kind of thing I want from a new soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Delmlord View Post
    Third post about it and I'm sure it won't be the last!

2-hander for rogues. Katanas.

A different kind of melee that is designed differently, something creative like attacks that get charged up or takes advantage of positioning like how assassins do with skills that can only be used from behind the target or do more damage.

Trion please. I haz cookies.
    If rogues got 2-handers, I'd rather see them use quarterstaffs. Particularly for tanking, because martial quarterstaffs are badass.

If rogues got 2-handers, I'd rather see them use quarterstaffs. Particularly for tanking, because martial quarterstaffs are badass.
    That works too haha
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

Pure healing soul.

The whole idea of "I would have rolled X if I wanted to play Y" simply doesn't fit into Rift's class paradigm. We have already have rogue tanks and mage healers, for crying out loud, and those are things you don't see in most fantasy settings.
    You mentioned a healing soul. How would a rogue go about doing this? like a chemist, or alchemist type class? That could be fun. I think it'd be fun to be able to mix different abilities back to back for a variety of different affects too.

However, I do have a concern, is that the new souls they come out with usually match the theme of the expac or whatever is coming (usually being only one time so far lol). I think the next expac puts us into using the infinite gate and going into the planes, outerspace, whatever. So I'm trying to think, tact used the megitech part of SL in its new calling, I also wonder what the theme of the new soul would be dispite its role and how a healing soul would fit the theme to itself.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 03-28-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    Xenohart

Rift Disciple

Monk melee healer with 2 hander sticks/poles/staffs.
    Last edited by qwaszx; 03-28-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    Trmo
    Rogue Peasant
    Last Dawn@Zaviel
    EE 5/5 | FT 4/4 | TotDQ 4/4 | GA 4/4 EU 5th

Plane Walker

Yep,
    Plus one for the monk vote.Bottomless pouch of stars for ranged attacks, Sai's or those shorter stick things Steven Segal style for duel wield lol. 2 handed katana's or staves.Could have the sickle and chain weapon work a little like a beam attack.Bola's (sp) as a snare or stun or even interrupt (where they would land around someone/thing's neck). Feign death pulling! ahh, memories of EQ1.

If it was done right, a monk class could be very VERY cool to play.

Next thing you know people would be wanting pandas!

There's the theme of the game to consider, and nowhere in the entire game are there references to oriental elements. None of the enemies, none of the towns, none of the npcs. As far as Rift is concerned, things like ninjas, shurikens, monks, etc do not exist.

Now they may choose to create an area inspired by the east in a future expansion... but that'd go back to my panda comment.

_____

As far for the rogue healer bit, I'm kinda ambivalent. The folks who are good at their class would likely be good in almost any role/class they play... meaning that good rogue healer would also likely be a good dps and probably one of your better tanks.

Not enough good raiders to go around. Adding a soul granting us validity in a different role doesn't do anything for me, I guess.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

EQ2 Swashbuckler AoE melee rogue specialized in debuffs and had tank buffs that helped with threat on the tank. It just had so many cool tools extended reach was awesome could melee from 10 meters, debuff mobs while still putting up some great numbers. I loved pushing my numbers to make sure tank could keep threat all the time.

It was also a pirate what's cooler than that for a rogue.

When you called me delusional I laughed so hard I almost fell off my unicorn!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast