+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1-60 leveling build?

Prophet of Telara

Default 1-60 leveling build?

I checked the guides section and the leveling builds are either pre-SL (meaning outdated) or customized for 50-60 only. Can anyone please point me to a 1-60 leveling build? I think it's this one but there could be another one.

I have no preference whether melee or range as long as there's little downtime between kills and I can handle multiple mobs. As a reference, I leveled a mage to 60 using a Harb/Chloro build so I could kill elites or group quests with ease, kill mobs 3+ levels higher than me, and survive 5+ mobs attacking me.

Thank you.

Shadowlander

You can go basically any spec as long as you have 8 RS and 4 tact. Between the healing from Boosted Recovery after kills and the heal-on-hit

I prefer going for 38 Tact /30 MM /8 RS, but that Nightblade spec is also perfectly viable. Both are really good aoe specs.

In terms of the tactician variant, get 8 RS 4 tact first, then fill up Tactician with spillover into MM. I found this most efficient personally, never had any kind of downtime unless I was taking on a really huge group of mobs.

A lot of people also swear by Bladedancer, but you need to micromanage the buffs a little more so it's not quite so brainless.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
    You can go basically any spec as long as you have 8 RS and 4 tact. Between the healing from Boosted Recovery after kills and the heal-on-hit

I prefer going for 38 Tact /30 MM /8 RS, but that Nightblade spec is also perfectly viable. Both are really good aoe specs.

In terms of the tactician variant, get 8 RS 4 tact first, then fill up Tactician with spillover into MM. I found this most efficient personally, never had any kind of downtime unless I was taking on a really huge group of mobs.

A lot of people also swear by Bladedancer, but you need to micromanage the buffs a little more so it's not quite so brainless.
    What's your killing speed in Tact against even-leveled mobs? 10s? 15s? 20s?

My mage harb/chloro kills in 15s and the Granpa spec someone said in that thread the killing speed is about 15s so I'm wondering about the tact variant.

Thanks!

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by m1nus View Post

My mage harb/chloro kills in 15s and the Granpa spec someone said in that thread the killing speed is about 15s so I'm wondering about the tact variant.

Thanks!
    killing speed is not a definite number.... gear, mobs, level of mob, level of character, skill, etc. all effect killing speed.

IMO when comparing to harb/chloro, killing speed of tact is faster but survivability is quite a bit lower.

keep in mind with tact you can kill 5 mobs at the same speed you kill 1
    Last edited by fD123; 03-15-2013 at 08:20 AM.
    Icecubetray - 60 Rogue
    Bongmaster - 60 Mage
    Tronzilla - 60 Warrior
    Herpzalot - 60 Cleric
    Stickybudz - 55 Cleric

Shadowlander

Thanks!
    Probably about 15s or less, though it's been a few months since I had to level up and I'm pretty solidly geared now so it's not a good indicator.

Obviously, as has been said, you can take down a huge group of mobs at the same speed someone else would take down one.

As long as you're constantly killing mobs in a big group, you'll get the trickle healing from Boosted Recovery and it's really easy to keep going.

Keep up curative core and you'll rarely run out of energy or health.

Prophet of Telara

So now the choice is do I go melee as NB or range as MM? Looking at the talent tree, it seems I won't be able to use a lot of the MM abilities in close/melee range until I am able to put a point into Close Quarters Combat. I think this will be a bit of a problem since most mobs that I will encounter while leveling are melee mobs so I'm gonna choose the NB variant... for now.

Champion

by the way, at lvl 50 whats the easiest way to get 50 toughness so I can tank a classic expert dungeon?

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by garethh View Post
    by the way, at lvl 50 whats the easiest way to get 50 toughness so I can tank a classic expert dungeon?
    tank regular AP, CC, CR as the quests and dungeon drops will have toughness

there is craftable stuff you may find on the AH, but less likely
    Last edited by fD123; 03-15-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    Icecubetray - 60 Rogue
    Bongmaster - 60 Mage
    Tronzilla - 60 Warrior
    Herpzalot - 60 Cleric
    Stickybudz - 55 Cleric

Champion

So now the choice is do I go melee as NB or range as MM? Looking at the talent tree, it seems I won't be able to use a lot of the MM abilities in close/melee range until I am able to put a point into Close Quarters Combat. I think this will be a bit of a problem since most mobs that I will encounter while leveling are melee mobs so I'm gonna choose the NB variant... for now.
    Marksmen kite, you have near permanent 35% bonus movement speed with the class so being out of melee range isn't really a problem. Also mobs under lvl 15? 20? tend to move allot slower than normal mobs.

It's do-able, twilight force is a really nice kiting move though too.

Quote Originally Posted by fD123 View Post
    tank regular AP, CC, CR as the quests and dungeon drops will have toughness

there is craftable stuff you may find on the AH, but less likely
    <3
    Last edited by garethh; 03-15-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Shadowlander

If you go for the tactician/marksman/riftstalker setup, you basically never use any marksman moves. All the tactician moves can be used at range or in melee, no difference.

MM itself isn't that great for soloing until you have solid gear, due to general mob density when kiting.

Expecting to use a single spec to level from 1-60 is kind of silly.

For 1-40, I always found zero point Ranger for pig pet, combined with assassin/rift build to work nicely. Have pig tank while you backstab as assasin, 8 pts RS rest in Assassin till level 40.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetness View Post
    Expecting to use a single spec to level from 1-60 is kind of silly.

For 1-40, I always found zero point Ranger for pig pet, combined with assassin/rift build to work nicely. Have pig tank while you backstab as assasin, 8 pts RS rest in Assassin till level 40.
    Not really. I know more than one Rogue who has used the Tact/MM/RS from 1-60, it is completely possible and probably best as well. I've also seen Ranger/MM go all the way from 1-60 using pets. That's just Rogues, most mages I see leveling currently stick to Chloro/Harb the whole way as well. Clerics use Shaman I believe. All from 1-60.
    Lathais@Deepwood - <The Praetorians> - 60 Rogue
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

Thanks!
    I'm late to the party here, but....

I never worried about kill speed until I was already level 51 on my rogue and finally installed the simple meter add-on for my cleric. Kill speed in the low 50's was about 7-8 seconds vs the SL mobs. As I leveled up the kill speed got longer until it's not averaging about 11 seconds per mob, but considering they've got 80K hit points, that's still over 7K dps, usually. This is in the Granpa's build. some fights are a little faster if the crits and procs line up, and some are a little slower, but 11-12 seconds is pretty normal.

FWIW, my cleric takes about 16-17 seconds, my warrior takes 12-14, and my mage (still 56) takes about 14-15, so the rogue's the fastest kill speed overall for me when solo.

+ Reply to Thread