+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Random Shot to the Berries?

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Default Random Shot to the Berries?

Whats the deal with nerfing Sentry Battery? Was that overpowered? See a lot of exploits with an almost completely unused AOE?

Why a max of 5 targets instead of 8 like every other AOE in the game?

Random crap going on right now. I love reading through 2 pages of mage/warrior buffs and then seeing them sling around unfocused rogue nerfs. Zzz.

My reading of the hotfix notes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    We noticed several rogues smiling last week, and have attempted to rectify that situation in this hotfix.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 03-27-2013 at 08:11 AM.

They didn't nerf Cadenza so I'm happy. Get good Dunny.
    An accurate depiction of me by Aessah@Shatterbone | Annoying Bard | TDQ:4/4 | FT: 4/4 | EE: 5/5 | HM: 2/4 |GA: 3/4

You really thought the previous state of Sentry Battery made sense in an already extremely useful and high DPS single-target ranged spec?

Either way it's a fix not a nerf to go along with the Tactician abilities that now have a target cap. Abilities with no target cap are a nightmare to balance as we have seen.

8 and 10 target AoEs are normally reserved for AoE or hybrid specs, for both damage and healing. Marksman should have just stuck with Chain Destruction for AoE IMO, maybe Sentry Battery could be made into something more useful.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 03-27-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Rift Master

Here's the thing with Sentry Battery: It's a royal PITA to get 5 targets lined up tight enough that SB can hit them all. If you can get 8 or 10 lines up, all the more power too you. And it wasn't that powerful; It was just powerful enough that you didn't feel like you were dragging your feet through mud, but you were never posting great numbers.

Plus, combine this now with the fix to force it to stop at the target selected. The targeting selection is this game is so horrible that there's no where I can guarantee that I'm selecting the mob in the back unless it's a permanently stationary target. What should have been done was they made it a 35m range, regardless of selected target, since it's now had it's target max set.

Rift Chaser

Yeah, I understand why it was made 5 targets (just like the other aoes in MM) but I still wish they would have made it 8 since its a pita to aim.

I kind of agree. It is pretty useless now. They should just make it go without selecting a target. Also they should make rain of arrows move while channeling that would be awesome..

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmemory View Post
    I kind of agree. It is pretty useless now. They should just make it go without selecting a target. Also they should make rain of arrows move while channeling that would be awesome..
    Devs forgot Ranger existed once they nerfed hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    Devs forgot Ranger existed once they nerfed hybrid.
    Ranger's DPS is actually just about equal to Marksman's on the dummy (and may pull ahead in raids if you sync cooldowns properly). I'm also fairly sure it has stronger AoE.

The main issue is that the pet can't keep up with moving targets, so in practice, you don't actually beat Marksman. Plus, MM has better target switching and boatloads of utility.
    Last edited by Muspel; 03-27-2013 at 10:37 PM.

I did not understand the change either, but I'm used to being behind every class in AoE and single target dps by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Ranger's DPS is actually just about equal to Marksman's on the dummy (and may pull ahead in raids if you sync cooldowns properly). I'm also fairly sure it has stronger AoE.

The main issue is that the pet can't keep up with moving targets, so in practice, you don't actually beat Marksman. Plus, MM has better target switching and boatloads of utility.
    Yeah, Devs forgot Ranger existed once they nerfed hybrid.

They nerfed sentry battery because smart rogues like me would use it with vampiric munitions in CQ. Since it extended past the target all I had to do was tab to someone and spam it with my trusty stopcast macro that made me never run out of energy while still doing 5k plus aoe dps. The reason I smiled was because I would also do over 2k HPS to myself if not more since I would literally have vampiric on every single person in range on the opposing raid.

Bad for pve (honestly isn't really useful anyways), but fantastic balancing for pvp.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Orangu View Post
    They nerfed sentry battery because smart rogues like me would use it with vampiric munitions in CQ. Since it extended past the target all I had to do was tab to someone and spam it with my trusty stopcast macro that made me never run out of energy while still doing 5k plus aoe dps. The reason I smiled was because I would also do over 2k HPS to myself if not more since I would literally have vampiric on every single person in range on the opposing raid.

Bad for pve (honestly isn't really useful anyways), but fantastic balancing for pvp.
    So I guess pvp changes do affect pve after all.
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    So I guess pvp changes do affect pve after all.
    Meh, MM was always intended as a more single target DPS spec with AoE options.

Besides, there are more aspects to rift than pve.

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Orangu View Post
    Meh, MM was always intended as a more single target DPS spec with AoE options.
    Realy? Besides the iconic AoE souls (sab/tac), how many other souls in the game have 6 AoE skills in it? I dont understand why they added Chains nor Sentry to a soul with so many AoEs already.

If SB was going past the target then THATS a fix that was needed, nothing else. To be able to get more than 8 players constantly in PvP (and assuming its fixed to not go beyond the target) you need to #1 Be good beyond belief #2 be against stupid players. Neither of those are reasons to change it. Right now a Mage can throw all dots on an extractor, recall them and run to a group Aoeing the **** out of 6 players with 2 clicks. One GCD gets them 15 of multi dots on 6 targets. The difference is the mages damage stays for the full duration while in SB the extra targets only needs to side step to cancel all damage.
    Last edited by Gynxz; 03-28-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Any power with no cooldown should not be hitting infinite targets, period, unless it literally drains your entire mana/energy/power bar in one GCD and thus it can be balanced.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 03-28-2013 at 02:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast